What's new
The last firmware I released was the December 2021 one on https://issues.tattiebogle.net/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=mantis:ide_simulator:firmware - it contains some Namco stuff, and some other stuff (like USB writes working better for the ATAPI ZIP drive emulation).

The only issue I was aware of I didn't release a fix for yet is the one mentioned in January which was an electrical one - I think it's a bug in the game's IDE driver scanning the bus too fast. It likely wasn't a problem on much older firmwares as they didn't support device 0/1 and couldn't share the bus (and just pretended to be not present when drive 1 was selected), so the signals looked 'right' to the game. It turned out these games would boot with either drive though, so setting the PCB to device 1 with the "interface set slave" command in autorun.txt would allow the game to start as normal anyway.

The last firmware I released was the December 2021 one on https://issues.tattiebogle.net/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=mantis:ide_simulator:firmware - it contains some Namco stuff, and some other stuff (like USB writes working better for the ATAPI ZIP drive emulation).

The only issue I was aware of I didn't release a fix for yet is the one mentioned in January which was an electrical one - I think it's a bug in the game's IDE driver scanning the bus too fast. It likely wasn't a problem on much older firmwares as they didn't support device 0/1 and couldn't share the bus (and just pretended to be not present when drive 1 was selected), so the signals looked 'right' to the game. It turned out these games would boot with either drive though, so setting the PCB to device 1 with the "interface set slave" command in autorun.txt would allow the game to start as normal anyway.
I just tried this on mine, can confirm it's working as intended.

Don't try physically swapping the power and game USB port around, didn't make a difference. Very quickly create the text file, put it in the root of your games USB/SD card and it works perfectly, tested with Capcom fighting jam and SC2 - admittedly I'm still struggling with Bloody Roar 3, just black screen still...

I'll leave that for now - I'm off to play some SC2! Thanks @electric_monk !

I'm still using the version of firmware that shipped with the device.
Aka old as could be, anyway the point is for me ALL these games work with zero issue...
  • Soul Caliber 2
  • Soul Caliber 3
  • Capcom Fighting Jam
  • Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection
  • Tekken 4
I don't own any more original dongles/memory cards than this (NOT a reprogrammable dongle/memory card user).

I'm still using the version of firmware that shipped with the device.
Aka old as could be, anyway the point is for me ALL these games work with zero issue...
  • Soul Caliber 2
  • Soul Caliber 3
  • Capcom Fighting Jam
  • Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection
  • Tekken 4
I don't own any more original dongles/memory cards than this (NOT a reprogrammable dongle/memory card user).
The Namco 256s seem a bit less volatile than the 246s, I think the odd revisions here and there are the ones that seem to be struggling more. Hoping to get my hands on a 256 myself soon - I need Super Dragon Ball Z and Tekken 5DR in my life!

Awesome that you own the original dongles of those games too, I've got a couple gundams and Tekken 4 but that's it.

I just tried this on mine, can confirm it's working as intended.

Don't try physically swapping the power and game USB port around, didn't make a difference. Very quickly create the text file, put it in the root of your games USB/SD card and it works perfectly, tested with Capcom fighting jam and SC2 - admittedly I'm still struggling with Bloody Roar 3, just black screen still...

I'll leave that for now - I'm off to play some SC2! Thanks @electric_monk !
Hey @Devil_mish - for Bloody Roar - what is the format of the CD image?

Matt

Hey @Devil_mish - for Bloody Roar - what is the format of the CD image?

Matt
Hey @mathewbeall funny you should ask I just stumbled across that post from a few pages back and I've been messing with it the last 20 minutes, converted to bin and cue, tried to change the CSV file to make sure it's looking for .cue instead of .toc but that's where I'm at right now!

Hey @mathewbeall funny you should ask I just stumbled across that post from a few pages back and I've been messing with it the last 20 minutes, converted to bin and cue, tried to change the CSV file to make sure it's looking for .cue instead of .toc but that's where I'm at right now!

Yes - this is what I was going to ask! Bin/Cue... :)

I wish I had a lightgun setup for my LCD.
I miss the TC series.
I don’t mind helping out as I do own all of them in kit form. I will say that it’s extremely tough to put together, especially time crisis 4. The games that do “support” LCDs are Time Crisis 3, Crisis Zone, Time Crisis 4, Vampire Night, and Cobra the Arcade (which is another great HDD 256 game). They use CCD cameras or IR pcb/gun sensors. I’ll write up a post about the setups soon. The most challenging part is always the wiring.

Last edited:
I’ll write up a post about the setups soon. The most challenging part is always the wiring.
Yea man I'd be interested in reading what you've put together.
Youtube video would be great too (I have watched some of your demos showing light guns already).

I hate to let money dictate setup, as I just want to have the best experience period.
The unfortunate reality of the situation is I've picked up both a M72 multi and a CPS1 multi in the last 2 months....
My arcade budget is wiped (my regular budget ain't looking so hot either). :P

P.S. Buy my R-Type 2 PCB :D

Yea man I'd be interested in reading what you've put together.
Youtube video would be great too (I have watched some of your demos showing light guns already).
Time Crisis 4/Cobra the Arcade are the most costly of the bunch. I’m not sure if anyone has tried out the standard 256 version of TC4 as I haven’t and I have an actual super 256. I didn’t have the wiring for TC4 and it was a huge pain to wire it all up and setup. Thank goodness for the online pdf or else I would have been out of luck.😅 I did also get an original gun but the wiring was all ripped up and I also had to rewrite the gun. The CCD camera/traditional optical light gun setups are much easier, it’s just the hard to find I/Os and Gun sensors that are a pain. I did reverse engineer the ccd camera gun pcb but I haven’t done much testing due to life getting in the way. I’ll definitely do my post about the setups and the long awaited video series! Stay tuned! :)

Yes I think he meant u @electric_monk

This is the command I used:

chdman extractcd -i bldyr3b.chd -o bldyr3b.cue -ob bldyr3b.bin

Sorry to loop this back to Bloody Roar 3 - I've got the .bin and .cue files now via the script command but I'm still just getting a black screen. What other changes were needed to be made to get it running? Did you have to amend the CSV to 'point' the Pi booter to look for a .cue file instead of a .toc or did you have to rename the .cue file to .toc or anything mental like that?

No I used the cue and bin
BR3 will only run on a 246 - are you using a 246?
Hmm, I'll try re-extract and cross my fingers, thanks. Yep running on a 246, Smash Court and Tekken 4 work perfectly, Bloody Roar is the final one that I'm struggling with.

Sorry to loop this back to Bloody Roar 3 - I've got the .bin and .cue files now via the script command but I'm still just getting a black screen. What other changes were needed to be made to get it running? Did you have to amend the CSV to 'point' the Pi booter to look for a .cue file instead of a .toc or did you have to rename the .cue file to .toc or anything mental like that?

Yes - you have to edit the CSV file as well to point to the cue file.

Back