What's new
The point being made is that the checkout process doesn't actually specify which courier and service is being used. I can attest that there are huge differences between the three, at least where I live. Some will allow you to make the necessary customs declaration yourself, some will just have you pay a service charge for it.

covid shipping is stupid......
if you choose cheaper shipping it is not guaranteed

every package I have ordered to China using USPS International Priority mail has never made it to me
THIS INCLUDES:
2x Dreamcast HDMI kits
1x Gamecube SD loader
5 books from PENN state university

the last package i bought from PENN State was 5 books and at a total of $212 dollars the shipping was .......... $219 over $400 american dollars for 5 books

The JAMMA extractor is great, but let me say this no matter which JAMMA capture/extractor it is only as good as its capture card. Magewell is that answer.
I will be visiting their factory in China, to get better prices to the consumer. Right now Magewell is sold by 2nd parties.... so I hope to cut that down.

HERE GUYS:
View: https://youtu.be/hfrTS2Ks7Nk

Devices: Darksoft CPS2 Multi-kit \ Axunworks JVS-JAMMA Supergun \ Sony PVM

CAPTURE SETUP: Darksoft CPS2 Multi-kit \ Axunworks JAMMA Extractor 1.0 \ Axunworks SCA-101 \ OSSC \ Magewell 4K capture card

* No RGB or brightness adjustments made.
*No OSSC tweaks made.
- You can tweak these for personal optimal settings.
- I just did default settings to show you what you get.

RESOLUTIONS:
Video Resolution with boarders = 3840 x 2160 (4K)

Captured Video Resolution from CPS2 to OSSC x5 = 1600x1200 (2K)

PRODUCTS USED:
Axunworks JVS/JAMMA SUPERGUN Axunworks SCA-101 SCART SWITCHER Axunworks JAMMA Extractor
http://axunworks.com/

OSSC Video Scaler:
https://videogameperfection.com/produ...

Magewell USB-Capture-HDMII 4K Capture Card:
http://www.magewell.com/products/usb-...

A note from me: The retro capture scene needs to be more open.
Quit keep secrets to keep your videos "better" than the "competition" So what's the secret?..........
Magewell Capture cards are not cheap and sold by re-sellers around the world. They are the only cards that handle weird resolutions from retro systems correctly.
I plan to visit their factory soon to get better prices for those that want to make the jump to the best capture card.

PS: I love axunworks and all his products, they work have high quality build and no wait list!
Does this mean you have to wait? yes it does but when your money is accepted your order will come to you. No need to come to AP projects and ask where am i on the list?
I have been invited to the Magewell headquarters here in China. <3

Last edited:
If I may, I think it would be for the best to not specifically namedrop other items and creators who may be selling similar products. I think the small community of people who these products are aimed at is well aware of the small handful of options that exist and the creators behind them, and frankly, every option comes with its pros and cons.

I think it would be for the best to be amicable to one another; it's a small enough community, let's keep things respectful. I just recently received an email a day or two ago that my extractor has shipped- quite a number of months after I placed the order. I'm patient enough, it's all just video games at the end of the day and I'm still (at least until I've actually received the product) happy with my purchase, but I don't exactly get the greatest feeling financially supporting creators/projects who would purposefully tout the negatives of their competitor's products or claim that they simply "don't exist" because they're facing the same electronics shortages as all creators are. Even if they weren't, it's still in poor taste to be so blunt about it, imo. I'm all for competition- it's good, but I don't think I'm alone in suggesting that no one product is greater than the rest, and in such a small community, it would be greatly appreciated if said competitors/creators were respectful to one another in their advertising.

Reactions: XeD
If I may, I think it would be for the best to not specifically namedrop other items and creators who may be selling similar products. I think the small community of people who these products are aimed at is well aware of the small handful of options that exist and the creators behind them, and frankly, every option comes with its pros and cons.

I think it would be for the best to be amicable to one another; it's a small enough community, let's keep things respectful. I just recently received an email a day or two ago that my extractor has shipped- quite a number of months after I placed the order. I'm patient enough, it's all just video games at the end of the day and I'm still (at least until I've actually received the product) happy with my purchase, but I don't exactly get the greatest feeling financially supporting creators/projects who would purposefully tout the negatives of their competitor's products or claim that they simply "don't exist" because they're facing the same electronics shortages as all creators are. Even if they weren't, it's still in poor taste to be so blunt about it, imo. I'm all for competition- it's good, but I don't think I'm alone in suggesting that no one product is greater than the rest, and in such a small community, it would be greatly appreciated if said competitors/creators were respectful to one another in their advertising.
I'm all for being polite and respectful to each other but I think pointing out the pros and cons and stating that your product is the best isn't in itself unsavory. I for one would love to hear the reviews on youtube and see comparisons to other similar products. I do this with anything. Shoes, motorcycles, fishing poles, air fryers. This is my hard-earned money after all. I haven't purchased any of these devices yet because I am waiting on an unbiased review of them.

I for one would love to hear the reviews on youtube and see comparisons to other similar products. I do this with anything. Shoes, motorcycles, fishing poles, air fryers. This is my hard-earned money after all. I haven't purchased any of these devices yet because I am waiting on an unbiased review of them.
I agree, though I think it's fair to assume that these reviews are more often than not done by a third party/consumer, and not the person making the product themselves. Imo, big big difference between joe-shmo retrogamer895 on youtube comparing each product, and one of the developers coming out directly and saying "Do you like the NACSplitfire? ok fine, but we are actually shipping units..". A good tongue-in-cheek joke if it was coming from these third-party reviewers, but again, imo, in poor taste coming from the person selling the competing product. Also different in that this is a small community with most of these creators having actual 9-5s to support making these products on the side; not a honda vs toyota where people are making multi-millions careers not-so-subtly referring to their competitors as "the other guys."

The context is important and I would much rather see supportive in-good-faith competition, rather than tear-down bad-mouthing competition in a community such as this.

Scarlet Sprites on youtube will do the review very soon.

@GeeDee I am just poking some fun, I have you know I am still on the waiting list for the Nacsplitfire because I still want one ;)
I have just been waiting a loooooooong time now.....
Lets call this motivational fun, not tearing down......
I'm all for being polite and respectful to each other but I think pointing out the pros and cons and stating that your product is the best isn't in itself unsavory. I for one would love to hear the reviews on youtube and see comparisons to other similar products. I do this with anything. Shoes, motorcycles, fishing poles, air fryers. This is my hard-earned money after all. I haven't purchased any of these devices yet because I am waiting on an unbiased review of them.

The JAMMA extractor is great, but let me say this no matter which JAMMA capture/extractor it is only as good as its capture card. Magewell is that answer.
I haven't seen that much of a difference between capture cards in terms of quality when testing various ones. Some have better compatibility on weird resolutions. In general I've been very happy with USB3HDCAP for capturing stuff.

The thing that I've seen the biggest difference is how you scale the input in software, as well as encoding settings. I don't really bother tuning this much myself nowadays, but just settle for "good enough" :)

A note from me: The retro capture scene needs to be more open.
Quit keep secrets to keep your videos "better" than the "competition" So what's the secret?..........
I agree, which I why I made https://github.com/buffis/betsubetsu :D
In terms of secrets/openness, it's maybe a weird position of you to take considering the axun capture device has the IC markings scratched off on the PCB ;)

That said, I don't really have a problem with wanting to keep their design "secret". Got mine today, and looks very very well built, especially considering the low cost. Looking forward to trying it out! Also obviously has a lot more features than the other options.

Very nice that there's more options for these types of devices. Splitfire looks pretty good, but the waiting list for it is way to long. I made BetsuBetsu mostly so I could have something for my own capture, and have no intention to bother with production of them for sale (which is why design is open).

Haven't tried out the Axun one yet, but feels solid, and design looks like it should be good!

axun.jpeg

I have the USB3HDCAP and Magewell, the USB3HDCAP just will not do 1600x1200 x5 but 1080p just fine and dandy :D
USB3HDCAP is a great device, i hope they fix their software capture issue soon, the problem came from adobe suspending flash or something like that

I really can't stand that USB capture devices.
Had only issues with them + I don't want extra stuff on my desk/ PC Case.
I wish there was a PCI(e) Capture card that would take those wonky OSSC resolution outputs and that would be available.
I really would like to test one of those Magewell cards, thou I don't see me spending 500+ on a captutre Card. :D

I really can't stand that USB capture devices.
Had only issues with them + I don't want extra stuff on my desk/ PC Case.
I wish there was a PCI(e) Capture card that would take those wonky OSSC resolution outputs and that would be available.
I really would like to test one of those Magewell cards, thou I don't see me spending 500+ on a captutre Card. :D
My magewell is not USB capture... it is the PCI 4K HDMI Pro

In that case tell them to send me one asap! XD
Would love to review it.

I have the USB3HDCAP and Magewell, the USB3HDCAP just will not do 1600x1200 x5 but 1080p just fine and dandy :D
That's an interesting point. For 4K capture, then USB3HDCAP is definitely not the way to go.
I thought it only supported 1080p :)
For retro stuff though, that doesn't really matter much though. OSSC is just doing linemultiplication and since it's digitized you can go ahead and do further multiplication in software if that's your thing :)

Basically, your best bet if you want to record 15khz (240 scanlines) in 4K for some reason is probably to digitize it with X3 (720p) and then have your software multiply it 3X again to 2160 lines, which is what 4K uses.

Huge disclaimer: I don't have a Magewell capture card. Since it's a lot pricier than the USB3HDCAP, I wouldn't be too surprised if it performs better in some ways. I haven't tested it.

I just received my Jamma Extractor, and while it works in splitting the signal, I am having a brightness attenuation problem with it. Both the image displaying on my cab and on the output of the SCART is blown out, especially any bright imagery. When I remove the extractor from between the Jamma connection to my cab and game, the image displays fine. The RGB ADJ potentiometer only adjusts the SCART output, and it just dulls the image, doesn't fix the attenuation, it displays a duller blown out image. I don't see any other controls on the extractor that help with this issue. Did I miss something?

Image on my cab with the extractor connected:
IMG-6701.jpg

Without the extractor:
IMG-6693.jpg

With the extractor:
IMG-6683.jpg

Without:
IMG-6690.jpg

Other then this problem it seems like a good product!

Last edited:
I just received my Jamma Extractor, and while it works in splitting the signal, I am having a brightness attenuation problem with it. Both the image displaying on my cab and on the output of the SCART is blown out, especially any white imagery. When I remove the extractor from between the Jamma connection to my cab and game, the image displays fine. The RGB ADJ potentiometer only adjusts the SCART output, and it just dulls the image, doesn't fix the attenuation, it displays a duller blown out image. I don't see any other controls on the extractor that help with this issue. Did I miss something?

Image on my cab with the extractor connected:
IMG-6701.jpg

Without the extractor:
IMG-6693.jpg

With the extractor:
IMG-6683.jpg

Without:
IMG-6690.jpg

Other then this problem it seems like a good product!
If RGBS is output from SCART and VGA, it is sufficient for home display equipment under normal circumstances. If it is used for street cabinets, if you feel that the RGB brightness is insufficient, you can remove the R26 R27 R28 resistor. These resistors are conservatively set. Don’t worry, the brightness will increase after removing them, which can be adjusted by RGB ADJ
Sorry, due to the wide variety of arcade cabinets, I set it conservatively.
Hope to provide you with more help

axun-.jpg

Thank you for your response.

Sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear in my previous message. My main cabinet display is also TOO BRIGHT when the extractor is connected. The images I posted above are taken of my main cabinet display, but the SCART output looks the same (is too bright) on both my PVM and flat-screen through an OSSC. Would removing these resistors lower the brightness? Would the signal still be safe to use on home display devices like the OSSC? I am hoping I do not have to make hardware modifications to make the image display correctly.

I have tested it on 2 different jamma cabinets and have the same problem on both.

Last edited:
Thank you for your response.

Sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear in my previous message. My main cabinet display is also TOO BRIGHT when the extractor is connected. The images I posted above are taken of my main cabinet display, but the SCART output looks the same (is too bright) on both my PVM and flat-screen through an OSSC. Would removing these resistors lower the brightness? Would the signal still be safe to use on home display devices like the OSSC? I am hoping I do not have to make hardware modifications to make the image display correctly.

I have tested it on 2 different jamma cabinets and have the same problem on both.
You mean when the extractor is connected, the RGBS output from SCART and VGA is normal on the monitor, but the JAMMA output of the extractor is too bright, right?

You mean when the extractor is connected, the RGBS output from SCART and VGA is normal on the monitor, but the JAMMA output of the extractor is too bright, right?
No, when the extractor is connected the output to both the SCART and the JAMMA is too bright. I have not tested the RGBS connection yet, but I am assuming it would be too bright also.

(I will test RGBS tomorrow.)

No, when the extractor is connected the output to both the SCART and the JAMMA is too bright. I have not tested the RGBS connection yet, but I am assuming it would be too bright also.

(I will test RGBS tomorrow.)
In this case, there is no need to remove the resistor, which is safer. Removal will only make it brighter. SCART and VGA-RGBS output is too bright, you can adjust RGB ADJ.
If JAMMA is too bright, you need to adjust the input potentiometer of the arcade cabinet.

In this case, there is no need to remove the resistor, which is safer. Removal will only make it brighter. SCART and VGA-RGBS output is too bright, you can adjust RGB ADJ.
If JAMMA is too bright, you need to adjust the input potentiometer of the arcade cabinet.
Its not a matter of turning down the RGB ADJ or adjusting my monitor on my arcade cabinet unfortunately, I am loosing details with the image being too bright. When I adjust the RGB ADJ on the extractor or the brightness on my monitor the image just looks dingy and washed out. I do not regain the lost detail.

I will do more testing tomorrow. I do very much appreciate your assistance with this Axun!

Back