What's new
I used a really light foam (i think it was spare ESD foam from an Arrow.com order) and it didn't do enough to dampen my tweeters. It's such a pain in the ass to remove the speakers that I think I'll just live with it. One option for me might be to get some tweezers that can fit and allow me to stick another layer in there without dismantling the whole goddamn thing.

It might be worth it for you @mR_CaESaR to run the machine headless with the back still off (but rebuilt speakers installed) to test it all before your final re-assembly. If you have the -001 loom with RCA inputs you could just plug in any old source with the powersupply on and it would work. No need to connect a board. Maybe play a gameplay video from youtube of some games you like. I wish I had thought of that earlier.
Yeah I'll definitely do some testing before I put everything back in..I agree, it's the biggest PITA to get to these speakers..

Since I'm doing a whole respray on my blast, it'll be a while before the cab gets put together anyway.

If anyone is going to remove their crt / speakers from a blast and can take some measurements with some good quality pics/video I would greatly appreciate it.

Also, are ytou guys looking to replace just the speaker box/drivers to use stock amp or are you guys looking to replace the stock amp? Replacing the stock amp definitely gives you more options as far as drivers to use.
Yo @Derick2k What measurements do you need. I'm about to get some custom speaker boxes one way or another. Been trying to learn as much as I can about building speakers. I ordered the aura ns23 and the tang band speakers they both seem to fit the channel. PIcs to follow

Yo @Derick2k What measurements do you need. I'm about to get some custom speaker boxes one way or another. Been trying to learn as much as I can about building speakers. I ordered the aura ns23 and the tang band speakers they both seem to fit the channel. PIcs to follow
Daaaamn

Best bet might be for someone to redesign the existing enclosure to fit a driver that is readily available. The new enclosure can be 3D printed.

I found some speakers that are the same dimension and only need very little modification to fit the stock blast speaker enclosure. The only down side is that they are 8 ohms. I dont know much about the amps in the blasts but can they handle 4 ohms? Or should i wire them to 16 ohms?

I dont have a working dremel at the moment so i cant cut the brackets off and show the fit but i lined them up with the old speakers and they are pretty much exactly the same size. They are Sharp 1004PB408A. Just need to trim off the side brackets and drill 4 holes and thats it!

81xYL0wJGlL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Edit:
Found my working dremel and this is just a quick test fit. I think if I trim the plastic a tiny bit it will fit perfect

Front.jpg

Top View.jpg

Last edited:
If they are 8 Ohm speakers, you can wire each speaker in the box up in parallel instead of in series (the default wiring).

Yeah i was thinking about that the only issue is that i don't know if the Blast amp can handle a 4ohm load. I could do them in series and have it as a 16 ohm load but that will cut the volume. Again that won't be too bad because the original speakers were shot from day one so i have nothing to compare to. I just assume that this info here is correct and i'm not missing something haha
2021-01-21 15_58_12-Speaker Wiring Configuration Diagrams _ Eminence Speaker.png

I just dont want to blow anything in the cab :)

Well, I finally installed my Aurasounds that I ordered a year ago. Better late than never!

I think these are a fine replacement. I don't see any reason to look for better alternatives. Cheap too! Here's how I installed mine.

The Aurasounds are slightly wider than the original drivers. For better fitment I dremeled a millimeter or so from both sides. Before and after pics:

aurasound_mod_1.jpg

aurasound_mod_2.jpg

Then I modeled this adapter plate and printed it:

aurasound_mod_3.jpg

Here's the Aurasound sitting in its adapter inside the speaker enclosure:

aurasound_mod_4.jpg

Looks good to me! Not a whole lot of bulging. What's great is that the four original screws will hold the driver down perfectly. You could put some silicone for a better seal, but I went without.

Here's a stock speaker and the refurbished speaker below it:

aurasound_mod_5.jpg

The adapter plate is attached as an .stl if anyone else wants to use it.

Attachments

• aurasound_adapter.zip
    10.3 KB · Views: 176
Nice work... but looking at those pictures I badly want to stick a big-ol chamfer on corners of one side so you have a nice ramp to the larger width instead of a step...

Nice work @nem too bad I already swapped my speakers out. Don't forget to muffle those tweeters. I even thought about completely disconnecting them.

Reactions: nem
Very cool! I finally got a working monitor in my blast and quickly figured out that the right speakers are thrashed. This will help out a ton. Thanks for sharing the STL!

That's awesome work on the STL! I have my dodgy version of chaulk :D

I'll need to replace mine as well as the sound is cracking when I crank the volume up.

would anyone print those out for me or tell me how to get them printed?

Back