What's new
I was lazy yesterday, so I just threw rounded corners on the thing for version 2. However, I know that wasn't what @twistedsymphony asking for. So here's version 3:

aurasound_mod_7.jpg

aurasound_mod_8.jpg

But nem, doesn't a shroud cover the speaker in all cases and you can't actually see the thing? Yes, yes it does :p

Echoing @everten, the tweeter sounds pretty harsh to my ears. So I modeled this cap for it:

aurasound_mod_9.jpg

Threw some foam inside it and the sound certainly isn't worse!

aurasound_mod_10.jpg

Anyway, that's included too as an attachment if you want to mess with it. It's a tight fit so should stay in place by just pressing it in.

Attachments

• aurasound_adapter_3.zip
    10.5 KB · Views: 239
  • tweeter_cap.zip
    6.3 KB · Views: 229
@nem looks really good now!

I am curious what the issue with the tweeter is.

They are obnoxiously tweety and pointing directly at your ears so it's a very harsh sound. Are tweeters really necessary in this setup considering the main speaker sizes?

I was lazy yesterday, so I just threw rounded corners on the thing for version 2. However, I know that wasn't what @twistedsymphony asking for. So here's version 3:

aurasound_mod_7.jpg

aurasound_mod_8.jpg

But nem, doesn't a shroud cover the speaker in all cases and you can't actually see the thing? Yes, yes it does :p

Echoing @everten, the tweeter sounds pretty harsh to my ears. So I modeled this cap for it:

aurasound_mod_9.jpg

aurasound_mod_10.jpg

Anyway, that's included too as an attachment if you want to mess with it. It's a tight fit so should stay in place by just pressing it in.
These designs are amazing! Thanks for your hard work and for sharing nem! When re-fitting these back into the Blast cabinet is there any binding since these speakers are a few millimeters wider on either side? Do you have to force them back in place, or do they slide in easily?

When re-fitting these back into the Blast cabinet is there any binding since these speakers are a few millimeters wider on either side? Do you have to force them back in place, or do they slide in easily?

If you want the driver to slide in, there's a lip on the edge of the enclosure that you have to take off (check the first pic in my post). However, the plastic is quite thin and does have give, so I guess you could force the driver in. However, I only eyeballed it and was like, nope, not going to fit, and then hit it with the dremel.

How is the sound on those Aurasound compared to the stock ones? Also what is the model of the Aurasounds? Ill throw those in my other cab :D thanks for the STL that will come in handy

aurasound_mod_7.jpg

aurasound_mod_8.jpg

aurasound_mod_9.jpg

aurasound_mod_10.jpg

Stupid question, but do you use a 3d printer for these?

OK Who can speak japanese. I found a company but they wont respond to my google translated emails. Anybody want to take a stab? Link below

speaker candidate

OK Who can speak japanese. I found a company but they wont respond to my google translated emails. Anybody want to take a stab? Link below

speaker candidate
those could work... they're 8 ohm not 4 ohm but it should be useable with a wiring change.

Toptone F17E4U01-1:
F17E4U01-1_3.gif

Kitanihon F02810H0:
F02810H0_a.png

Here are my originals reconed instead.

BEFORE
IMG_2288.jpeg IMG_2299.jpeg

AFTER
IMG_2818.jpeg IMG_2835.jpeg
Beautiful! where did you get the repair materials? I would order a bunch right now! I am very interested in trying this. How do you feel the sound is compared to the originals?

Beautiful! where did you get the repair materials? I would order a bunch right now! I am very interested in trying this. How do you feel the sound is compared to the originals?

Oh, I didn't do it myself. It was done by someone who does speaker repair. I'm sure any speaker shop that does recone can do the work.

They sound good. But I have no point of reference since the originals were shot.

This looks very nice.
I have to see if I also find somebody in my area who does this repairs

I guess the real question is, did they cost a lot to do?

The answer to that is YES. I'm thinking replacing with speakers that have been discussed in this thread is a better option (even though they're not a perfect fit). I just wanted to keep the originals but in the end it ended up costing a lot more. Your mileage may vary in price depending on the person you get to work on yours and how damaged your speakers are. My speakers were in really rough shape.

Last edited:
The answer to that is YES. I'm thinking replacing with speakers that have been discussed in this thread is a better option (even though they're not a perfect fit). I just wanted to keep the originals but in the end it ended up costing a lot more. Your mileage may vary in price depending on the person you get to work on yours and how damaged your speakers are. My speakers were in really rough shape.
I think the cost will be about the same regardless of condition, because the entire cone looks replaced. Including foam. So it's not like they are doing a repair, it's a replacement. I, too, want to keep the original drivers as much as possible. Also the original sound quality, if possible. I personally would rather spend more on a one time replacement cost to keep it stock... than save a couple bucks and have it be modded.

If we were to do a group buy, it might lower the repair costs. I could see a guy committing to a lower price if he has to do 10 or 20 units of work. If this is a highly skilled repair we should just go with the guy aimbuster used? If not, we can shop around for the cheapest price?

Yeah I didn't think it'd be a cheap fix.

I still can't believe in this day in age, there's no matching speaker size

Yeah I didn't think it'd be a cheap fix.

I still can't believe in this day in age, there's no matching speaker size
Have the speakers you ordered for your replacement coming next week. Should be fun to replace.....

Back