What's new
I don't know enough of the specifics to know where or how to get the sounds or if it can even be done, just putting my pipe dream out there. I guess if they are reusing the SF sounds, they could "port" the rest of the CPS1 SF games over /shrug .
What if I want Magic Sword w/ Street Fighter sounds? :P -ud
Not impossible, but... a long term project of mine is a software solution for these FM-only CPS1 games.

Good reasons to get CPS1 games on CPS2 is 1) one less board to own 2) the CPS2 has shown itself to be hugely more reliable than CPS1 3) It is more interesting then waiting ??? months for people to make a CPS1 multi that everyone can get excited to spend hundreds of dollars on

Last edited:
Here is the link :

http://www.mediafire.com/file/vrh9zqygargcpih/sf2ce_cp2.rar

If you like it, any donation appreciated using my paypal neocps1@gmail.com

thank you and have fun !
I had this running in attract mode after playing 1 few rounds, but then there is a problem, the game logic has some errors (sprites moving strange) and then it had a random reset :( I rebooted the cps2 and now it's OK again. There may be some small uncatched condition?
I think @neocps1 will not have more time to look into this conversion, maybe we can get @kuze or @trap15 fixing this one to the end. But remind the huge work made on this conversion came from@'neocps1'

Here is the link :

thank you and have fun !
I had this running in attract mode after playing 1 few rounds, but then there is a problem, the game logic has some errors (sprites moving strange) and then it had a random reset :( I rebooted the cps2 and now it's OK again. There may be some small uncatched condition?
I think @neocps1 will not have more time to look into this conversion, maybe we can get @kuze or @trap15 fixing this one to the end. But remind the huge work made on this conversion came from@'neocps1'
If that hack needs more work, then the patch source should be distributed. Having other people do binary hacks on top of a binary hack isn't really reasonable.

Just to be completely clear, my hack has no code in common with neocps1's conversion work.

Here is the link :

thank you and have fun !
If that hack needs more work, then the patch source should be distributed. Having other people do binary hacks on top of a binary hack isn't really reasonable.
Just to be completely clear, my hack has no code in common with neocps1's conversion work.
Ahhhh sorry. Didnt know that. Well, in that case how is your hack working? Has also those glitches or did you get further?

I haven't played neocps1's conversion, but the only known glitches for my hack are listed on the thread for it. Only a few graphical bugs are acknowledged, related to the "PLAYER SELECT" text on the character choice screen, and the endings, which have some layering issues. Aside from that, sprites should be fine in-game, without the common single frame of lag or palette issues that are easy to encounter with this kind of conversion.

This code is the bulk of "the magic":
Code:
<code snipped because I don't need somebody adapting this and asking for $$$ euro for compensation actually>

Last edited:
Good reasons to get CPS1 games on CPS2 is 1) one less board to own 2) the CPS2 has shown itself to be hugely more reliable than CPS1 3) It is more interesting then waiting ??? months for people to make a CPS1 multi that everyone can get excited to spend hundreds of dollars on
I totally agree, but if you can't get the original sound/music ported I still have zero interest.

I'm sure that HF port on CPS2 is pretty cool, it must have taken a ton of time/work.
personally I'll never know... Because I refuse to load/boot it... Because the sound isn't original/correct.

Could the sound ever be both original and correct?
Yes, but as mentioned previously it's full-on retarded how much work is involved with something so seemly simply.

I totally agree, but if you can't get the original sound/music ported I still have zero interest.
I'm sure that HF port on CPS2 is pretty cool, it must have taken a ton of time/work.
personally I'll never know... Because I refuse to load/boot it... Because the sound isn't original/correct.

Could the sound ever be both original and correct?
Yes, but as mentioned previously it's full-on retarded how much work is involved with something so seemly simply.
If you wait for the next release, the reason I was taking so long was to work on the music to try to bring in decent approximations of the CPS1 instruments. The sound effects are already the correct CPS1 versions.

I don't like the tone of "I refuse to load/boot it". Nobody's forcing you to do anything or get rid of your precious CPS1 turds boards, and nobody is saying "this is the universal replacement, so we can destroy the originals finally".

I don't like the tone of "I refuse to load/boot it". Nobody's forcing you to do anything
I'm forcing myself not to play it, and I would kind of like too I think, hence the somewhat negative sounding tone.
the reason I was taking so long was to work on the music to try to bring in decent approximations of the CPS1 instruments.
Yes this is what I'd be interested in, very interested!
For more CPS1 games as well like Knights, GnG and Strider (some of my personal faves).

3) It is more interesting then waiting ??? months for people to make a CPS1 multi that everyone can get excited to spend hundreds of dollars on
There will always be people wanting to play on the OG hardware.
You do know there are people still thinking desuicided versions of S16/S18/S24/CPS1/CPS2/you_name_it play differently than the OG versions right?
If done properly the code seen by the CPU core is strictly identical.

For CPS1 games (non Q-Sound) on CPS2, one can always argue hardware is different and sounds, even if well converted, will never be 100% identical.
I personally don't care as I'm a player, I mean by just playing the same game on two different cabinets you experience differences, so I'm OK to accept slight adaptations.

@mikejmoffitt @jassin000 everyone has their opinion. It's clear that @jassin000 wont play it but many others including myself will.

Let's not divert from the big things happening here because you'll never get 100% people on your side, in this forum the maximum you get is 99% :thumbsup:

@mikejmoffitt Can I ask you to please edit back your source code? Let's go back on track.

All I get is a blank, white screen when I try running the SF port. Punisher on the other hand works fine.
@Morden - did you get this working? Same for me, the LCD loading screen passes really quickly and then I'm just left with a blank monitor screen. Punisher works fine. Mike's SF works nicely too, and I gave it a full play through last night

Big thanks to neocps1 and mikejmoffit for their releases :thumbsup:

I'm going to send both of you guys a tenner when I get home. I haven't even fired up the Punisher yet, but I look forward to these other games. You both rock!
For me, actual hardware is best but a port is a serviceable substitute. Emulation is a last resort.
And for the record, I think I'd love to play magic sword with street fighter sounds :P

@Morden - did you get this working? Same for me, the LCD loading screen passes really quickly and then I'm just left with a blank monitor screen. Punisher works fine. Mike's SF works nicely too, and I gave it a full play through last night
Someone needs to convert it to multi format.

I was just about to answer, but Mitsu beat me to it. Nope, doesn't work. The mikejmoffitt version works, though.

Like I said @neocps1 's version is in the original CPS2 format that just needs to be converted to multi format. Probably will work fine after that.

Back