What's new

iq_132

Professional
Reaction score
Here's a demo of a project I've been working on a for a little while [2-3 weeks].

A port of Seibu's 1988 game Cabal.

Here's a video of it on real hardware (Please excuse the low quality capture, my supergun (GBS Control)/hdmi (cheap USB dongle) capture method are not great) [it doesn't have borders and the colors are correct].

Things of note:
I haven't played it through to the end
There is currently no sound.
The file is 7zipped inside of a zip to work around forum limitations [zip doesn't compress enough, 7z isn't supported as a file type]

This runs at offset 0 on a fluffy cart, so jp1 should be open. The other jumpers shouldn't matter.

And as always, if you like my work:
https://www.patreon.com/iq_132

Attachments

• cabalpgm_b1.zip
    519.3 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Here's a demo of a project I've been working on a for a little while [2-3 weeks].

A port of Seibu's 1988 game Cabal.

Here's a video of it on real hardware (Please excuse the low quality capture, my supergun (GBS Control)/hdmi (cheap USB dongle) capture method are not great) [it doesn't have borders and the colors are correct].

Things of note:
I haven't played it through to the end
There is currently no sound.
The file is 7zipped inside of a zip to work around forum limitations [zip doesn't compress enough, 7z isn't supported as a file type]

This runs at offset 0 on a fluffy cart, so jp1 should be open. The other jumpers shouldn't matter.

And as always, if you like my work:
https://www.patreon.com/iq_132
Just wow ... this beats them all !

Very impressive, the PGM hasn’t gotten much in the way of homebrew before - great work!

Very nice, I'll need to try and get my sprite pipeline to work in my code as well.

This game looks like Double Hawk for the Sega Master System
Some of the stages backgrounds even the tanks coming in look similar

Wow!

Are there any dev tools for IGS PGM or did you disassemble code from the arcade ROM, tweak it manually and re-assemble it?

Disassembled, tweaked, patched in my code changes. Completely rebuilt the background graphics, modified the sprite data a lot to be compatible. I'm planning on compiling my tools eventually and making a wiki like the Neogeo development one.

Disassembled, tweaked, patched in my code changes. Completely rebuilt the background graphics, modified the sprite data a lot to be compatible. I'm planning on compiling my tools eventually and making a wiki like the Neogeo development one.

That is indeed very impressive.

I've joined your Patreon to support this work.

Has anyone tried reaching out to IGS to ask for info or original docs on PGM development?

I asked someone I thought may have a contact at IGS, but they didn't. It would be great if IGS released some SDK information, especially as they built the Switch IGS Arcade collection on top of Final Burn Alpha - but I have no idea how to get through to someone who has that information and who would be authorised to release it...

It would be interesting if someone could look if there is some Chinese language information that isn't translated. I tried searching with a translation tool, but only found a few posts/blogs related to emulators.

Edit: This seems to be the website: https://www.igs.com.tw/en/business/ArcadeGame/ . There is a contact form, but I doubt it'll reach anyone beyond general support... Given the time since the release of PGM it wouldn't surprise me if important people have left or retired. The biggest chance is if a developer uploads some tech info anonymously to archive.org.

Last edited:
@Fluffy . I think a different company made the Switch games / conversions. I was sure that was the case when people were looking to them using Final Burn Neo Illegally. I have no idea what the FB Neo team did?? Since it was clear it wasn't legal to use it....

@Fluffy . I think a different company made the Switch games / conversions. I was sure that was the case when people were looking to them using Final Burn Neo Illegally. I have no idea what the FB Neo team did?? Since it was clear it wasn't legal to use it....
Yes, though I'd expect that they have a license agreement with IGS, which would include a technical contact if they need to fix issues in the original games. No idea if the FB team did anything, I expect products use it quite frequently without reaching an agreement with the team.
I'd be interested to know if interest into IGS PGM from here and other enthusiast forums triggered their decision to create the Switch version. If so: Hello guys! We'd love to hear from you!

I thought it was interesting as they used many of the Rom Dumps i had done. I guess that was easier then getting roms from IGS / easier to run in FB Neo. I have reached out to IGS several times... But never got any reply's.

Back