How many would you preorder/buy?

Votes: 31 24.0%

Votes: 81 62.8%

Votes: 5 3.9%

Votes: 11 8.5%
  • 5+

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters
Hopefully, the interest translates into real orders.
There's obviously an untapped market outside of AP and people who will suddenly get interested when you can actually order something real who weren't really paying attention before. But in my experience with interest lists like this I'd expect a minimum of 25% of the people clicking the poll to be flakes.

It never ceases to amaze me how people are thoughtless about this stuff. We're just talking about clicking a poll here, obviously it's low effort and commitment, and plenty of people are going "neat" with no intention of opening their wallet. And whatever, you can account for that.

But I'll do pinball stuff where people sign up to buy, commit with their name to me personally, and then 2 weeks later when the money is due go "oh, I just sold that machine, I don't want it anymore". Mfffffr, why did you tell me you wanted it if you were going to sell the game??? :bored:

It never ceases to amaze me how people are thoughtless about this stuff.
In generally people are super shitty and thoughtless about this stuff.

I don't take pre-orders on anything I make because I know if I have some personal shit come up and things get delayed people turn into demanding A-Holes.
I don't even pre-announce what I'm working on anymore because people feel entitled to having it available for sale and if the project goes south or gets delayed I never hear the end of it.

that works ok for 3D printing but it sucks in situations like this one where it's quite helpful to have a gauge on interest to work out production. without knowing demand you can get screwed over by over-ordering parts, or screwed over by under-ordering parts too.

ask people for verbal commitments and you get flakes and end up over producing,
take pre-orders to guarantee production numbers and people get impatient and pissy that they paid and haven't received yet even if things are on schedule (god-forbid if they're not)
don't tell people about and you're taking the whole thing as a gamble as to how much market demand there is.

I wont name names (and there are a few threads on the forum here that exemplify this if you search) but I will say that I've seen even the most pleasant/helpful/respected community members turn in Grade-A Karens when things get delayed.

Last edited:
I don't take pre-orders on anything I make because I know if I have some personal shit come up and things get delayed people turn into demanding A-Holes.
Yeah, my strategy developed years ago into taking interest lists, and using that to place orders that I front the cash for, and then I don't take any money until the product is actually ready.

It does mean the flakes leave me holding product, but it's much better than sitting on people's money. As long as it's just an 'interest list' and they haven't paid me a dime then they have no real stake to demand anything. You're so right, once people buy something suddenly their attitude can really change on you.

Here's the thing I would say to anyone doing hobby production, mods or repros or whatever else: it's cool to give back to the hobby. It's great to be a chill person just doing it for the love. But ... my advice is make sure you're marking up your product and not being shy about making a profit. You deserve it for your time, and it will keep you from burning out and ultimately able to keep doing cool stuff in the future.

Because this stuff is work. Dealing with customers and shipping and all the BS *after* you've done all the actual work to create the product alone kinda sucks sometimes. And the work you did to make the product is super real too. And it really can burn you out, even if it's also fun.

The money is nice, you can use it to buy more things for the hobby. You can use it to develop your next idea. And, it means that half way through your sales you break even, and the flakes leaving you sitting on something that might take a while to sell don't stress you out, because you're at least not losing money on them and in the hole.

I just checked out some common cabs and control panel clearances. Measurements were taken with a ruler which I pushed through a button hole.

Aero, 90mm
Astro, 75mm
Blast, 80mm
Net City, 100mm
Vewlix, 77mm

Astros have a sloping bottom, so the clearance is even less than that closer to the control panel edge.

Yeah, my strategy developed years ago into taking interest lists, and using that to place orders that I front the cash for, and then I don't take any money until the product is actually ready.

It does mean the flakes leave me holding product, but it's much better than sitting on people's money. As long as it's just an 'interest list' and they haven't paid me a dime then they have no real stake to demand anything. You're so right, once people buy something suddenly their attitude can really change on you.

Here's the thing I would say to anyone doing hobby production, mods or repros or whatever else: it's cool to give back to the hobby. It's great to be a chill person just doing it for the love. But ... my advice is make sure you're marking up your product and not being shy about making a profit. You deserve it for your time, and it will keep you from burning out and ultimately able to keep doing cool stuff in the future.

Because this stuff is work. Dealing with customers and shipping and all the BS *after* you've done all the actual work to create the product alone kinda sucks sometimes. And the work you did to make the product is super real too. And it really can burn you out, even if it's also fun.

The money is nice, you can use it to buy more things for the hobby. You can use it to develop your next idea. And, it means that half way through your sales you break even, and the flakes leaving you sitting on something that might take a while to sell don't stress you out, because you're at least not losing money on them and in the hole.
I'm glad you've had some spares personally, or I'd have missed out, out of ignorance. :D

You can have my money at the time of order anytime, sir. Your stuff is always amazing.

I'm glad you've had some spares personally, or I'd have missed out, out of ignorance.
Glad I could hook you up. The truth is I never have trouble moving the ones people flake out on, so I don't get too annoyed by it. But it is a little frustrating still just on a certain mental level when you get a commitment from someone, pay out of your pocket to make it happen, and then they shrug and change their mind.

You can have my money at the time of order anytime, sir. Your stuff is always amazing.
I appreciate that! It's been a long time since I've worked on a non-personal project. Well, they're all personal really, I only make things I want to and care about, but in the sense of actually putting something into production for sale instead of just for myself.

Yes it is :) . Hopefully, the interest translates into real orders.

Unless the life poops completely otherwise, I'll go for the polled 2. Maybe even another two later... I have some plans attaching these to another game.

Hi :

Confirming 2 spinners. Would like an email if possible. I am offline a bit.
Also thank you all for making this a possibility. I may one day be able to play forgotten worlds on semi original hardware. You all so cherrish.

Regards
Euphoria
:)

Hey All, slight update:

Talked it over with @hursit and it just makes sense for the spinner(s) to include the wire harness so he has decided to make and include it with the spinners as part of the kit when it ships out. So it will all come ready to plug/play out of the box to your cps1 motherboards, etc... . It should make things easier for those buying the spinners and should lower cost and get everyone playing, faster. We are thinking a 4-5ft harness length should do it. We welcome any comments/suggestions on this.

@Lemony Vengeance thanks for offering to make these for us, but the logistics/costs just don't work out at this point.

Hey All, slight update:

Talked it over with @hursit and it just makes sense for the spinner(s) to include the wire harness so he has decided to make and include it with the spinners as part of the kit when it ships out. So it will all come ready to plug/play out of the box to your cps1 motherboards, etc... . It should make things easier for those buying the spinners and should lower cost and get everyone playing, faster. We are thinking a 4-5ft harness length should do it. We welcome any comments/suggestions on this.

@Lemony Vengeance thanks for offering to make these for us, but the logistics/costs just don't work out at this point.
I’m actually on vacation but when I come back home I can mesure the length of the OG wiring harness

Back