What's new
Is the blue wire that's connected from the b2 button to the Jamma connector supposed to *beep* without pressing the button?
Yes, and since you've wiggled the wire, we've learned there's nothing wrong with your wiring.

When set to continuity, my multimeter shows a number of "1." When touching the two spade connectors with each probe, and pressing the button, it begins to *beep* and the number drops to 0. I tested this on two other buttons and the same exact thing happens.
1 on your meter is the same as OL on mine, perfectly normal. And this shows there's nothing wrong with your button.

Your problem very likely lies within the Mistercade. Whether that's some weird thing wrong with it, or it not receiving the right amount of power.

Let's next turn on the cabinet, set your DMM to DCV and put the red lead on the 5V jamma pin, and the black one on GND next to the 5v pins. Note the voltage, then repeat with red on 12v and black still on the same GND. Let's find out how that goes next.

Yes, and since you've wiggled the wire, we've learned there's nothing wrong with your wiring.

1 on your meter is the same as OL on mine, perfectly normal. And this shows there's nothing wrong with your button.

Your problem very likely lies within the Mistercade. Whether that's some weird thing wrong with it, or it not receiving the right amount of power.

Let's next turn on the cabinet, set your DMM to DCV and put the red lead on the 5V jamma pin, and the black one on GND next to the 5v pins. Note the voltage, then repeat with red on 12v and black still on the same GND. Let's find out how that goes next.
Thank you very much for your help, I need to remove the heat shrink around these pins in order to test correct? I will do this now and report back.

Thank you very much for your help, I need to remove the heat shrink around these pins in order to test correct? I will do this now and report back.
No, approach them from the other side. Use the pins on the PCB rather than the harness.

PXL_20231024_044000308~2.jpg

Didn't realize how dark it was when I took it, but it should get the point across, lol.

May be a stupid question, but I am testing this with the Mistercade still plugged in correct? Also, going to have to test tomorrow unfortunately, I need another hand and that person is now asleep haha.

Hey @rewrite, when looking online at the standard Jamma layout, the wires on this don't seem to match, does something look off to you?

- Trying to determine the 5V and 12V pins as well as grounds.

Attachments

• IMG_6514.jpg
    IMG_6514.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 43
Here is Hursit's, maybe I'm just not able to identify them properly lol, I'm sorry.

Attachments

• Hursit Example.jpg
    Hursit Example.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 40
Pin 1-2 gnd , pin 3-4 are +5V , pin 5 is -5V , pin 6

Pin 1-2 gnd , pin 3-4 are +5V , pin 5 is -5V , pin 6 is 12V .

@Sky64 Pin 1 or 2 black wire , pin 3 or 4 red wire (adjust psu to show 5.00) for +5V , and for 12V same only put red wire on pin 6

View: https://youtube.com/shorts/0w5bJWupMxQ?si=i1h7jBu-3GTfQDMx
Thank you, this makes sense now. I was looking at it on my harness and it showed 1-6 on the left, but I know for a fact that pin 6 on my harness involves the P1 and P2 button 2. Should I first test this without the Mistercade connected and then plug the Mistercade in and test it again? I know @rewrite said to do this with it in but I've seen some people test just the harness as well.

Thank you, this makes sense now. I was looking at it on my harness and it showed 1-6 on the left, but I know for a fact that pin 6 on my harness involves the P1 and P2 button 2. Should I first test this without the Mistercade connected and then plug the Mistercade in and test it again? I know @rewrite said to do this with it in but I've seen some people test just the harness as well.
If psu is callibrated correctly can be with or without mistercade inserted .
As a matter of fact , the best is to be with game (mistercade or any test pcb inserted - some pcbs eat more power than others , but firstly , you should set the psu without any game in it , like i show in the video , but only you need to set the psu to show 5.00 , then plug mistercade or any pcb you have and see what show multimeter set on showing voltage not continuity)

If psu is callibrated correctly can be with or without mistercade inserted .
As a matter of fact , the best is to be with game (mistercade or any test pcb inserted - some pcbs eat more power than others , but firstly , you should set the psu without any game in it , like i show in the video , but only you need to set the psu to show 5.00 , then plug mistercade or any pcb you have and see what show multimeter set on showing voltage not continuity)
Perfect, will make sure my PSU has the correct voltage and report back here tomorrow after testing the Jamma. As far as I know, it should be set to 5V.

Thank you again for the video, greatly appreciate everyone's help!

Flip your harness around so that you are looking at the black and red wires to your left...

said to do this with it in but I've seen some people test just the harness as well
You'd test the harness by itself if you didn't know the condition of the power supply. Like you found an old power supply on the shelf, and want to make sure it's not outputting 7v on the 5v line or something, so that you don't ruin your PCB. Since you've had the Mistercade up and running, there wasn't any reason to do that, we're just trying to see if maybe it's underpowered at the moment.

You'll get a higher reading with the game removed than with it installed (because there's no load on the PSU). Different games pull more/less power, and you'll often need to change the voltage to match. As long as you don't tread over 5.10 you'll be pretty safe. Over that you can damage components. I'd plug it in, test, adjust to 5.03-5.05, somewhere in there, and go from there.

12v is rarely an adjustable rail. +/- 10% is pretty acceptable.

Flip your harness around so that you are looking at the black and red wires to your left...
Just don't plug it in this way, lol.

But yes, counting from the wrong side.

Hey @rewrite, when looking online at the standard Jamma layout, the wires on this don't seem to match, does something look off to you?

You sure you haven't plugged the harness in the wrong way at some point? It's an easy mistake to make, and if you have, you'll have put +12V through the player 1 and 2 button 2 inputs.

You sure you haven't plugged the harness in the wrong way at some point? It's an easy mistake to make, and if you have, you'll have put +12V through the player 1 and 2 button 2 inputs.
Hey Nem, yeah I never plugged it in backwards, but this is a great thing to note. If you plug in a PCB the wrong way, would it impact the PCB or the Jamma?

Back