What's new

tika

Student
Reaction score
Hi all, I have a CPS3 board (model 95682A-2 - see attached pic) that I'm looking to replace the optical drive with the ZuluSCSI RP2040 Compact (https://store.rabbitholecomputing.com/ZuluSCSI-Compact-RP2040-p/zuluscsi-compact-rp2040.htm). I have regular SIMMs that currently have SF3 2nd Impact installed on them, and am hoping to install other games once I get an additional 128Mbit SIMM, but am hitting issues that I think might either be an ZuluSCSI issue or an CPS3 repro cart issue.

I have a Darksoft repro CPS3 cart with UltraBIOS + NoCD, and a Standard SH2 - see the attached pics.

When booting the board with the original SF3 2nd Impact cart and CD inserted in the physical drive, everything works as expected and can play the game/re-flash the game to the SIMMs with no errors.

Once I swap the original cart out with the repro cart, hook up the ZuluSCSI and hold P1 shot 1 to get into the cart menu to flash the SIMMs, once I've selected the region, the interface locks up. I know this typically means the wrong UniCD image is in use, but I've verified that I'm using the right image (standard SH2 ISO). I've used a bunch of different ISOs and they all lock up after selecting the region - see below for the images that I've copied to the ZuleSCSI and tried with no success:

UniCD-CPS3_for_standard_SH2_V4.iso
UniCD-CPS3_for_standard_SH2_V4_Unmodified.iso
UniCD-CPS3_for_standard_SH2_V4th Strike.iso
Mitsurugi_w_NoCD Utility.iso
UniCD-CPS3_for_custom_SH2_V5.iso

I've also tried different SD cards and different filesystems (FAT32 and exFAT) on the cards, updated to the latest ZuluSCSI firmware and renamed the ISO images to CD1.iso to ensure no file character limits are being hit. I've attached the ZuluSCSI log file for reference and it looks like the ZuluSCSI is working as expected as I can browse the ISO contents via the cart menu option 2.

Next step is to burn a physical CD of the UniCD to make sure the ZuluSCSI isn't getting in the way for some reason.

Really at the end of trying things and what it could possibly be, so any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• zululog.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 13
  • CPS3 Setup.jpg
    CPS3 Setup.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 28
  • Cart - Back.jpg
    Cart - Back.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 26
  • Cart - Front.jpg
    Cart - Front.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 26
Burnt physical CD's of both the "UniCD-CPS3_for_standard_SH2_V4.iso" and "Mitsurugi_w_NoCD Utility.iso" to different media, and the board stopped after selecting the region :\

I have no idea how the CPS3 responds to additional devices in a SCSI chain, right now with CD1 and CD3 dot iso, the log shows it acting as 2 drives. I would remove CD3.iso and turn on the debug dip on the PCB, and retry.

Re-reading your last post though getting a working CD copy might be ideal 1st before transitioning to a SCSI device emulator.

Just a simple question. Was the CPS3 Main PCB working before?

Hi all, I have a CPS3 board (model 95682A-2 - see attached pic) that I'm looking to replace the optical drive with the ZuluSCSI RP2040 Compact (https://store.rabbitholecomputing.com/ZuluSCSI-Compact-RP2040-p/zuluscsi-compact-rp2040.htm). I have regular SIMMs that currently have SF3 2nd Impact installed on them, and am hoping to install other games once I get an additional 128Mbit SIMM, but am hitting issues that I think might either be an ZuluSCSI issue or an CPS3 repro cart issue.

I have a Darksoft repro CPS3 cart with UltraBIOS + NoCD, and a Standard SH2 - see the attached pics.

When booting the board with the original SF3 2nd Impact cart and CD inserted in the physical drive, everything works as expected and can play the game/re-flash the game to the SIMMs with no errors.

Once I swap the original cart out with the repro cart, hook up the ZuluSCSI and hold P1 shot 1 to get into the cart menu to flash the SIMMs, once I've selected the region, the interface locks up. I know this typically means the wrong UniCD image is in use, but I've verified that I'm using the right image (standard SH2 ISO). I've used a bunch of different ISOs and they all lock up after selecting the region - see below for the images that I've copied to the ZuleSCSI and tried with no success:

UniCD-CPS3_for_standard_SH2_V4.iso
UniCD-CPS3_for_standard_SH2_V4_Unmodified.iso
UniCD-CPS3_for_standard_SH2_V4th Strike.iso
Mitsurugi_w_NoCD Utility.iso
UniCD-CPS3_for_custom_SH2_V5.iso

I've also tried different SD cards and different filesystems (FAT32 and exFAT) on the cards, updated to the latest ZuluSCSI firmware and renamed the ISO images to CD1.iso to ensure no file character limits are being hit. I've attached the ZuluSCSI log file for reference and it looks like the ZuluSCSI is working as expected as I can browse the ISO contents via the cart menu option 2.

Next step is to burn a physical CD of the UniCD to make sure the ZuluSCSI isn't getting in the way for some reason.

Really at the end of trying things and what it could possibly be, so any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated!
https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/cps-iii-bios-and-cd-releases.36/page-34#post-388306

Try using the method I used back then. I went through hell with the CPS3 last year, lol.

I have no idea how the CPS3 responds to additional devices in a SCSI chain, right now with CD1 and CD3 dot iso, the log shows it acting as 2 drives. I would remove CD3.iso and turn on the debug dip on the PCB, and retry.

Re-reading your last post though getting a working CD copy might be ideal 1st before transitioning to a SCSI device emulator.

I've removed all the .iso files but 1 from the SD card and turned debug logging on (see attached ZuluSCSI debug log file), but the same lockup issue. Looking throguh the debug log file, things looks to be OK (ie: no errors, faults, etc)

Attachments

• zululog-debug.txt
    30.1 KB · Views: 8
Just a simple question. Was the CPS3 Main PCB working before?

The main board is currently working fine - I have an original SF3 2nd Impact setup (optical drive, CD, cart) which I can use to play the game and to reflash the SIMMs. I've reflashed the game a few times just incase the SIMMs are faulty/on the way out, but the reflashing has worked every time thus far

I've also re-run a SIMM check & memory check from the service menu when using the original SF3 2nd Impact cart, and everything looks to be OK (no errors)

When using the repro cart, I can't get to the service menu at all (pressing the service menu button on my supergun doesn't do anything), although using the original cart the service menu button works as expected

https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/cps-iii-bios-and-cd-releases.36/page-34#post-388306

Try using the method I used back then. I went through hell with the CPS3 last year, lol.
Thanks for the link and info - I've tried using exFAT on a different SD card and tried to flash some games using the repro cart, and am hitting the same lockup issue regardless on what game I try to flash.

Using both SD cards (one formatted with FAT32 and the other with exFAT) with the original 2nd Impact ISO (I made an ISO of the original CD) on it coupled with the original 2nd Impact cart, I'm able to flash the SIMMs with 2nd Impact with no issues, so it doesn't feel like a filesystem issue as both SD cards work for flashing

Thanks for the link and info - I've tried using exFAT on a different SD card and tried to flash some games using the repro cart, and am hitting the same lockup issue regardless on what game I try to flash.

Using both SD cards (one formatted with FAT32 and the other with exFAT) with the original 2nd Impact ISO (I made an ISO of the original CD) on it coupled with the original 2nd Impact cart, I'm able to flash the SIMMs with 2nd Impact with no issues, so it doesn't feel like a filesystem issue as both SD cards work for flashing
I've included my zulu file.

Also, on the 4th strike image, I renamed the ISO to CD1CAP-33S-1.iso.

I am also using a SanDisk Ultra 32GB SD Card.

1 and 2 dipswitches are down and 3 is up on my board.

Don't know if you can downgrade firmware but if you can, try installing the one that I have on mine.

Worth a shot to try. Let me know if there are any changes.

I kinda feel if this issue persists, try getting another Zulu. The last thing that would have issues is the cart itself.

Attachments

• zululog.txt
    1.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I might be missing something here, but OP has:-
  • Ultrabios NoCD cart (unless I am misinterpreting this "Darksoft repro CPS3 cart with UltraBIOS + NoCD")
  • is missing a 128mb simm
Surely this needs to be a CD bios to install the game and you need that additional simm.

Last edited:
I keep forgetting to reply this, but that was also my initial impression, tiff... unsure how OP is rewriting SIMMs using a NO CD BIOS - you can't! I don't think they were trying to write Jojo Heritage or 3S, because they don't have enough memory, so the disc wouldn't allow them to do the write... come to think of it, the DS BIOS doesn't let you rewrite at all unless the memory is maxed out.

I guess what might be happening is OP is using the 2I cart to rewrite 2I or possibly some other game from the Darksoft CD, and this somehow works because the hacked BIOS is also based on 2I... which is kind of hilarious if true. To be clear, not funny because OP ended up wasting a bunch of time through no fault of their own, just funny that it works at all (it shouldn't, but I get why it might). Maybe DS can confirm that's what is going on here?

@tika , can you confirm which cartridge you're using for the rewrite procedure? Can you also confirm which game you're attempting to rewrite to the SIMMs?

I've included my zulu file.

Also, on the 4th strike image, I renamed the ISO to CD1CAP-33S-1.iso.

I am also using a SanDisk Ultra 32GB SD Card.

1 and 2 dipswitches are down and 3 is up on my board.

Don't know if you can downgrade firmware but if you can, try installing the one that I have on mine.

Worth a shot to try. Let me know if there are any changes.

I kinda feel if this issue persists, try getting another Zulu. The last thing that would have issues is the cart itself.

Turns out the RP2040 Mini that I have doens't have any DIP switches at all, so can't set anything physically although the device config is set via the zuluscsi.ini file. I've tried a bunch of config options and also not using a config at all (so it uses the defaults), and both get me to the same point as before (lockup)

I might be missing something here, but OP has:-
  • Ultrabios NoCD cart (unless I am misinterpreting this "Darksoft repro CPS3 cart with UltraBIOS + NoCD")
  • is missing a 128mb simm
Surely this needs to be a CD bios to install the game and you need that additional simm.

Is having fully populated SIMMs a hard requirement even if the game that I'm trying to flash doesn't require the additional 128Mbit SIMM (ie: JoJo's Bizzare Adventure) in Slot 7?

My understanding of the NoCD version is that games can still be flashed via CD/ZuluSCSI device, and once the SIMMs have been flashed, the optical drive/drive emulator no longer need to be attached and the game can run without a CD - happy to be corrected if this isn't the case

I keep forgetting to reply this, but that was also my initial impression, tiff... unsure how OP is rewriting SIMMs using a NO CD BIOS - you can't! I don't think they were trying to write Jojo Heritage or 3S, because they don't have enough memory, so the disc wouldn't allow them to do the write... come to think of it, the DS BIOS doesn't let you rewrite at all unless the memory is maxed out.

I guess what might be happening is OP is using the 2I cart to rewrite 2I or possibly some other game from the Darksoft CD, and this somehow works because the hacked BIOS is also based on 2I... which is kind of hilarious if true. To be clear, not funny because OP ended up wasting a bunch of time through no fault of their own, just funny that it works at all (it shouldn't, but I get why it might). Maybe DS can confirm that's what is going on here?

@tika , can you confirm which cartridge you're using for the rewrite procedure? Can you also confirm which game you're attempting to rewrite to the SIMMs?

Thanks for the info above - perhaps the issue is that I don't have the last 128Mbit SIMM installed on the board?

I have a NoCD cart, but as I mentioned in my response to tiff's post - my understanding is that I can still flash a game to the SIMMs regardless if the BIOS is the CD or NoCD version - if this isn't the case then this would surely be part of the issue (and perhaps the lack of the last 128Mbit SIMM also)

When I reflash 2I, I use the original 2nd Impact cart supplied with the console and can flash the SIMMs using either a physical CD or ZuluSCSI ISO (both with 2I game on them).

You should not be able to flash at all with a NO CD BIOS. You also shouldn't be able to do anything at all with Darksoft BIOS + a missing 7th SIMM; you should be getting a "not enough memory" error at startup. Darksoft BIOS requires maxed out memory IIRC.

When I reflash 2I, I use the original 2nd Impact cart supplied with the console and can flash the SIMMs using either a physical CD or ZuluSCSI ISO (both with 2I game on them).

Ah, looks like my speculation was correct; please re-read my previous post. You cannot flash Darksofted games with an original encrypted BIOS cartridge; you need a cartridge with a Darksoft CD BIOS to flash Darksofted games (either "custom" or "standard" version).

The reason this seemed like it was working for you is because the Darksofted games are based on the 2I BIOS; 2I was exploited due to an apparent error by Capcom when they encrypted that game, which is why you're able to boot the DS disc and attempt a rewrite.

I was wondering if the problem was being caused by the use of this:

Mitsurugi_w_NoCD Utility.iso , assuming it is this https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/mitsurugi-ws-cpsiii-nocd-utility-disk.16/

but from reading the thread that is to write an encrypted No CD image to simms using a superbios CD cart which would be swapped for a genuine No CD cart which isn't applicable here.

Tika the reason for this is because the Zulu SCSI is working, its emulating a scsi drive and since you have a 2I cart it lets you install 2I. Just reiterating what Kazuo said you shouldn't be able to get past the boot menu without that 7th simm, you would normally get a not enough memory error.

You actually need a CD cart to install with first unfortunately, if you check out the main thread there is recent discussion on updating carts to have a dual bios (CD/No CD), so you could install in CD mode then flip the switch and boom no cd.

You should not be able to flash at all with a NO CD BIOS. You also shouldn't be able to do anything at all with Darksoft BIOS + a missing 7th SIMM; you should be getting a "not enough memory" error at startup. Darksoft BIOS requires maxed out memory IIRC.

Ah, looks like my speculation was correct; please re-read my previous post. You cannot flash Darksofted games with an original encrypted BIOS cartridge; you need a cartridge with a Darksoft CD BIOS to flash Darksofted games (either "custom" or "standard" version).

The reason this seemed like it was working for you is because the Darksofted games are based on the 2I BIOS; 2I was exploited due to an apparent error by Capcom when they encrypted that game, which is why you're able to boot the DS disc and attempt a rewrite.
Ain't that some shit. I didn't know Capcom made that error.

Seems like Tika hit a rare sequence, lol.

I missed the fact he doesn't have his CPS3 board fully populated as well.

I also didn't know there was a mini Zulu out as well.

Thanks for the info about the missing 7th SIMM - I though it would still work but only allow for games to be flashed if the right number of SIMMs were installed (either 6 or7), so much appreciated!

Perhaps I should have been clearer in my previous post about which cart I'm using to flash 2I:

When using the original 2I cart and original CD (with original optical drive), I can flash 2I on the SIMMs no worries.

When I swap the original 2I cart over for my Darksoft cart (Standard SH2 & NoCD BIOS) and attempt to boot off it to flash any other game that's not 2I, I don't get past the initial region select screen, so I can't even attempt to flash a game onto the SIMMs, although it looks like I've hit a corner case where it doesn't let me know I don't have enough SIMMs :\

It's all part of the learning experience I guess!

Back