What's new
I don't follow.v1.00 of what?
Sorry I didn't elaborate further. Each time I use a standard image from what you have available on the first page of the post, there's a menu version number. That was what I was going by. There is a 1.00 and a 3.00 on the selection menu. But I believe that is not too important. but, I have tried all of the standard images and 2nd impact doesn't install. As with the other games when installing it shows the background image od said game, 2nd impact does not.

I would set a baseline.

You say 2nd impact does not install and hangs.

• Does anything else install fine?
  • Can you confirm 3s installs fine?
  • Are you using a fully populated cps3 that's known to work previously?
  • Do you have a darksoft super/ultra bios cart installed?
  • Are you using the correct cd rom image?
  • Do you have a custom or standard SH3? I'm assuming you have a standard if you're wanting to use 4th strike.

But first and foremost, confirm you can write another game like 3s because that's the only game that uses 6 sockets and if it writes fine, then you have an operational kit (ie. your baseline). If you can't write the game, then maybe it's worthwhile cleaning your simm sockets and simm pins then try again. If you still can't, then maybe worthwhile writing a new disc and check that or maybe even your disc drive is faulty. There's plenty of different variables, you just have to do a process of elimination. Maybe a faulty scsi cable too?

Once you have a baseline, then you can go from there.

Example, I tried the image with 4th strike on it right? standard only image. I installed every game successfully earlier today minus 2nd impact. I cleaned simms, I re-transferred the ISO etc. Unless if it's the RP2040's issue as I don't have a real CD drive only the ZuluSCSI but seeing that I have tried every standard image available, the hanging with 2nd impact is consistent. I can upload images tomorrow if needed.

He’s using a repro cart with the Standard SH-2 CPU. No idea if the cart is updated with the latest UltraBIOS or not.

Post in thread 'CPS3 Bad Ram? Need help.'
https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/cps3-bad-ram-need-help.26393/post-387444

I don't want to come off like I am causing a ruckus or anything. I am just the type that likes to keep trying to figure things out. I love this type of stuff. And learning some of these things on the fly is cool. I just want figure this out as it has me stumped. I don't know about the BIOS I have as I just bought the cart as is. Since these aren't easy to get, and I happened to just stumble upon one, I guess that has made this more of a challenge.

Example, I tried the image with 4th strike on it right? standard only image. I installed every game successfully earlier today minus 2nd impact. I cleaned simms, I re-transferred the ISO etc. Unless if it's the RP2040's issue as I don't have a real CD drive only the ZuluSCSI but seeing that I have tried every standard image available, the hanging with 2nd impact is consistent. I can upload images tomorrow if needed.

So reading the other thread, you have it all working except for 2nd impact?

• I can't see the issue being the RP2040's as you're able to write the image for the other games.
  • You've configured the ISO correctly as you can write other games.
To me, it sounds like there is a possibility the image might be an issue? I don't see how as people would've brought it up by now. I've personally written 2nd impact on my zulu setup, but my setup isn't standard SH3. It's an ultra bios custom SH3 so it's not truly 1:1 like yours.

I'm officially out of ideas unfortunately.

The images should be good. Does your CPS3 when you boot has like a small robot on the top and on the bottom a text that says Press 1P to Darksoft Menu?

So reading the other thread, you have it all working except for 2nd impact?

• I can't see the issue being the RP2040's as you're able to write the image for the other games.
  • You've configured the ISO correctly as you can write other games.
To me, it sounds like there is a possibility the image might be an issue? I don't see how as people would've brought it up by now. I've personally written 2nd impact on my zulu setup, but my setup isn't standard SH3. It's an ultra bios custom SH3 so it's not truly 1:1 like yours.

I'm officially out of ideas unfortunately.
2nd Impact is the only game that won't install. I followed the guide for programming the Zulu to get it ready for the CPS3 and even updated it. At this point, I have tried nearly every image. All of the standard images don't install 2nd impact. The custom images DO install impact but can't get past region select. When I choose to install the game, the red light on my Zulu stays solid whereas the other games, the led flashes during the install. Also, I am using a 32GB SD card. I tried a 2GB card I had and the board couldn't even read that.

The images should be good. Does your CPS3 when you boot has like a small robot on the top and on the bottom a text that says Press 1P to Darksoft Menu?
Yes. I can enter the menu with the options available to me. As I mentioned before, I can install the other games and play each game for a few minutes. Minus 2nd impact where the robot just moves there on the now-loading data and it stays that way. I have no clue as to why this is happening.

It should work irrespective of the bios (super or ultra). But updating the bios involves desoldering the flash, writing a new flash and then re-soldering it. Definitely not an "easy" task - especially if you've never done it before or have the necessary tools

It should work irrespective of the bios (super or ultra). But updating the bios involves desoldering the flash, writing a new flash and then re-soldering it. Definitely not an "easy" task - especially if you've never done it before or have the necessary tools
Yeah, I don't have the skills for that.

What I do know is that the person I bought this from told me he purchased this in 2019 and had it stored since then because he never got around to getting a CPS3 board. I assume that would mean that this cart has the super bios? Regardless, for me to have a consistent install issue with one particular game across several images, something isn't right

I assume updating the BIOS on this cart is not easy as well right?

FYI for anyone that needs it: I update the BIOS on CPS3 carts for $35 plus return shipping.

513ABC48-481A-40D6-8B8A-D0C133D33636.jpeg

I wanted to wait until I tested it with every game install and I can confirm I have solved the issue with 2nd impact!

In a guide that was posted when I was asking for help, the guide stated that with an RP2040, the SD card should be formatted to FAT32 and then the image put into the root of said card.

I researched more into the file formats supported by the SCSI card and found out that exfat is also supported aside from FAT32.

I formatted a card with exfat and then did the process to install 2nd impact. And wouldn't you know? 2nd impact was installed and played fine.

There seems to be a conflict happening with 2nd impact's image dealing with the FAT32 filesystem to make it hang and not install.

I am glad I figured it out, and for those in the future that use the RP2040, exfat the card and copy said image.

I used the image with 4th strike on this. I assume the others should work. I may test those to make sure. But, I did it after racking my head after this. I'm glad I got a working CPS3 kit now.

I need a beer.

That's awesome news! I would've thought if there was an issue with file system, it would just be able to be read or not read. Glad you've fixed the issue and I'm sure we can now add it to our memory banks for if ever someone else has a similar issue - first thing to try is "format in exfat"

NOCD Japan and USA BIOS VERSIONS FOR STANDARD and Custom SH2 (4 BIOS in total) - UPDATED November 13th 2020. Region selection menu doesn't show up at all.

Has someone put the standard BIOS from the above set on a cart? I just tried it and I couldn't get it to work. Put a regular Ultrabios afterwards, so it's not a cart and or chip problem.

Back