What's new
Slow microSD could make a DMA miss and produce those white pixels. However I'm surprised they are always in the SAME place. We'll see the. @waiwainl please run that test and let us know the output.
Here are the measurements of the 4 SD cards that I use for testing on my MV-1B and MV-2F:

The bottom/right/last one is the SD card that I use the most. The rest were used for the SD compare tests.
Looks reasonably normal I would say?

Menu21012018 in
\games\menu
\update\menu
ROMsetBinaries tested are the same in Smoke's and Beta package
FormattedGUIformat FAT32, Mac MS-DOS, Windows format
Backup memoryReset before each new situational test
SD cards speedpending answers DS/Deibit

Only things left over where the problem might be:
  • different firmware
  • HW issue
  • suggestions?

Recap of the problem:
MV-1B (PVM)MV-2F (Konami Windy)

Last edited:
just to understand.. You see the lines fixed, and only in the slots 0 and 1 right?

just to understand.. You see the lines fixed, and only in the slots 0 and 1 right?
The pixel errors are position fixed, correct. They are always on the same place, even between power cycles. See the movie I posted earlier (here)

So far I always used virtual game slot #1. But the menu has the same fixed position gfx errors.
The cart has been inserted in slot 0 and 1 on the MV-2F and in MV-1B, obviously, slot 0.

I meant virtual slots, 0 being the menu slot and 1 being the first game slot.

Can you try if you see wrong pixels in the second and third game slot?

Its very strange to me, the only Neo-Geo mobo's I own are IFZ's... And they both worked perfectly with the beta cart (no pixel glitches, games disappearing from the menu, etc).
I also found no difference in functionality between using UniBIOS and stock BIOS.
In a strange way I wish I did encounter some of these issues so I could help troubleshoot/understand whats going on.

Its very strange to me, the only Neo-Geo mobo's I own are IFZ's... And they both worked perfectly with the beta cart (no pixel glitches, games disappearing from the menu, etc).
I also found no difference in functionality between using UniBIOS and stock BIOS.
In a strange way I wish I did encounter some of these issues so I could help troubleshoot/understand whats going on.
that leads me to believe that it's either a last minute bug with the menu or a production problem. Probably the menu....

I meant virtual slots, 0 being the menu slot and 1 being the first game slot.

Can you try if you see wrong pixels in the second and third game slot?
Slot 0 is always reserved for the menu I presume?
I will have a look at the other slots again (I did long time ago but forgot the results)

You just did read my mind. Let me search for it...
The first version of the menu I tested on the Beta cart had a problem displaying Metal Slug 5, I'm not sure why but if you revert I expect this bug to resurface.
Also in the first version, the menu is accessed via Start + A + C... I had asked for this to be changed to retain compatibility with the HAS (this key combo activated the button remapping feature of the HAS so the menu cannot be accessed when using one with this firmware).

Here are the results on the MV-2F with my Alpha Mission 2 test rom.
Presets: reformatted SD card, menu 21012018, games: Alpha Mission 2, Baseball 2020, Andro Dunos.

As you will see, all slots have GFX errors and no matter which slot the game is, the GFX error are exactly on the same spot.

What I notice is that the GFX errors are super obvious in the menu/title screens, but not really in-game. I can't be sure, but I have difficulty spotting any obvious GFX errors while playing/attract mode.

Click the pictures to enlarge.

menu senario 1

Slot1
Slot2
Slot3
menu senario 2

Slot1
Slot2
Slot3

Also encountered a reboot bug. With all three games running in attract mode for a few seconds. The watchdog kicks in (or crashes) and resets the game.

This is the previous version of the menu. It has glitches as @jassin000 explained and sound problems but there shouldnt be any gfx problems at all and changing slots, etc should happen flawless.

@waiwainl, @Sp33dFr34k and anyone having troubles AND ONLY if you have troubles with current version, please give it a go.

link removed by Darksoft. That old version of the menu doesnt help in any case.

This is the previous version of the menu. It has glitches as @jassin000 explained and sound problems but there shouldnt be any gfx problems at all and changing slots, etc should happen flawless.

@waiwainl, @Sp33dFr34k and anyone having troubles AND ONLY if you have troubles with current version, please give it a go.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/wonzl4sdq4e1xwn/menu-20171201.7z
Presets: reformatted SD, menu 20171201 (\games\menu, \update\menu - confirmed update files were removed after updating), reset Backup memory.

No change so it seems. You can still see the GFX errors above/below the rectangle.

Why no change? Look at the date of the Menu Build.

Give it a try and let's see if that fixed your problems.

Out of interest, those of you having graphics issues:

- Are you all running UNIBIOS? It may be ignoring a hardware issue?

- Can you check what brand of RAM you have on your boards? I'd be interested to know if all of you have the same.

- Have any of you been able to try your multi in a motherboard that someone else is using for a multi that's working perfectly?

Out of interest, those of you having graphics issues:

- Are you all running UNIBIOS? It may be ignoring a hardware issue?

- Can you check what brand of RAM you have on your boards? I'd be interested to know if all of you have the same.

- Have any of you been able to try your multi in a motherboard that someone else is using for a multi that's working perfectly?
^THAT^ would certainly be a good test. We're conducting similar ones as we speak.

Why no change? Look at the date of the Menu Build.

Give it a try and let's see if that fixed your problems.
No change because the white dots are still above/below the rectangle.

This is how Alpha Mission 2 looks like:

This is how the boot sequence looks like:

I see.

@waiwainl I think in your case looks more like a production problem. The other people having issues with graphic glitches moving (not static like yours), this version of menu can help.

@Sp33dFr34k, @Milspex , @K405, @PascalP can you please confirm if this version of menu improves anything?

Thanks.

A whole lot less glitching graphics on this december Menu build so it seems.

I'm also running Unibios, but it's looking a lot better now. Still some glitches.. Unibios splash screen still looks like garbage

Back