What's new
Meh...

After the latest firmware update the cart shows some weird flickering in the menu and ingame, too (randomly all over the screen)...

Example:
photo.jpg
I am having this same problem - even in games... I am going to downgrade to the firmware from 11/27 to see if that resolves the issue.
Add me to the list of folks that are having this same problem -- this flickering all over the screen, both in the menu and in-game. It only started when I updated the firmware (I used the method outlined above by SVM). I did not have this issue before the update (specifically, before the top file was updated). Also (not sure if this is related) each time I power cycle the cart restores to defaults.

I haven't tried downgrading the firmware yet. Any suggestions?

EDIT: I'm running the cart on a MV-1F with Unibios 4.0

Last edited:
Reactions: SVM
@Pinball, @SVM, @mathewbeall. Can you try the new top file published in the 1st post together with this flash.img attached and see if that fixes?

Also let me know which Firmware revision and build do you see in the menu when you go to "About". It should be right now 0x03e4 and 5603.

After you install this flash.img attached, it will be 0x0000 and 5603

Attachments

• flash.zip
    77 KB · Views: 170
I updated to the latest firmware and top file and menu.

I got the same random lines as posted above by SVM.

I just tried the flash file just posted above and now I'm not sure what is going on. I just get a blank screen with a white line across the top.

I'll do some more testing...

@opossumit
there are now 5 versions of kof98 supported. Which one are you using?
Some of them don't allow to play in AES mode and you need to choose MVS.

Hi DarkSoft, I'm using the KOF98 version which is included in Smoke
Monster's Roll Up pack (file name "Darksoft Neo Geo Base Pack
2018-04-02.7z", games/kof98 folder) in MVS ARCADE mode...It should work,
am i correct? I've tried some other games and everything works fine...
What's happening here? :)

UPDATE: The game works ONLY in AES (CONSOLE) mode with 20181204 firmware and 20181129 menu
The game works in BOTH MVS and AES (CONSOLE) mode with 20181003 firmware and 20181017 menu

Thanks for attention.
A.

Last edited:
I was having a play with this, and started seeing the lines/glitches too.

Upon rolling back to the top file (attached), the glitches disappeared.

Currently it is running the Flash.img from a couple of posts above, and the 20181129 menu

IMG_6642.jpg

Attachments

• top_file.zip
    176.2 KB · Views: 163
@Pinball, @SVM, @mathewbeall. Can you try the new top file published in the 1st post together with this flash.img attached and see if that fixes?

Also let me know which Firmware revision and build do you see in the menu when you go to "About". It should be right now 0x03e4 and 5603.

Using the flash image you supplied a few posts ago, and the TOP file from the last zip file (20181204_r996_MVS) I still get the line glitches... here is my About screen.

Quick update - I used the top file posted above by @wigsplitta - no screen glitches. About screen looks the same. I have to run to work now, so this concludes my testing for the next 10 hours or so :)

Attachments

• IMG_0897.jpg
    IMG_0897.jpg
    830.7 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
I was having a play with this, and started seeing the lines/glitches too.

Upon rolling back to the top file (attached), the glitches disappeared.

Currently it is running the Flash.img from a couple of posts above, and the 20181129 menu

IMG_6642.jpg
most probably that's a last minute bug introduced in the top file.

@mathewbeall, @wigsplitta can you try leaving that top file that works well for you and update only the latest flash.img?
If that works, can you try to install this top file which is between the one @wigsplitta posted and the newest one?

Attachments

• top_20181126.zip
    176.1 KB · Views: 167
I haven't updated yet, but out of interest, what do the flash.img and top files update exactly? Would I be fine just updating the fw with the flash.img and using the new menu?

Firmware and top go together hand in hand as one is for the ARM and the other for the FPGA and they communicate all the time, so the same version or one that communicates in the same ways, supports the same commands, etc. must be used.

Darksoft said:
can you try leaving that top file that works well for you and update only the latest flash.img?
Affirmative, that 'older' top file was in use and updating to the latest flash.img worked fine.

Darksoft said:
If that works, can you try to install this top file which is between the one @wigsplitta posted and the newest one?
The newer "top 20181126" has now been successfully updated, and I can't see any glitches in the menu/game :thumbup:

Done, with the following results:

Before installing this new flash image the firmware revision and build were as you noted, 0x03e4 and 0x5603

After installing the new firmware, though, the revision and build were 0x0000 and 0x03af. I even tried reinstalling the new top file after that, and it still showed the same firmware revision and build.

Installation of the new firmware did not help the video glitches at all. In fact, it seems to have introduced some audio glitches (static during the in-game audio).

I haven't yet tried rolling back the top file like wigsplitta did, but since the video glitches first manifested themselves when I updated the top file it wouldn't surprise me that this file is the problem.

Just upgraded to the new firmware and menu using a MV-1FZ, here's my findings.

- The newest TOP file is giving me lots of graphic glitches, like @wigsplitta above mentioned as well, the 20181126 one works perfectly
- Wow, it just feels so much quicker!
- Holy crap, it IS a lot quicker!
- The revised layout looks very nice :)
- The new settings work!

I just have some very minor graphic glitch when I am changing the menu item, or basically when I am scrolling through the menu. This has always been the case for me with any firmware/menu so far and have to say it doesn't bother me...

Good job guys! :)

I'm happy to report that using the "top 20181126" file solved all of my problems -- the graphics glitches, audio glitches and even the cart restoring to defaults on each power cycle!

Now to check out the latest firmware improvements!!

I'll update the firmware in the 1st post. Probably a last minute introduced bug.

Reactions: SVM
Back