What's new
Oh wait... I I guess I was confusing Tengai with another game... I was thinking of Sol Divide when I mentioned it earlier. I guess I'll need to see if my Tengai has sound issues.

Herrs my Gunbird 2. Didnt notice any obvious audio issues, but im pretty bad at hearing such things. Video is glitching though cause OSSC dropped sync a bunch apparently.

Here is a capture from yesterday which shows the audio.
View: https://youtu.be/Rcy1CWg2m0o

Also yes. I just want to flex that 1CC.

Attachments

• 8A0B3802-9C3E-406B-B4B4-04BCD8EF75A7.jpeg
    8A0B3802-9C3E-406B-B4B4-04BCD8EF75A7.jpeg
    251.4 KB · Views: 95
  • 6E4555C3-86FB-4231-ABF2-7F74CFFDF343.jpeg
    6E4555C3-86FB-4231-ABF2-7F74CFFDF343.jpeg
    283.8 KB · Views: 96
Herrs my Gunbird 2. Didnt notice any obvious audio issues, but im pretty bad at hearing such things. Video is glitching though cause OSSC dropped sync a bunch apparently.

You can’t really hear the problem unless you run the game on a cab directly. Using a supergun takes the amped audio back down to line level which mostly masks it. That was my experience at least.

I mean, I was playing on a cab as you can see in the vid, but i guess the capture (which is line level through BetsuBetsu) wont show it then.
Played at pretty low volume and I'm horrendously bad at hearing audio issues though so not too helpful maybe.

You can’t really hear the problem unless you run the game on a cab directly. Using a supergun takes the amped audio back down to line level which mostly masks it. That was my experience at least.
I use mine on a Naomi converted to Jamma, so the audio goes into a "line level converter" and then goes into the Naomi amplifier. The sound is pretty terrible.

My Tengai buzz is so bad you can hear it clear even with HAS and OSSC...

I have a Strikers 1945 in SH404 board.
When running on a cab, volumen is pretty low, even when turning the pot all the way up. Doing that, the volume is as loud as any other PCB when set it up just in the middle, what makes me mad…

I plan to recap all the audio section hoping that could be the issue. What do you think?

For this, I can’t check for the background noise you report in this thread.

I also noticed a little handmade jumper made into some pads just below the ROM 3 (sound), as seen in the following pic:

FD8F3696-E7F7-4EBD-8A4B-0A34C43E3DB0.jpeg

I never saw that before in any pic of Strikers 1945 pcb

@Nebula jumpers might be region related.

https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=20706&start=30

Can you take a full picture of your PCB please ?

Sure, here it is:

6AD53ECD-6B69-4655-8B30-32E914A0DAEE.jpeg

I’ve just dumped program roms and it is “s1945a” romset ("Strikers 1945 (Japan / World)")
So, makes sense that the jumper is used to determine región on this dual-region romset.

According to MAME, Japan version shouldn't have any jumpers, am i right?:

C++:
    /***********************************************
    This Dip port is bit based:
    Bit 0 1 2 3
        1 1 1 1 Japan, anything but 0x0f = "World"
    ************************************************/
    PORT_CONFNAME( 0x0000000f, 0x0000000f, DEF_STR( Region ) )
    PORT_CONFSETTING(          0x0000000f, DEF_STR( Japan ) )
    PORT_CONFSETTING(          0x0000000e, DEF_STR( World ) )

I will recap the audio section to check if volume issue is related.
In a quick view, I noticed some differences (all related to voltages) between caps installed in my PCB and the ones compiled for Tengai (same SH404) in that Capacitor Sheet that was shared in this or another thread.

Last edited:

I can hear the bad sound at the start of your video. If you let the opening animation play and turn up the volume, you will hear lots of unpleasant noises that vary with the video displayed.

Can someone confirm for me that the opening animation has no music or sound effects, even with demo sound set to "on"?

Here’s my strikers 1945 ll

https://files.fm/u/8qvd77dkd
Sounds nasty. I connected the JAMMA pins 11 and M on Gunbird 2 to the line level input of an external audio amplifier and the signal was so low I could barely hear it. Too low to even hear if the noise is present. I’ll have to stick with the nasty JAMMA audio and hope one of us finds a fix.

11 and M are not connected on the JAMMA edge.
10 and L is the speaker but L is not guaranteed to be GND. Before connecting to an external amp you should verify that L is GND or risk damage to your equipment.

11 and M are not connected on the JAMMA edge.
10 and L is the speaker but L is not guaranteed to be GND. Before connecting to an external amp you should verify that L is GND or risk damage to your equipment.
I wired 11 and M directly from the Gunbird 2 PCB to a 25k ohm potentiometer, then to an external amp input.

Ok, but the audio circuit on Gunbird 2 is also wired to pins 11 and M. So I used alligator clips to connect pins 11 and M from the GB2 PCB to a potentiometer and to an audio amplifier. I grounded the negative terminal of the pot to my cabinet so pin M was also grounded (it works without being grounded but is noisy). This was all done with my Blast City original amplifier removed from the cabinet so there was nothing connnected to pins 10 and L. I could hear the game but it was very quiet even with the pot turned fully clockwise.

In the original JAMMA standard there was an option to put line out on 11 and M where M is audio GND.

Looking at the Gunbird 2 PCB pics it looks like this is what Psikyo is doing. Can you please @Thomas snap some hires pictures of the audio section and JAMMA edge so we can trace where the signals go ?

If my assumption is correct it means you have line out already :)

So what is the sound quality like, out of the line out ?

Back