What's new
If anyone is looking for a scart-cable, here is the one I purchased and it works great:
http://www.oldskoolconsoles.com/product-page/rgb-scart
For us EU guys, there's http://www.oldskoolconsoles.com/
They don't have pics of the cable, but they do stock them (at least they did a week ago). Be warned though, it's DIY and somewhat fiddly. See instructions here. Also, mine didn't come with the audio cable, which is a regular male to male headphone cable.
Ok, so http://www.oldskoolconsoles.com/product-page/rgb-scart-n64 seems to be the right place to order the 8 pin mini DIN to SCART RGB adapter from Europe, but the order page has a dropdown menu for choosing between "Frontloader / Toaster / Toploader" model and "Famicom AV / N64 / NTSC SNES" model. I suppose the "Frontloader / Toaster / Toploader" should be the right option, but I'm not sure. I tried to send an email to david@oldskoolconsoles.com but I didn't receive any reply yet. What did you order guys?

Thank you in advance.
Best regards.

Locutus73

I killed a power supply by plugging in my UD Decoder with the HAS powered on, so I wouldn't recommend it. Luckily the HAS was fine, but it was quite the newbie wake up call. =O
This seems really strange to me. How could this technically happen?

Regards.

Locutus73

I killed a power supply by plugging in my UD Decoder with the HAS powered on, so I wouldn't recommend it. Luckily the HAS was fine, but it was quite the newbie wake up call. =O
This seems really strange to me. How could this technically happen?
On the HAS DB15 pin connector you have 5V on pin 8 and GND on pin 1. On the HAS you also have the shield connected to GND.

If you are inserting a connector like this:

412dFeF8S3L._SY355_.jpg

You can easily short the 5V to GND thus shorting your supply.

Last edited:
Seems pretty unlikely one would manage to make inadvertent contact between pin 8 and the shield/gnd? I mean it's a female connector, the pins aren't openly exposed.

I also don't see the need to gnd the shield. Sure for a video or audio connection that makes sense but not for controller inputs.

I tested this scenario with my sgun and snes adapters and have yet to damage anything. I still think it's best to have everything turned off before making power connections but it really shouldn't blow things up.

Quick question:
I have the HAS with a few UD Decoders and friends that bring their own fightsticks to play ST. I was wondering is it safe to unplug and plug controllers while the HAS is powered on?

For instance: if one person is done playing, can they unplug their fightstick and another person plug in theirs if they want to jump in?
Wow, that sucks!! Maybe it was a weak psu/about to die?? Maybe @RGB can explain how the joystick ports are powered on the HAS? Directly from the PSU??

It should be ok to plug/unplug the usb joystick, not the UD Decoder itself from the HAS while powered?!

I think I missed the last batch but can I be added to the list when you add more has units for presale? Thanks.

PSUs usually have some protection circuits (SCP, OCP, OCP/UVP etc.), but weird stuff can happen regardless. Have you checked if the fuse inside the PSU is ok?

Regarding the grounded DB15 connector shield - I don't even want to get into much details, but why would some shield for signal lines against EMI and all sorts of stuff the cable can potentially pick up be a bad idea? (sometimes very long cable, too, I personally build a 5m long DB15 to DB15 cable for a member here). Remember there's a microcontroller on HAS and it relies on the built-in I/O protections only. As for improvements, I'll look into resettable fuse for the +5V line that goes to the DB15 connector.

Again, the instruction for HAS says one mustn't connect/disconnect cables, controllers and other accessories while the device is powered on.

@kadrik0 - added you to the list, thanks for interest!

ok somewhere in here someone mentioned extron rgb 203 rxi. I have one so figured hey why not play with it and make my chain here more stupid. Ok so if I don’t enable ddsp I can only get one of my monitors to sync. Without it you get some centering controls, but they don’t work very well, I’d say they are pretty much useless. You can kind of move the image left and right if your monitor even syncs, but up and down don’t do anything. With ddsp enabled ninja gaiden syncs to all my monitors just fine. I’m not sure exactly what that does. What the extron does give you is a level boost which is kind of nice and you get a nice little display telling you the signal coming in which is kind of sweet if you are as nerdy about this shit as I am. I’m thinking I might use this for my supergun here, a raspberry pi, and a mist fpga and I can switch all that stuff through this box. Saves some slots on my 16x8 extron and really I’ll only play one of those things at a time. One thing is I had to split sync from the supergun. I’m using a sync strike, seems to work fine. So chain here is jamma board to neotropolis supergun to sync strike to extron rgb 203 rxi to extron crosspoint to a Sony PVM 1943 md and I have two Olympus oev203. Just one of the Olympus monitors is in the picture. Box under the rxi has an arcade supply in it that I am going to use with the supergun because I’m stupid and dint realize this supergun doesn’t supply -5v.

Anyway for anyone still with me, what is ddsp really and maybe I’m better off without the rxi in the chain. It does give me some switching though.

Attachments

• 2871393D-A966-4589-B575-18595F11C5E6.jpeg
    2871393D-A966-4589-B575-18595F11C5E6.jpeg
    344.3 KB · Views: 254
Haha tried buster bros and I couldn’t get that to sync no matter what I did on the rxi. Vertical just rolled. Fun stuff. So I bypassed the extron and sync strike and it was fine. So testing two boards I would say this is probably not worth the hassle. Can’t say I understand why it synced ninja gaiden fine but not buster bros.

Buster Bros and Super Buster Bros both refuse to sync with the Taito scaler as well, same rolling effect if it locks at all.
I can get them to work on the OSSC by passing unbuffered 75ohm sync via 8pin mini-din/SCART connector from the HAS.
I only tested the HD15/VGA connector once, but it also wouldn't sync (who knows if I had continued to play with the options if it would have locked).

Using a HAS + OSSC + iScan DVDO VP30 + Vewlix Diamond
opmG4h0.jpg

Ninja Gaiden however will sync with all my scalers (Taito, OSSC, xRGB, etc etc) so I don't think it uses a very offspec sync at all (unlike Buster Bros).

Ok, sweet we have some of the same boards! I decided to split the sync off my supergun and that works fine. Gives me the rgb boost from the rxi and the h/v display. So maybe I’ll just leave it like that, I have this weird issue with buster bros where it fades away after a few seconds on one of my Olympus oev203s. On the other one it is fine. If I switch inputs on the monitor to something else then back to rgb it shows again and starts fading out again. Have you heard of that issue? It is not a big deal since I have the other monitors but it is a mystery to me and I’ve heard of similar issues others have had.

If I switch inputs on the monitor to something else then back to rgb it shows again and starts fading out again. Have you heard of that issue?
I remember someone posting something similar about a Blast City (Nanao 2930) and a VGA device (possibly a Dreamcast)?
I've never personally experienced it, and that above detail was from so long ago I might be incorrect about the VGA source or other key information.

All I can say for sure, Buster/Super Buster produces strange syncs that most scalers do not like/won't lock.
Just another mention while I'm thinking of it... Captain America and the Avengers wouldn't sync on Taito, but works on both xRGB mini and OSSC.

RGB, I just watched Smoke Monster's You Tube vid and I'm interested in ordering the HAS. Please add me to your presale list when more become available, thanks! I own a JNX supergun, are your Saturn to Jamma joypad converters compatible with those units as well?

Depends on how James wired them, but I'm 99.9% sure JNX supergun uses normal/standard "supergun" DB15 pinout.
db15_laugh.PNG

So yea, most likely works.

Lucky me my first two cps2 games showed up and my harness showed up on the same day. Next up the multi and the 3p/4p has board to fill out all cps2 can do. And I probably should change this battery since it was last changed in 2010.

Attachments

• 635DF0C4-0649-422B-A763-49B24C6B803D.jpeg
    635DF0C4-0649-422B-A763-49B24C6B803D.jpeg
    326.9 KB · Views: 195
  • E0EEAFE2-960F-449C-A7CC-0591E2186479.jpeg
    E0EEAFE2-960F-449C-A7CC-0591E2186479.jpeg
    305.6 KB · Views: 444
Quick question:
I have the HAS with a few UD Decoders and friends that bring their own fightsticks to play ST. I was wondering is it safe to unplug and plug controllers while the HAS is powered on?

For instance: if one person is done playing, can they unplug their fightstick and another person plug in theirs if they want to jump in?
@undamned can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe there is circuit protection IF the decoder is already plugged into the device so you can swap USB cables around. It's not advised however to unplug and plug things into the DB15 ports of a supergun while it is turned on.

I finally had some time to get my HAS setup and in doing so realized I'm missing a power cord to connect to the MWP-606. It looks like I could get one from RetroArcade.us that I would connect to power socket and then a PC power cord. Does anyone have a more elegant solution? I'm based in the US. Thanks for your time.

- Steve

Back