What's new
Hello everyone,

Has anyone here used the Pi with the 3.5” screen with the piforce tool? Would it be the same process steps to setting it up with the piforce tools, and where would you place the picture so it can display like this

Attachments

• 0D2A55C0-283C-4625-88DD-678889EDD0D3.jpeg
    0D2A55C0-283C-4625-88DD-678889EDD0D3.jpeg
    116.1 KB · Views: 41
I have such setup. The only complain I have is the lack of feedback on what’s happening after you press to launch, and that each press on the game to start it queue it up. So it you double press or more by mistake or thinking you did not press it right due to the lack of feedback, it will execute the loading of the game in a loop over and over again.

I have such setup. The only complain I have is the lack of feedback on what’s happening after you press to launch, and that each press on the game to start it queue it up. So it you double press or more by mistake or thinking you did not press it right due to the lack of feedback, it will execute the loading of the game in a loop over and over again.
Thanks for the review :) , did you set it up the same way you would set it up with a 16x2 screen ? And also where did you place the picture for the games?

TBH, I got it premade, probably provided by the same guy from that french video you've linked. The setup is a bit different than what I've seen. It does not seem to need a zero pic either. The games need to be on a specific folder on the Linux formatted partition of the memory card, and the pictures need to have the same name as the rom for it to work. here is the video that was provided to me to show me where:
Images worked as jpg or png.

I have that exact touch screen on a control setup I built for my 3D printer the touch functionality is TERRIBLE and the screen is overpriced IMO. I'd take the normal keypad+character LCD any day.

if you want a touch screen just buy a cheap iPod Touch and run a web-app, it'll be 1/4th the price and wireless.

I concur :P That lack of feedback and accidental press makes it really tricky to operate for just a tiny bit of eye candy. Also sometimes the images are hard to read and you have to squint to see which version ot game it's supposed to be.

Thanks you guys for all the feedback on this, ill just go with the regular keypad+character lcd.. the big screen with pictures of the games is a nice feature but not worth does little headaches :S ... back to the original plan :thumbup:

normally, a touch screen and even a membrane keyboard produce a short beep when the screen is touched (or a key is pressed)
This gives a clear indication that the user interaction was detected.
In my opinion, a screen needs to be at least 5 inch before it works comfortable as touchscreen.
Older touchscreens and most resistive ones can detect a single touch point only.
They don't support swiping very well, and everybody is used to that on his smartphone.

Hello everyone is there a specific crossover ethernet cable i need or anyone would do?

You don't need a crossover cable. A regular ass cat5/5e/6 cable will work fine.

I crimped my own crossover cable, but Microcenter sells 'em if you are in need.
A regular ass cat5/5e/6 cable will work fine
Uh... Without a switch or router in between, ya you totally need a crossover cable.
It's just like networking two PC's together without a router/switch.

Uh... Without a switch or router in between, ya you totally need a crossover cable.It's just like networking two PC's together without a router/switch.
No, you don't. Unless you are using a laptop or computer from the 90's. Try it sometime, you'd be surprised.

I'll put it this way. I don't own a crossover cable in my house.

Networking equipment nowadays should all be auto-switching, also a Raspberry.

So works just fine with a ‘straight’ cable

Last edited:
That always puzzled me.
What happens if you connect 2 auto switching devices to each other and they both start switching wire pairs?

It's negotiated like anything else.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medium-dependent_interface#Auto_MDI-X

When two auto MDI-X ports are connected together, which is normal for modern products, the algorithm resolution time is typically < 500 ms. However, a ~1.4 second asynchronous timer is used to resolve the extremely rare case (with a probability of less than 1 in 5×1021) of a loop where each end keeps switching.

Last edited:
Uh... Without a switch or router in between, ya you totally need a crossover cable.It's just like networking two PC's together without a router/switch.

You don't need a crossover cable. A regular ass cat5/5e/6 cable will work fine.
Word.

Been using a straight cable for years, without issues, with Pi-force tools loading on my NetDimm.

I get it man. Hard to break old habits. Generally speaking, anything after ~2003/4 is going to have that functionality built into the chip/driver. And only one end needs to have that functionality. A 2016 r-pi fits that bill. Or a modern desktop or laptop. It gets frustrating seeing first responses to troubleshooting along the lines of "are you using a crossover cable?".

Now, if we are talking cabling two chihiro's directly for outrun2sp link action? Those came out in 2003 and I haven't looked up the chipset or experimented with direct linkage yet. Looks like it has a LSI L80227 that does not have auto-mdix. That setup would need a crossover cable. And I'm certain there are various other scenarios that make the caveat.

A lot of the info is copy/pasted from early 2k/late 90's sources so those stigmas are still out there. Good to have newer info getting out there tho.

Back