What's new
if i recall right they are led connectors i have this type of only net netdim. i replaced the top duaghter board with a reg netdim with gdrom thou i have it in a box

I have the connectors on my netdimm. Tossed it in my Naomi 2 tonight and got the test menu so I’m good to go with the next steps. Hoping tomorrow I’ll get a game booted. Ikaruga arcade is a grail for me ever since I played it a ton on the Dreamcast, so I’ll start with that. Next grail would be getting initial d running with the card readers I picked up lately and getting wheel/pedals hooked up.

Alrighty. A friend and I tested various junk last night and got the web pi force tools running and got it working using python from my laptop. I get the gateway error using transfergame so that indicates maybe a bad zero key? Anyway used the work around using python to keep the connection open instead of just using transfergame. I’m getting another zero key from mitsu so maybe that solves it. It was really cool to see Ikaruga and dolphin blue running! Learning the ins and outs of all this stuff has been fun and acquiring all the junk to do it kind of expensive but it is really awesome in the end when shit works. Getting the netdimm updated was a bitch. My guess is it was not seated perfectly. Took lots of tries and a couple of reseats. Usually it would fail at 0% but then it got to like 12% and failed and to 50% and failed and then it just worked. I’ve heard some people take the netdimm out of the case to get more solid contact, any of you do that? I think I’ll try to find some more screws to secure it better. I just have 2 of the 4 dimm screws.

I’m also curious how large of a sd card are you guys using in the pi? I figure 128gb is probably good so ordered one that size.

I figure 128gb is probably good so ordered one that size.
Jesus fuck!
Uh... IF you are going to use the Piforce with stuff like a Triforce and/or Chihiro I guess maybe then?
For just Naomi tho, I'd say over kill big time.

sd cards seem so cheap to me now. It was like $20 for a 64 or $30 for a 128, so I figure why not.

I say keep your cards smaller, just get faster speeds.
The high speed "quality" (Samsung) microSD cards art still kinda expensive (10$ more than avg anyway).
NgWT60q.jpg

I get the gateway error using transfergame so that indicates maybe a bad zero key?
gateway has nothing to do with the zero key.

The "gateway" is the machine that the Net-DIMM is attempting to communicate with over the eithernet connection. When it says "bad gateway" it's saying "I can't find a machine at the IP address you entered in my settings".

The key chip is there to decrypt the game. So after a network connection has been established and after the game has been transferred the key is used to un-encrypt the game's security so that it can run. a "zero key" is just a key chip that has had the key set to all 0s.

As was stated in the first post, a zero key isn't even needed as long as you retain the network connection to the "server" machine the entire time you're playing.

A new Zero key will not fix your gateway issue.

Ok, my question then is why transfergame.exe doesn’t hold the connection?

Ok, my question then is why transfergame.exe doesn’t hold the connection?
the Web Pi-Force Tools has a that functionality disabled.

from the net-boot web-interface thread:
I have not incorporated any sort of keep-alive into the code. There were provisions for that in the original netboot script that I am not currently using.
This question make me realize that it's not really clear WHEN you're getting the gateway error.

if you're getting it right at the start that's a settings issue. If you're getting it AFTER the connection was established and you've transferred a game, then it's a zero key issue. or you could solve it by using something other than the web-interface tools since they don't keep the connection alive and require a good working Zero Key.

Wasn't transfergame.exe the original sega software?
The python script that keeps the connection uses "a sort of hack" and periodically resets a timer that would generate an error at timeout when no pic was found.
Running a game without pic is not what sega wants you to do.

Probably another transfergame.exe... was a windows program.

Last edited:
Ok, next logical question. Why wouldn’t you want that functionality? Why would one disable it?

Wasn't transfergame.exe the original sega software?
yeah, except that's also what they call it in the Python setups as well: transfergame.py

that's why it's important to specify the extension so people don't get confused.

The impression I got from his post above is that he's using the web-tools on a python/linux laptop... transfergame.exe wont work on that.

I’m running python on a windows laptop so played around with transfergame.exe and the python code

Not sure if anyone else has run into this, but thought it's worth posting. Admittedly I didn't read all 8 pages of this thread, so forgive me if it's repeat info.

My netboot (NAOMI 1) setup would boot SFZ3U and CVS2 just fine, maybe a couple others, but most games would appear to load and then I would just get a black screen. Upon testing with the NAOMI directly connected to an OSSC, I was able to see via the OSSC's screen that when the screen goes black, the vertical refresh frequency was going to something like 70hz. Cycling the OSSC would result in re-syncing at something more normal (around 59-60hz), and video resuming normally. Maybe some monitors out there can tolerate whatever frequency change is occuring when the game initiates, or maybe it's something just with my setup that I'm doing wrong. But if you get the same experience, simply cycling your monitor or anything you have chained between NAOMI and monitor, may fix it.

Ok, next logical question. Why wouldn’t you want that functionality? Why would one disable it?
IIRC He wasn't sure what it did and it's disabled for Chihiro and TriForce because there are issues with the keep-alive on those systems, so he just disabled it universally.

Not sure if anyone else has run into this, but thought it's worth posting. Admittedly I didn't read all 8 pages of this thread, so forgive me if it's repeat info.

My netboot (NAOMI 1) setup would boot SFZ3U and CVS2 just fine, maybe a couple others, but most games would appear to load and then I would just get a black screen. Upon testing with the NAOMI directly connected to an OSSC, I was able to see via the OSSC's screen that when the screen goes black, the vertical refresh frequency was going to something like 70hz. Cycling the OSSC would result in re-syncing at something more normal (around 59-60hz), and video resuming normally. Maybe some monitors out there can tolerate whatever frequency change is occuring when the game initiates, or maybe it's something just with my setup that I'm doing wrong. But if you get the same experience, simply cycling your monitor or anything you have chained between NAOMI and monitor, may fix it.
Interesting. My brother picked up a Sony monitor that has a 60/70hz switch that I didn’t really understand the purpose of. I’m thinking that monitor would work well with Naomi. Anyone know what the deal with that is? I tested a Dreamcast to it through vga with a few of the games that supported it and those worked well.

I know that chihiro only outputs composite sync on the hsync pin of the vga connector.
I have no idea if naomi is identical but I do know that not all monitors like this.
I also seem to remember that naomi puts some voltage on pin 9.
There are monitors that have that pin grounded. The original naomi vga cable has no connection on that pin (or that pin removed)

It's irrelevant here but good to keep in mind.

@obcd I know that. Many monitors don't like it. Has anyone seen some selling kits for sync separator? There is an IC doing all the job. It's the lm1881.

I get the gateway error using transfergame so that indicates maybe a bad zero key?
which exactly error ? where is 2 possible:

ERROR 33
GATEWAY IS NOT FOUND.
this usually means you use wrong zero key (there is 2 types - for GD/CF Boot, and for Net-Boot), or possible wrong jumper settings.

or

ERROR 34
GATEWAY CANNOT BE FOUND.
this means - LAN cable is not connected, or smth wrong with Ethernet in general (might be bad connection of lower and upper DIMM PCBs)

Back