What's new
I took a look at @Kidkaos's setup and the issue was the micro sd card adapter. The Raspberry Pi simply wasn't posting. Using a different micro sd to sd card adapter solved the issue.

The piforce-tools download link and instructions on the git-repo are still good (just built a fresh install last week). https://github.com/travistyoj/piforcetools
Thanks, its working now. However I still have the issue of the backlight turning on then shutting off. Ive changed the file to read busnum = 1 on two of the files and that didnt work. Also I removed lcd.backlight(lcd.BLUE) after and that didnt work either. Any ideas?

Thanks, its working now. However I still have the issue of the backlight turning on then shutting off. Ive changed the file to read busnum = 1 on two of the files and that didnt work. Also I removed lcd.backlight(lcd.BLUE) after and that didnt work either. Any ideas?
What is the make of LCD (there are a few out there other than the original adafruit one) and how well is it seated in the GPIO? Also, anything showing as an error if you hook up the HDMI display?

@Evan any progress with your issue? I have a newly built system in front of me with a new Adafruit LCD keypad that's doing what you describe. In the process of trying to diagnose the problem and find a solution. Thinking it's an issue in the initialization python script. The way it's written it initializes, then detects the Raspberry Pi revision and then re-initializes. Thinking that that the second initialization is turning the LCD off. Might be a difference in newer LCD hardware on old 1B Pis.

Last edited:
@Evan solved the issue, and it's a good one to track as an overall issue for pifroce tools.

If you have a 16 pin LCD rather than 18 pin, it means that you're LCD does not support RGB commands. In the piforcetools.py file there is a line...
Code:
lcd.backlight(lcd.BLUE)
Comment this line out, and everything seems to work afterwards.

Edit: here are some pictures of my current piforce tool systems (trying to find the best combination of case and components). All are using adafruit LCD panels, but note that the middle one in the first picture one has 16 pins rather than 18 (two are left unused on the button PCB).
IMG_1305.jpgIMG_1304.jpg

Last edited:
Found a [FORK] of the tools which includes a RGB cycle on boot to confirm everything works. Adds some interesting features such as a favorites system, but also boots far slower. But I can crib some code and ideas off it for my own use.

I've had this running for a while now, great setup guide btw. I see nothing in the thread about how to alter the settings of a game when loaded.

Every time i load a game into my HOTD2 cab i have to enter the service menu and change the settings from the default for example, setting to free play.

Nothing stands out in piforce tools scrips that can be altered, suppose we have to alter the actual game rom in some way.
Anyone have idea here on how to set the rom to always load in free play mode?
Any way to write back to the sd card and save high scores?

I've had this running for a while now, great setup guide btw. I see nothing in the thread about how to alter the settings of a game when loaded.

Every time i load a game into my HOTD2 cab i have to enter the service menu and change the settings from the default for example, setting to free play.

Nothing stands out in piforce tools scrips that can be altered, suppose we have to alter the actual game rom in some way.
Anyone have idea here on how to set the rom to always load in free play mode?
Any way to write back to the sd card and save high scores?

Check @DragonMinded menu, which has been included in @chunksin image. See https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/netboot-naomi-with-eeprom-presets.18977/page-9#post-329522

Hello everyone,

Can some of your guys share the volrage reading you use for your naomi set up with the piforce? Trying to get mines dialed up correctly.. naomi is very picky 😒

Back