What's new

Dloop

Professional
Reaction score
How are you guys connecting a USB keyboard to the DE 10 nano?

I'm up to the part where i need to have a keyboard connected to hit F12 and open the menu to configure wifi and update, but this thing has no USB ports on it and i don't have any kind of USB to whatever port i need adaptor. So is this an extra thing people need to take into account to set this up? Make sure you get a USB to mini usb adaptor so you can run this step via a keyboard? Just wondering if there's something i'm missing here.
I used a micro to usb female adapter, but pressing f12 and left did not bring me to a place I could edit the config. So I just put the sd card in my computer and manually set the four settings in the mister_example.ini and then renamed it to mister.ini.

invzim

Champion
Reaction score
How are you guys connecting a USB keyboard to the DE 10 nano?

I'm up to the part where i need to have a keyboard connected to hit F12 and open the menu to configure wifi and update, but this thing has no USB ports on it and i don't have any kind of USB to whatever port i need adaptor. So is this an extra thing people need to take into account to set this up? Make sure you get a USB to mini usb adaptor so you can run this step via a keyboard? Just wondering if there's something i'm missing here.
https://irkenlabs.com/jamma-expander/operation
1pstart + right = F12

It's way easier to set the MiSTer up on a desk though, and then move it to a cab once things are up and running,
https://irkenlabs.com/jamma-expander/mister-installation

Murray

Grand Master
Reaction score
https://irkenlabs.com/jamma-expander/operation
1pstart + right = F12

It's way easier to set the MiSTer up on a desk though, and then move it to a cab once things are up and running,
https://irkenlabs.com/jamma-expander/mister-installation

THanks, i missed that.

But to set it up on a desk i'm going to need a mini usb to regular USB adaptor for my keyboard right? Because i have no other IO boards for mister. It's fine i'll just buy one, just want to make sure that will make the keyboard work and i don't need one of the other IO boards with the full sized USB ports for that. It probably seems dumb but this is the first ime i've touched mister so i'm learning!

Dzhay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You only need hdmi + usb + ethernet to set it up, all of which the DE10 has without the jamma expander. I'm not 100% sure if this is what you're getting at though.

invzim

Champion
Reaction score
THanks, i missed that.

But to set it up on a desk i'm going to need a mini usb to regular USB adaptor for my keyboard right? Because i have no other IO boards for mister. It's fine i'll just buy one, just want to make sure that will make the keyboard work and i don't need one of the other IO boards with the full sized USB ports for that. It probably seems dumb but this is the first ime i've touched mister so i'm learning!
Use the supplied OTG cable for keyboard while setting up the MiSTer.

Murray

Grand Master
Reaction score
Use the supplied OTG cable for keyboard while setting up the MiSTer.
THANKYOU.

I'm slow.

I got in with the button combo anyways, it's updating now but i will switch to KB after it's done.

You only need hdmi + usb + ethernet to set it up, all of which the DE10 has without the jamma expander. I'm not 100% sure if this is what you're getting at though.
I just wanted to plug a keyboard in, but all i have is a DE10. nothing else, the DE10 doesnt have a full sized USB connector for my keyboard though. I didn't realise i can use the supplied OTG cable, just unplug it from the jamma expander.

Derick2k

Immortal
Reaction score
I did my setup as Invzim suggested.

Use LCD monitor via hdmi on the DE10
Network connection
Keyboard with micro USB to OTG cable supplied
Prepped SD card with Mr. Fusion, etc...
Did all the updating and then ini settings, etc...
All worked without a problem, went smooth

So...
I powered the de10 directly with its supplied psu
HDMI out to LCD
Supplied MicroUSB to OTG cable to Keyboard
Prepped SD card to DE10
(all while it was mounted to the Jamma Expander, but you can really prep the DE10 ahead of time on its own, then just mount to the expander and you are good to go)

The one issue I had was:
I tried a cheapy like $4 no-name keyboard and it didn't work with the mister, lol, although it works with other pc/systems. Then I tried one of the better-known brand keyboards and it worked just fine.

Last edited:

Murray

Grand Master
Reaction score
I got it to work without keyboard, but i'm using cabled lan. I think if i had to setup wifi password i don't think i could have done that without keyboard.

So for me.

Make sure 5V was correct, my Namco Exceleena cabs you can't adjust 5v, it was 5.2. This won't work on those cabs because you can't adjust 5v and it kicks the overvolt setting.
Use LCD monitor to boot mister in cab
P1 start and right to bring up menu, goto scripts and update, button 3 on cab selects.
Unplug microsd and put the updateall script on there.
Startup in cab again with LCD atttached and run the updateall script.
Run ini settings script and change settings as per settings on irken labs site.

All of the above is done without a keyboard. It's fairly simple when you work out how to control the menu with the button combos.

Once this is done i'm going to image this microsd and post it for download so people can just write the image and it should be write and it's all done already for you.
This is my first time using mister, i didn't read anything about it at all, so i'm a bit noob.

Last edited:

Derick2k

Immortal
Reaction score
Cool, I was thinking the same thing to upload an image of the preloaded/set up SD card, but Im using 512gb card, not sure how the image will compress, etc..plus I still want to test a few things if I do it :)

Murray

Grand Master
Reaction score
What a f'n great piece of kit. Now i am regretting not getting a second one out of this batch. Being able to look at the oled and see the video mode while the game is runnings is such a nice touch, same as seeing the voltage readout. I want this voltage readout for all my pcb's i have connected to my cabs now.

It feels like the games are running too smooth... you know that first time you see a 60hz video and it looks like its sped up, that's what it feels like using this thing. It's not an issue, just a thing! I've got two lots of identical cabs here, i'll run some side by sides with a few games i've got original hardware tomorrow. Also need to work out how to organise the roms better so i can have a better folder structure

CPS1
CPS2
NEO GEO

etc etc

Have to work out how to drop the voltage on my Namco Exceleenas now. Both are sending 5.2v.

Nice work Invzim, very nice piece of hardware you made!

Aurich

Champion
Reaction score
Intended design goal is that a keyboard should not be needed.
I'm still new to Mister. I'm playing with the release candidate of the Mistercade, and I don't want to compare it too much to your product, I'm not in a position to do so. But I am running a Mister in cabs now. My experience so far is that it's necessary to have that keyboard at times. Not for operational use once things are 'perfect', but for setup.

If you do a revision to your board I'd keep that in mind, I think it is a bit of a shortcoming.

Murray

Grand Master
Reaction score
I'm still new to Mister. I'm playing with the release candidate of the Mistercade, and I don't want to compare it too much to your product, I'm not in a position to do so. But I am running a Mister in cabs now. My experience so far is that it's necessary to have that keyboard at times. Not for operational use once things are 'perfect', but for setup.

If you do a revision to your board I'd keep that in mind, I think it is a bit of a shortcoming.

Well you can, it comes with a cable that you can plug the keyboard into. The cable that connects the jamma expander to the mister, you can just unplug it from the jamma expander and plug a regular USB keyboard into it. I just didn't realise that you could do that. I discovered the controls when i found that out about the usb thing and i was able to setup the whole thing without a keyboard, and now i've done it, i wouldn't use a keyboard in future for setting it up. The jamma edge will still power the mister because it's not using power from that USB to power the unit, it's a separate cable. I guess the only thing that might be tricky if you wanted to use wifi and had to input a wifi password unless there is an on screen keyboard. There might be some extra stuff that needs a keyboard that i don't know about yet!

I just needed

p1 start and RIGHT = brings up the core menu
hold p1 start 3 seconds and release = brings up the main menu
p1 button 3 = select
p1 up down left right = menu controls

Literally enough controls to do everything you need to set it up.

But yes, it technically doesn't have a full sized USB connector physically on the board, but i wouldn't use it now anyways, it's nice to be able to do everything with cab controls. The mister menu design is pretty sweet when you learn it. I just don't read the manual enough, i try to plug it in and work it out. Sometimes it just pays to read the damned manual!

AlxUnderBase

Champion
Reaction score
Fedex romania or internarional or whatever liars . Nobody asked me any documents who can help them to make clearence in customs … anyway , package is now in otopeni airport custom office , lets see how much will take to go out from there . I called today more 2 hours uninterruped from 2:30pm till 4:55pm and nobody answer

Attachments

• 093C576A-60D7-4898-9F38-3AC263C0F4EA.jpeg
    093C576A-60D7-4898-9F38-3AC263C0F4EA.jpeg
    57.7 KB · Views: 13

digitron

Professional
Reaction score
If you connect your keyboard directly into the mister, you won't get any display. Invzim confirmed the expander is powered by the usb port. We'd need to plug in a usb exstension cable to a usb hub then connect that hub back to the mister. If that indeed works, I would probably run the hub out the back of my cab and leave it that way for updates over wifi and keyboard access.

Derick2k

Immortal
Reaction score
Fedex romania or internarional or whatever liars . Nobody asked me any documents who can help them to make clearence in customs … anyway , package is now in otopeni airport custom office , lets see how much will take to go out from there . I called today more 2 hours uninterruped from 2:30pm till 4:55pm and nobody answer
Thats sucks, they probably want to charge you some import tax or something.

Last edited:

Derick2k

Immortal
Reaction score
I dont see the need, but I guess if you really need it you could use a USB hub if you need to have multiple things plugged in.

Murray

Grand Master
Reaction score
If you connect your keyboard directly into the mister, you won't get any display. Invzim confirmed the expander is powered by the usb port. We'd need to plug in a usb exstension cable to a usb hub then connect that hub back to the mister. If that indeed works, I would probably run the hub out the back of my cab and leave it that way for updates over wifi and keyboard access.
Ok but i had an external monitor plugged directly into the de10nano at this stage, so if you do that it's not an issue. If you are trying to do this on your cab screen via JAMMA, then this is an issue.

digitron

Professional
Reaction score
The selling point of the expander (to me) is so that I never have to open the cab to make setting changes to the mister, that and direct_video > rgb. We can still do that, just takes a few extra cables and a powered usb hub (cheap). The sync block feature is also very nice, the components used on this expander are quality, very well made product.

FYI - I use a 3 button Astro CP, just much easier to fly around the menus with a keyboard. :)