What's new
If SyncGuard kicks in, it's always useful to have a look at the video info screen on the Expander, could be it defaults to PAL 50Hz..
In the next firmware SyncGuard will be switchable between 15kHz, 15/25 kHz auto, 25 kHz, 31 kHz, Tri-Sync and off.
Radness, thanks man!

I got my extender all set up in my cab now. Just waiting on my kick harness, but I even have a cat-5 cable running the perimeter of my office and into the back of my Blast.

I'm guessing this is impossible since it's probably a permanent design, but I figured I'd ask anyway:

Is there any way to increase the analog video output level? When I compare the Neo Geo core to a real MV-1B motherboard, the video is slightly darker. Normally this is not a problem since I can just turn the contrast knob up on my arcade monitor to compensate. But I am running this in an old Aero City MS8 where there is no easy contrast knob. And I want to be able to swap back and forth between the Expander and real JAMMA hardware without having to make monitor adjustments every time.
Got an Aero City MS8 myself, and the brightness is good, maybe time for a recap? My MV-1A was actually kind of a reference for what I wanted the output voltage levels to be.
This is MV1A, terminated with 1K:
2021-04-12-MSO5000-MV1A 1K termination.png

This is from SNES 240p test suite, via the Expander:
2021-05-01-MSO5000-SNES color bars.png

Got an Aero City MS8 myself, and the brightness is good, maybe time for a recap? My MV-1A was actually kind of a reference for what I wanted the output voltage levels to be.
This is MV1A, terminated with 1K:
Nah, it was already recapped. The tube is pretty tired though. Fair enough that you benchmarked it against MVS hardware. I'll probably run the Expander in one of my Egrets instead.

Sorry if is a dumb question… guys , any of you tried and used Neo Geo games from console cores folder ? I dont know what to do to use properly the New Astro City control panel sticks and buttons from it . If is any way i can use them , can you guide me please ? Thanks 🙏🏻

FOUND the answer ! Thank you @Scarletspeedstr for your beautiful video ! The trick with buttons from psu helps me to have NEO GEO games working on NAC with Jamma Expanader & Mister !

@HornheaDD ... ideea was i wasnt able to assign buttons but not because jamma expander , because i didn't knew how to do it properly ! mine works 100% too , but i didn't knew how to do it to use the Neo Geo core properly !

Last edited:
Wait, Im not understanding the question. Were you not able to use Neo games on the Expander?

Mine works 100%. You can just assign the buttons if you wish to change them using the OSD.

Ok I have not read through this whole thread, but wouldn’t converting hdmi to rgb be less ideal than rgb direct? Or am I not understanding something.

It's not the usual HDMI video signals, the Direct Video feature uses the HDMI port to output a raw and unprocessed digital audio/video signal from the loaded core, which is converted by a DAC on the device. This method offers same minimal latency as the VGA port on the IO board and even better color depth in some cores. So there's no compromise to this method from what I understand.

So I am getting this issue with multiple Egret II cabinets:

I wonder if this may be caused by the lack of ground pins on the JAMMA connector pins 2 and 28 on the solder side. (Pins B and f on a labeled connector)

@andynumbers double-check that the JAM/CHAM switch is set to JAM, according to this schematic, the coin switch uses 27th position for GND. Not sure about the test switch though..

https://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/images/3/3a/Taito_Egret_2_Schematic.jpg

Did it work at first, then this started happening, and do you have other JAMMA games with input test you can verify against, like CPS2?

I presume there is nothing between the Expander and the two switches?

Last edited:
Edit: Disregard. I was just being an idiot and forgot to put back the MiSTer SD card.

It worked back when I had the original PSUs installed back when I discovered they don't go lower than 5.15v on 120v mains. So they were all swapped out for temporary Happs right now. I have Mean Wells on order but they aren't here yet.

Last edited:
DE10 is working again, I was just being stupid and forgot to put back in the SD card.

I tried using a JAMMA passthrough that ties all of the JAMMA grounds together. I still get the coin switch tripping by itself. The Chamma switch is on JAMMA mode. Switching it to Chamma mode just grounds button 6 as expected.

Fixed it. The Field Ground not being connected was causing the issue. Which is strange because the original power supply did not have a field ground.

Has anyone been able to get Alien Syndrome to work? I've tried setting the controls to it, but it acts really weird. Pressing up on the controller shoots, and then the buttons move the different directions. I've cleared the controls, and done them again, still happens. I've even thought about figuring out which one the GAME wants to be up/shoot/etc, and tried assigning that and it still doesn't change. Up shoots, buttons do directions. Its really weird. Honestly dont know if this is an Expander thing or not, but since its on a cab, I haven't gone into the mister discord to ask since they dont care about the cab part of it.

(btw - I am a jotego patron, so I definitely have the beta stuff in the right place)

Has anyone been able to get Alien Syndrome to work? I've tried setting the controls to it, but it acts really weird. Pressing up on the controller shoots, and then the buttons move the different directions. I've cleared the controls, and done them again, still happens. I've even thought about figuring out which one the GAME wants to be up/shoot/etc, and tried assigning that and it still doesn't change. Up shoots, buttons do directions. Its really weird. Honestly dont know if this is an Expander thing or not, but since its on a cab, I haven't gone into the mister discord to ask since they dont care about the cab part of it.

(btw - I am a jotego patron, so I definitely have the beta stuff in the right place)
to be honest , im having problems too in mapping controls & buttons in many arcade games from that list in the NAC cabinet
So far ive tried the follow (i'm not fan of the very oldes arcade games tbh) :

- Capcom CPS "0" Zero folder : (These 3 games doesn't work to be mapped in any way)

*Bionic Commando
*Commando
*Daimakaimura
** Street Fighter - i don't know because i don't have CPS2 harness on hands

- Irem M62 stuff : set on -> Coin : Mode 2 + rest of mapping controls will do the trick and will working
- CPS1 , CPS1.5 & CPS2 working as they should and i'm very happy with

I will be back with other titles , eventually to edit this post ! Cheers :thumbup:

Last edited:
Hm, I'll check after work to be sure, but Im almost certain I didn't enable gamepad mode. Most of the jotego cores I've tried work flawlessly. Its just Alien Syndrome so far.

Actually - you know what. It's not the expander at all. I checked with a friend who has a different solution (not the MiSTercade or Expander) for his device and he was able to reproduce the issue with Alien Syndrome. This is a MiSTer thing, for sure.

Hey @invzim, Do you know why the number 6 button doesnt work on the Jamma expander connected to the jamma to JVS adaptor?

Attachments

• D475B7F9-2BD6-4A61-891C-3EF39C5FE579.jpeg
    D475B7F9-2BD6-4A61-891C-3EF39C5FE579.jpeg
    210.6 KB · Views: 84
Back