What's new
I did an update and I’m getting a bit of audio noise before the game starts in my Astro. Anyone else getting that?

So I figured out my Genesis sync issue. For some reason the 'STer is trying to play games in PAL mode, lol. So I just changed that and games load fine. BUT - I can't seem to get the directionals to work. Same thing happens with the Master System games. The action buttons work fine, but up/down/left/right do nothing. Im not sure what might be causing this. SNES, PCE, arcade, Neo, etc all others the directionals work.

Im not sure if this would be a MiSTer thing or an Expander thing. Anyone else experience this? Im still trying to figure out the Alien Syndrome issue too lol

Update - the Alien Syndrome thing is known about by Jotego. Looks like he's going to be working on it (ref: July 2 patreon post).

So that's that.

OK, now I have no idea whats going on. All CONSOLES (and by extension, Neo Geo) controls no longer work. I was talking to some people in the MiSTer discord, and they suggested wiping the .map files just in case something I did went wrong (entirely possible). Still didn't work, so I went scorched earth mode and just started from scratch. Redid my MiSTer installation, got my ROMs set up, stuff loads perfectly. But no console controls will work. Action buttons will, but no Up/Down/Left/Right.

I have no idea how this happened. Am I missing something?

As an aside, I have no idea how this happened but it seems Alien Syndrome is working now? WHAT!?

OK, now I have no idea whats going on. All CONSOLES (and by extension, Neo Geo) controls no longer work. I was talking to some people in the MiSTer discord, and they suggested wiping the .map files just in case something I did went wrong (entirely possible). Still didn't work, so I went scorched earth mode and just started from scratch. Redid my MiSTer installation, got my ROMs set up, stuff loads perfectly. But no console controls will work. Action buttons will, but no Up/Down/Left/Right.

I have no idea how this happened. Am I missing something?

As an aside, I have no idea how this happened but it seems Alien Syndrome is working now? WHAT!?

For consoles, are you switching your mister expander controls to console gamepad mode?

https://irkenlabs.com/jamma-expander/operation-gamepad

Are you switching back to keyboard mode for arcade cores?

For consoles, are you switching your mister expander controls to console mode?

https://irkenlabs.com/jamma-expander/operation-gamepad

Are you switching back to keyboard mode for arcade cores?
I guess I should answer "no" to this, because I don't remember fiddling with gamepad mode in the past. Up until this evening, I had everything in sort of "out of the box" settings. Somehow SegaCD games worked just fine, SNES, TG16, even Gameboy/Advance games worked 100% But the sega Genesis and SMS were giving me this controls issue.

So I started from scratch today, and for some reason this started happening. I just tried going to my Expander and trying to go to Gamepad mode, but when I try to save the settings, I get a save fail.

Do you have a SD card in the expander?
Hey lets pretend I didnt stupidly take out the SD card from the expander and forget to put it back in... so the save issue is solved lol #derp

No idea what is happening with the consoles. I didnt mess with any gamepad modes or anything last time. And the MiSTer was a brand new image just like this time. I didnt have anything left over from a previous build or anything.

So, I'm completely confused on this controls issue. I ran update_all as I usually do on a weekly basis, and I thought "why hell not, let me check to see if the PCEngine core lets me use controls."

And it did. PCE works great. So I got excited, I checked Neo Geo, SNES, Genesis/CD, MasterSystem, etc - and those controls don't work. Buttons do, but directions do not. To be clear other than update_all, I have changed nothing. No gamepad mode, nothing.

What am I doing wrong that I can't get these consoles to work - except for PCE?

I've encountered an input issue where I will sometimes get stuck directional inputs when playing the Dodonpachi core. Unknown if it affects other cores, if it is a problem with the expander or the MiSTer itself. It happens in keyboard mode. Have not tested gamepad mode. (Keyboard mode is what we are "supposed" to be using for arcade cores anyway)

Either way, it's quite an annoying issue. I've already lost a handful of games because my ship kept moving left or right after letting go of the stick and got me killed.

Well the thing with mine is that all arcade games work just fine. Sure I had an issue with Alien Syndrome, but that was a core issue, not MiSTer or Expander, and as far as I know its fixed.

But with consoles, like the SNES/Genesis, etc those directionals will not work. But randomly yesterday, PCEngine decided to work, so I got some Blazing Lazers and Bloody Wolf time in.

For consoles, gamepad mode is probably the way to go - or just avoid them altogether :)

For consoles, gamepad mode is probably the way to go - or just avoid them altogether :)
Thats where I'm confused on set up. I know I have to set up controls for each console. For me thats like 6, so its not a huge to-do for me. But do I have to manually swap between keyboard/gamepad mode if if I want to hop between Consoles and arcades?

Hello, I’m late to the party. Im using in my mini cute from hurst. Mean well RT-125A powersupply. I adjust 5V to 5.00 but the A B buttons don’t work. Is the high 12V the issue? Thanks

Attachments

• E231F449-DADF-41A1-8972-5BFEADC00C8F.jpeg
    E231F449-DADF-41A1-8972-5BFEADC00C8F.jpeg
    154.3 KB · Views: 80
Hello, I’m late to the party. Im using in my mini cute from hurst. Mean well RT-125A powersupply. I adjust 5V to 5.00 but the A B buttons don’t work. Is the high 12V the issue? Thanks

If nothing happens when you press the A/B buttons its an input voltage issue I found. So I would guess the high 12V is halting the expander.

Thanks Zim, I'm gonna have to read through that a couple times and attempt to work with it maybe tonite.

Question - lets say DD is an idiot and screws something up, does that screw up the MiSTer image, or something on the Expander? If I run the risk of borking my Expander, then shit - consoles can suck it and I can just hope for the Neo MRAs that are hopefully coming soon.

Back