What's new
I gave it a quick spin just then and was able to trigger it again in Donpachi, with the USER-LOCK switch enabled. I made sure it was enabled by trying to access the menu as well.

Still the up direction too, very weird.

I added an official MiSTer USB hub and right/left angle HDMI cable, stuffing most of the wires under the DE10-nano. I also played a quick round of 1941 and I didn't notice any issues with stuck inputs.

IMG_2669.jpg

I gave it a quick spin just then and was able to trigger it again in Donpachi, with the USER-LOCK switch enabled. I made sure it was enabled by trying to access the menu as well.

Still the up direction too, very weird.
I trust jotegos implementations about 10x more than nullobjects (mame implentations) - but progear kind of raised my eyebrows a bit. I'll look into some kind of automated testing of this to see if I can uncover anything/reproduce it.

As for next revision (don't ask when, zero stock of main IC at the moment) - USB hub confirmed. I'll try to align the HDMI connectors so a 'bridge board' is possible, but may not be offered by me. When it comes to bridge-PCB for USB, I'm very skeptical of it in case of failures/breaking/QA etc. With HDMI, you can always use a cable, not so much with the USB OTG connection.

I've shrunk it down a bit too, current doodle

1664198553104.png

Sooner or later, chips will be available again so more units can be produced - in the meantime I’m tinkering with an updated revision.

I guess a USB hub could be useful, any other essential features I should plan for? Focus is still for it to be an arcade solution for people with arcade cabinets..
Sooner than later :) I got hold of some IC's and will do a small run with the ones I received, hope to have them available before Christmas.

Main difference is smaller PCB, USB hub with 4 ports, and better cables. I haven't received cables yet, but they should be better than before

1664622349030.png

1664622396388.png

Like some people reported, I also experienced the input issue on progear (at least I really noticed it on this one), very often, at some specific point in the stage 1, I get up that is blocked.
Because it looked like it was happening at specific spots, I thought this was related to the core itself. But before coming here and reading the last few messages, it's the first time I read some people facing that very same issue. I did not hear of read anything from other users about this. So maybe this is something with the expander?

I'm not an electrics expert, but it sounds like the pull-up resistor for the UP line might not be strong enough to register as OFF all the time?
I forgot to mention that I had a 74LS245 in-line with my joystick inputs as I was testing some input splitting (duplicating) for comparing PCB to MiSTer.
That might be why I had no issue with stuck inputs. If you have a multimeter, maybe check the voltage measured between GND and UP?

I have not been able to reproduce yet. I doubt it's related to pull-up strength, but IF you encounter a stuck input - please immediately navigate to the input test on the OLED, that will reveal if it's a physical input issue - or if state is lost somewhere else (expander, usb on MCU, usb on linux, core).

I seem to of changed a setting where my Mister boots straight in to a game on the arcade core after power on, weird thing is I tried another SD card I had and the same happens… have I changed something on the Jamma expander?

I want to get the menu back up on start up, any ideas.. Thanks 😊

Think I need to start again, didn’t really understand text editing although I did get the text in notepad.

Not that easy as I cannot get to that menu with the script, just back to the core.

Not that easy as I cannot get to that menu with the script, just back to the core.
I think if you want to do it while it is hooked up to a cab then go right with the analog stick at the top menu and you should get into the more setup style menu

I cant get jamma expander booting in Gamepad mode, i updated to the last version and inserted a microsd i jamma expander, select gamepad mode and select in menu save pressing A.
the firmware is 2022-04-29
buy in the sd a can just see a file named jexpand.ini
what im doing wrong?

this is what it says the jexpand.ini
[keyboard]
M_VOLDOWN=KEY_VOLUMEDOWN

I cant get jamma expander booting in Gamepad mode, i updated to the last version and inserted a microsd i jamma expander, select gamepad mode and select in menu save pressing A.
the firmware is 2022-04-29
buy in the sd a can just see a file named jexpand.ini
what im doing wrong?

this is what it says the jexpand.ini
[keyboard]
M_VOLDOWN=KEY_VOLUMEDOWN
Most likely your sd card is formattet with exFat (where reading works, but write bugs out for some reason). Try formatting it with another fat type, I should add that to the FAQ for the expander, it's the same for all the stuff I make unfortunately.

Most likely your sd card is formattet with exFat (where reading works, but write bugs out for some reason). Try formatting it with another fat type, I should add that to the FAQ for the expander, it's the same for all the stuff I make unfortunately.
NP mate, yes is formated in exFat i will try to reformat in fat 32 intead

Back