What's new

-Ace-

Professional
Reaction score
OK, so I was going through some old boards and found (2) Knights of the Round pcb's w/o C boards. Back in the day, I de-suicided them as rom 23 has been blanked and rewritten. I received my battery backed B-21's in the mail today so I thought I could throw one of them on this board. Anyway, plugged it in and only had sound. So, my question is would I need to go back and re burn rom 23 to it's original code in order to use this battery backed B-21? To further test, I threw on a B-21 from A SF2 Champ and the board worked fine. Thanks-

OK, tried burning rom 23 from the mame romset and that made no difference- same results. I must be missing something. . . .

Yeah, I was thinking more about this, and what I am trying to do isn't going to work as once the original game loses power from the battery, the keys are lost. Is this where that CPS1 Infinikey or whatever it is would come into play for my situation?
Which keys are present in the battery powered B-21?
How do I know?

How do I know?
Either you know from which game it comes from or you read them back with an Arduino (I think that's possible but I might be mistaken with the Sega FD1094 modules).

If the keys aren't those for KOD then it's normal you get a black screen both with patched (defaut B21) or OG ROMs (expecting KOD keys).

There is a device that allows you to re-insert keys, so long as you have it battery backed. Someone did this for me with KOTR and KOD with the encrypted ROMs, in order to get the games working correctly (KOD has the Hydra tail glitch with the unencrypted set etc...)

As far as I know the keys can't be read back. Would be cool if they could, I'd have liked to know what keys were on the lydz CPS1.5 C boards

As far as I know the keys can't be read back. Would be cool if they could, I'd have liked to know what keys were on the lydz CPS1.5 C boards
Yes my bad, was definitely mistaken.
You can write a piece of code to detect them. It's not the same as reading the keys but at least you'll know the game they were programmed for.

Hopefully they weren’t all C&D or Punishers :)

OK, so I followed ArcadeHackers instructions on how to revert my Knights of the Round back to factory state as shown in the video Caius linked to above. Seeing this was the first time setting up and using an Arduino Uno, I don't know what this means (see pic). Anyone with experience with this unit know what this means?
image0(2).jpeg

Can you show the code in question please. Starting from line 74.

Did you set the board type etc correctly within Arduino?

You might need an older version of the arduino software. I had some issues and an older version fixed it for me. I am not near my computer to check the version number though.

Can you show the code in question please. Starting from line 74.

Did you set the board type etc correctly within Arduino?
Yes, I set the board type and the correct port. Are you talking the lines of code above the screenshot I took when you execute the process? I didn't notice that the lines were numbered to know where 74 is, but I'll check again. I'll have to set it up again and run it. The Arduino acted as if it was doing the process like it shows in Arcade Hackers video, but upon booting the pcb, it's still suicided.

I successfully compiled it on the latest version on Arduino.

Maybe check your USB cable, try a different USB port.

Yes, I set the board type and the correct port. Are you talking the lines of code above the screenshot I took when you execute the process? I didn't notice that the lines were numbered to know where 74 is, but I'll check again. I'll have to set it up again and run it. The Arduino acted as if it was doing the process like it shows in Arcade Hackers video, but upon booting the pcb, it's still suicided.
In the Arduino IDE if you got to File -> Preferences you can turn on Line Numbers.

That "warning" you're seeing is completely normal for that code. a lot of people wont see it because compiler warnings are disabled by default.

In programming a "warning" or "notice" means that you're doing something you shouldn't but it should still work.

in this case line 74 is the end of the Game List array and the compiler doesn't like the variable type chosen but is able to make it work anyway, but it displays a warning for every game title listed in the array.

if you want to hide this you can go into preferences and set compiler warnings to "none". This will still show "errors" that need to be fixed, but will hide anything inconsequential like this.

----
So if you're desuiciding:
1. Make sure that the new battery is good
2. Make sure that any wire mods/trace cuts/jumps from the desuicide process have been undone
3. Make sure that you're using the right ROM set
4. Make sure that you're flashing the right desuicide code.

More than once when desuiciding CPS2 I've chosen the wrong region ROMs for the security codes
More than once when desuiciding CPS1 I've flashed the C-Board correctly but my issue was actually with using the wrong ROMs or having the ROMs in the wrong locations... Double check all of that stuff

Also check you have the wires connected in the right order. 2 of them are right next to each other but the other 2 connections are reversed. Can't tell you how many times that's caught me out and a desuicide has failed.

Back