What's new
It has been said that the LPF labels are backwards when using a switch. This means that the LPF in ON when the switch indicates OFF and viceversa. Does this apply to the SYNC switch as well? Are we sending a TTL SYNC when the switch indicates 75 ohm SYNC? Please someone confirm. I don't want to damage my SCART equipment. Thanks.
Does the minigun have a switch for TTL Sync? The ones I had didn't. But they were not the latest version.

Does the minigun have a switch for TTL Sync? The ones I had didn't. But they were not the latest version.
No, the sync just bypass THS and that's it.
You can still mod your Minigun, mine for example has a sync stripper.

Unfortunately Frank didn't release the final version of Minigun.

No, the sync just bypass THS and that's it.
You can still mod your Minigun, mine for example has a sync stripper.

Unfortunately Frank didn't release the final version of Minigun.
Eh? I'm certain sync is attenuated and buffered through the THS.

the 9 pin mini din version has a switch (if you install a switch, or you can use a basic jumper) for TTL sync or 75 ohm sync. you need to use a MD2/Genesis2 cable for these intead of an 8 pin mini din cable.

I have (only a few of) these boards avail if you wish me to send you one for a small fee. just PM me.
thanks

the 9 pin mini din version has a switch (if you install a switch, or you can use a basic jumper) for TTL sync or 75 ohm sync. you need to use a MD2/Genesis2 cable for these intead of an 8 pin mini din cable.

I have (only a few of) these boards avail if you wish me to send you one for a small fee. just PM me.
thanks

Yes, mine is a Genesis 9 pin version and it has a switch. So it means that the 75 Ohm/TTL labels are correct if you use jumpers but an installed switch would be pointing to the wrong SYCN option? Just like the LPF switch does?

If the same switch is used, yes.

You can double check with a multimeter.

Yes, mine is a Genesis 9 pin version and it has a switch. So it means that the 75 Ohm/TTL labels are correct if you use jumpers but an installed switch would be pointing to the wrong SYCN option? Just like the LPF switch does?
Which version are you talking about? Could you please show a picture?

The LPF switch in the BOM is a weird one, its a reverse throw slider, so when you slide it left it bridges right - never seen anything like it.

If you just use a plain jumper then the silkscreen is correct for the LPF

Regarding sync
- The Minigun Supergun 2.5 9-pin version can switch between 75 and TTL sync
- Minigun Supergun 2.5 8 8-pin version only outputs 75 sync.

The sync switch on the 2.5 9-pin is a jumper in the BOM, and if you use a jumper then the silkscreen is correct.

I'll dig some out in the next few days and post pictures

The Advance 2.5 Sega Genesis 9 DIN version has two slide switches, the kind that are always inverted due to their mechanical construction. See the photos below, my minigun there is set up for LPF = ON and SYNC = TTL which is really counterintuitive. It is definitely better to have jumpers there to avoid confusion.

WhatsApp Image 2022-05-11 at 10.49.13 AM (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-05-11 at 10.49.13 AM.jpeg

The Advance 2.5 Sega Genesis 9 DIN version has two slide switches, the kind that are always inverted due to their mechanical construction. See the photos below, my minigun there is set up for LPF = ON and SYNC = TTL which is really counterintuitive. It is definitely better to have jumpers there to avoid confusion.

Who mod this?

Interesting... switch looks right, mine has a jumper but no reason the switch would work inversely.
igm9aa5qnvw81.jpeg

Interesting... switch looks right, mine has a jumper but no reason the switch would work inversely.

All slide switches are like that. The one on your minigun surely as well. You can confirm that with a multimeter.

All slide switches are like that. The one on your minigun surely as well. You can confirm that with a multimeter.
Realizing my picture got shrunk down to small to make out, but I have a jumper on the the sync and a slide on the LPF. Both seem to be correct on mine.

Realizing my picture got shrunk down to small to make out, but I have a jumper on the the sync and a slide on the LPF. Both seem to be correct on mine.

That is what I thought about the LPF slide switch on mine. I was puzzled by the fact my games looked better when the slide was on OFF. I later confirmed that meant the opposite, my LPF was on ON according to my multimeter. It does not matter here, having the LPF on or off is harmless, you just slide it to whatever look best. One must be careful with the SYNC output if you have a switch though. I am thinking on installing jumpers on mine to avoid mistakes.

Who mod this?

No one. This is the latest original design from this thread's first page (it's the 9 pin DIN version).

That is what I thought about the LPF slide switch on mine. I was puzzled by the fact my games looked better when the slide was on OFF. I later confirmed that meant the opposite, my LPF was on ON according to my multimeter. It does not matter here, having the LPF on or off is harmless, you just slide it to whatever look best. One must be careful with the SYNC output if you have a switch though. I am thinking on installing jumpers on mine to avoid mistakes.

No one. This is the latest original design from this thread's first page (it's the 9 pin DIN version).
Got it. DIN8 is my version. I've never seen the DIN9. Thanks.

Confirmed with a multi-meter. My switch slides in the correct direction, shown here in the off position. (shrug) I'll grant that my slider switch is "fancier" than most. But I also don't really notice a difference in the video quality in either position. So I may be missing something or it's just my setup (OSSC to original Vewlix "C" LCD). But for sure, the two pins on the side of the switch that the slider is on are the two that are shorted.
Untitled 4.jpg

The filter is a waste of time really, the average human eye can't see the difference between settings. If you want to save money just install a jumper on that and leave it off. Inflation is really starting to hit and building these is getting more expensive by the day

Confirmed with a multi-meter. My switch slides in the correct direction, shown here in the off position. (shrug) I'll grant that my slider switch is "fancier" than most. But I also don't really notice a difference in the video quality in either position. So I may be missing something or it's just my setup (OSSC to original Vewlix "C" LCD). But for sure, the two pins on the side of the switch that the slider is on are the two that are shorted.

I envy you... I wish I had two of those unreversed slide switches. I don't suppose you know or can see a part number?

The filter is a waste of time really, the average human eye can't see the difference between settings. If you want to save money just install a jumper on that and leave it off. Inflation is really starting to hit and building these is getting more expensive by the day

I see your point. At least on my set up I can see a real difference, ON look better.

I envy you... I wish I had two of those unreversed slide switches. I don't suppose you know or can see a part number?
I belive this is the correct part:
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/nidec-copal-electronics/CL-SA-12C-02/4010211

I see your point. At least on my set up I can see a real difference, ON look better.
Viewing directly on an RGB CRT I can hardly see a difference. But I'm told it helps with some video processors that digitize the analog signal. OSSC for one.

Back