What's new
No, the board for grid / sega rally 3 connects via USB and uses a different protocol.

six speed is six individual positions
Just for the sake of posterity, the 6 position shifter on WMMT is comprised of 4 inputs, with some of the gears being a combo of 2 simultaneous inputs. It's not a terribly complex mechanism, but it would be difficult to replicate.
At any rate, my limited testing of the 2-position shifter in place of 6-position in the MEGA JVS firmware made me think it works quite well. Probably one of the few people to have tested it otherwise, and way more than I have, is @rocket if he cares to share any feedback.
yes it is perfect. 3dx+ had an issue on the screen where you input your name. winteriscoming added a neutral before first gear to stop the curser from going crazy so the steering wheel could be used to dial in the name input. I loved how it worked. honestly, if you do wmmt1-3dx+ use a crazy taxi or jambo safari steering wheel the spring back is better then loose outrun 2 or initial d 1-3 steering wheels which are just limp.

Last edited:
I just came across this and it looks amazing. Not sure if someone thought of this yet, but would it be possible to use this for a "consolized" setup? I'm thinking that, for example, if I have something like a SEGA Ringedge and I can take it to a friend's place or a local. If that's possible, put me down for one!

If you want to order one, please PM.

And yes, I tried this MultiJVS with many Ringedge games and played them with NeoGeo Joystick and works a treat.

This little gem came in the mail today. It was fairly easy to drop into my cab. It worked very well playing Ringedge 2 with the cab’s control panel and my gamepad via db15 and @undamned usb adapter.

Now, what do you recommend to power this JVS IO board outside of a cab for a supergun-style setup?

Attachments

• 64BDC551-1983-4D00-8D03-FE6198B7E09D.jpeg
    64BDC551-1983-4D00-8D03-FE6198B7E09D.jpeg
    293 KB · Views: 181
Now, what do you recommend to power this JVS IO board outside of a cab for a supergun-style setup?
@Mitsurugi-w is making some nice power adapters. Also, powering from USB should be fine if you just plan to use the JVS functionality and dont plan to power any LEDS,etc. then you need to plug the 12V.

For a Supergun-like setup with a SEGA Ringedge 2, I was thinking of using the DC out from it to power the I/O. Would that work? It would be nice to have for taking it to locals once we're all free to do stuff again.

Hello,
Just discovered this thread and read through it. Just to make sure I understand:

This JVS I/O will allow me to replace the namco I/O board that is in my Maximum Tune 3DX+ cabinet, and I should be able to play other JVS driving games such as Crazy Taxi, Initial D 1-3, etc. as well as replace the existing I/O altogether.

Also, it could stand in for even newer JVS I/O boards and I could play more modern driving games such as initial D 4-8 and even Maximum Tune 4 and 5 if I have the original arcade hardware? Nevermind the video output to a CRT, but at least the controls would work. Would force feedback work?

Some questions though, would a PC be able to connect to this I/O board as well? Long term, some of my boards are going to die or need repair, could I use a PC emulating the game? Will it be detected as a USB controller device by the PC? Or, could I run PC driving games in general?

Thanks for your work in creating this device!

This JVS I/O will allow me to replace the namco I/O board that is in my Maximum Tune 3DX+ cabinet, and I should be able to play other JVS driving games such as Crazy Taxi, Initial D 1-3, etc. as well as replace the existing I/O altogether.
I think so, but @winteriscoming can tell you better.

Also, it could stand in for even newer JVS I/O boards and I could play more modern driving games such as initial D 4-8 and even Maximum Tune 4 and 5 if I have the original arcade hardware?
Yes, that's the main point.

Would force feedback work?
Forcefeedback goes through another board. Nothing to do with JVS.

Some questions though, would a PC be able to connect to this I/O board as well? Long term, some of my boards are going to die or need repair, could I use a PC emulating the game? Will it be detected as a USB controller device by the PC? Or, could I run PC driving games in general?
No, this uses JVS, you can't connect it to a PC and please don't try to connect the JVS to the USB as you may fry something. There is a microUSB connector that is used for firmware update. That you you can connect to a PC for updates only, not to play games.

This JVS I/O will allow me to replace the namco I/O board that is in my Maximum Tune 3DX+ cabinet
This is a little complicated. This current version of the Multi JVS is not pin compatible with the Namco board, so you would have to make an adapter. The Sega standard, which this board uses, does not have all of the same inputs as the Namco, so you can't even wire it 1-to-1. Do NOT plug the 60 pin connector from the Namco board into this one. It is not compatible. Where it gets complicated is you could wire the extra inputs (P1 buttons 9 and 10, IIRC, which go to mode change and view change buttons) to other inputs on the Sega connector, and then manage mappings for them in the profile editor. There are relatively few digital inputs actually used on these driving cabs, so it's doable, but requires some work in understanding where you wired your controls, and how to get your mapping profile to do what you want.

No, this uses JVS, you can't connect it to a PC and please don't try to connect the JVS to the USB as you may fry something. There is a microUSB slot that is used for firmware update. That you you can connect to a PC for updates only, not to play games.
Let's just say it's an unsupported feature at this time. I had messed around with HID controls over the programming port, but it requires flashing the chip that controls the normal programming communication. It's been years since I did it. I would recommend against it, but the current firmware supports it under the right conditions.

This JVS I/O will allow me to replace the namco I/O board that is in my Maximum Tune 3DX+ cabinet
This is a little complicated. This current version of the Multi JVS is not pin compatible with the Namco board, so you would have to make an adapter. The Sega standard, which this board uses, does not have all of the same inputs as the Namco, so you can't even wire it 1-to-1. Do NOT plug the 60 pin connector from the Namco board into this one. It is not compatible. Where it gets complicated is you could wire the extra inputs (P1 buttons 9 and 10, IIRC, which go to mode change and view change buttons) to other inputs on the Sega connector, and then manage mappings for them in the profile editor. There are relatively few digital inputs actually used on these driving cabs, so it's doable, but requires some work in understanding where you wired your controls, and how to get your mapping profile to do what you want.
What cabinet and controls are you using for your Multi JVS and what hardware/software do you plan to run?

What would be the ideal base cab to use for this multi JVS? Something like Jambo Safari or Crazy Taxi? Initial D cab with Crazy Taxi Wheel? Newer version Initial D with LCD?

What cabinet and controls are you using for your Multi JVS and what hardware/software do you plan to run?
Note that I have a couple of personal revisions of a different board called MEGA JVS that is not available for sale, and the Multi JVS is a separate design by @Darksoft. I first designed my version to work in a OR2SP cab using the Sega Type 1 standard. The Multi JVS uses a Sega standard based on the Sega Type 1 I/O, so any cab that uses that natively would be the ideal starting point for a driving cab. However, as @rocket noted above, different games that use force-feedback use different standards so starting with something like OR2 or ID3 and playing something like WMMT, you lose ffb and you have a limp wheel. He recommends Jambo Safari or Crazy Taxi is a more universal driving cabinet since they have spring centering wheels. However, those 2 games lack ffb altogether.

I have both OR2SP and WMMT cabs. If I could only have 1, I'd probably opt for WMMT since I like that game best, and I like having force feedback. Given no other options, I'd do the work to adapt the controls for that to the Multi JVS, if I wanted to boot other games. Having said that, the OR2 cab is a bit more compatible with a few of the other games. The ffb in OR2 works with ID1-3 and the motor is compatible with the ffb board from ID4-8. The control wiring from OR2 is 1 to 1 compatible with ID1-3 (and mostly 4-8 with some differences in lamp outputs, IIRC) and Jambo Safari. The ID1-3 cab has a larger turn radius on the steering wheel. I haven't personally used one for other games so I can't speak to how it affects gameplay on the other driving games with smaller turn radius. The wheel turn radius on OR2 is pretty spot on for what's used if WMMT. Even though it's a limp steering wheel, I've enjoyed both Jambo Safari and Crazy Taxi in my OR2 cab.

Back