What's new
Got this almost ready. I built the board (Thanks @Derick2k for the board), I got the Pi, installed the Pi Image to the card (Thanks @BladeZX !) plugged it all in to power and the Pi has the WiFi Portal and the LCD on the PCB is showing the games. All of the buttons seem to work so that's good! I have the wiring ready and I need to solder on the reset wire then I can test the system with the PCB and Dongle. However, I am still unclear on powering the Pi. For testing, can I power the ODE with the Molex and just plug the Pi into the wall for now? If so, once that works, @mathewbeall how did you finally get power to the Pi?

Finally, just for others that are following and want to buy the whole BOM at once, there are some missing parts from the BOM on post #22 that were needed for me.
1) Need at least 16gb MicroSD for the Pi
2) You can't plug the Pi directly to the PCB (parts bump) so make sure to get an angled 2x20 pin M to F adapter or a ribbon cable. I bought https://www.adafruit.com/product/4823 from Adafruit, but you can find the adapter at Digiparts and maybe this cable too.
3) A MicroUSB cable for Power for the Pi (however you get that power)
4) A MicroUSB to USB A Cable for going from ODE to the Pi
5) A MicroUSB to USB A Cable for going from the Dongle to the Pi (It may come with the Dongle, I can't remember)

Thanks to everyone working on this. It has been a lot of fun so far!

Pics or it didnt happen :D JK

You can take power directly from the underside of the MB at the power harness connector.
This is on my 256 MB or you can do it from the top as well.
image44.jpg

I was tracing out the underneath for power:

image45.jpg

Simplest would probably be to tap these 2 points as others have done.

On the powering the Pi from the wall adapter, Im not 100%, you might run into a ground issue with the 2 separate power supplys, etc.. and blow a fuse on your MB or something. Matt had a similar issue happen.

Let us know how it goes, Im still fiddling with my setup

Last edited:
Got it. I will do that when I take the board out for the reset wire. As for Pics, I was waiting until I had it running. It was my first time soldering a project to a PCB like that so I was just excited it seemed to work first try. I will get some pics up for sure.

Still waiting on a few of the bits and pieces to get this running but is anyone in Oz interested in the PCB? I have a spare unpopulated one and my practice populated one (works with the pi but I'm a soldering neophyte so it's a little rough).

Got this almost ready. I built the board (Thanks @Derick2k for the board), I got the Pi, installed the Pi Image to the card (Thanks @BladeZX !) plugged it all in to power and the Pi has the WiFi Portal and the LCD on the PCB is showing the games. All of the buttons seem to work so that's good! I have the wiring ready and I need to solder on the reset wire then I can test the system with the PCB and Dongle. However, I am still unclear on powering the Pi. For testing, can I power the ODE with the Molex and just plug the Pi into the wall for now? If so, once that works, @mathewbeall how did you finally get power to the Pi?

Finally, just for others that are following and want to buy the whole BOM at once, there are some missing parts from the BOM on post #22 that were needed for me.
1) Need at least 16gb MicroSD for the Pi
2) You can't plug the Pi directly to the PCB (parts bump) so make sure to get an angled 2x20 pin M to F adapter or a ribbon cable. I bought https://www.adafruit.com/product/4823 from Adafruit, but you can find the adapter at Digiparts and maybe this cable too.
3) A MicroUSB cable for Power for the Pi (however you get that power)
4) A MicroUSB to USB A Cable for going from ODE to the Pi
5) A MicroUSB to USB A Cable for going from the Dongle to the Pi (It may come with the Dongle, I can't remember)

Thanks to everyone working on this. It has been a lot of fun so far!

Hey @Dreamstate - I ended up tapping into 5v/gnd on the bottom of the board where it comes in via the connector - and pulled that into a microusb cable that I plugged into the power connector on the Rpi. I also don't plug the molex into the ODE adapter - its powered from the Rpi as well via usb.

Where I ran into an issue (for some reason) was having the ODE plugged into the molex and the Rpi plugged into the ODE as well (powered by the molex). I ended up tripping a fuse somewhere, which is why I ended up taking 5v from the bottom of the board. According to @brizzo this shouldn't be an issue, but it was for me on two of my 256's.

Matt

Where I ran into an issue (for some reason) was having the ODE plugged into the molex and the Rpi plugged into the ODE as well (powered by the molex). I ended up tripping a fuse somewhere, which is why I ended up taking 5v from the bottom of the board. According to @brizzo this shouldn't be an issue, but it was for me on two of my 256's.
It shoulnt have been an issue, if I had a trashy 256 units I would try to replicate what happened to yours, but mine are NOS kits.

Did you test the fuses and the bottom of the board? Theres like a ton of them, like serious overkill, but I guess that's why your units are still working :)

It shoulnt have been an issue, if I had a trashy 256 units I would try to replicate what happened to yours, but mine are NOS kits.

Did you test the fuses and the bottom of the board? Theres like a ton of them, like serious overkill, but I guess that's why your units are still working :)
I looked - but it was hard to tell, and since it was easy to pull 5v from the bottom, I just did that. Everything else works fine on the unit - it just doesn't have 5v going through the molex after it broke (and as you said - it's probably a fuse).

Matt

still available? i have a rasp2 will it work?

I have 4 selectors all built and ready to ship out. I have 2 purple and 2 black. All tested and working!

Send me a PM if interested.

UPDATE - none left.

Matt

Last edited:
Awesome work everyone, I was lucky enough to purchase a multi dongle, just waiting to pull the trigger on a 256. Can’t remember if it was here or another tread that had a list of items to purchase to get everything running?

Who is the guy selling the plates that sits behind the selector pub again or does anyone have an extra one to sell me?

I’ve been outta the arcade game for little bit but getting back to normal now and this is very cool. Does anyone have any of these premade for sale?

Who is the guy selling the plates that sits behind the selector pub again or does anyone have an extra one to sell me?

Howdy - do you mean the 3d printed parts? I can print some for you - drop me a PM.

I’ve been outta the arcade game for little bit but getting back to normal now and this is very cool. Does anyone have any of these premade for sale?

Do you mean from the bottom up (namco 2x6, etc) , or you just need some a few of the parts?

I have a 256, a multi dongle and a pi. I think it’s just the multi selector that I would need. Unless I missed something reading through this

Back