What's new
I'm going to guess the answer is "nope" but doesn't hurt to ask. Is it possible to decrease the time it takes for jvs to sync? I've run into an issue with Neo Geo and the Unibios 4.0 Pick 'n Mix menu replacement feature - http://unibios.free.fr/picknmix.html

To engage it you have to hold start at boot up however the jvs sync takes too long and the bios does not register the button press. I can force a crash on a mv-1c which can somewhat get me the menu but in a very broken state.

I'm going to guess the answer is "nope" but doesn't hurt to ask. Is it possible to decrease the time it takes for jvs to sync? I've run into an issue with Neo Geo and the Unibios 4.0 Pick 'n Mix menu replacement feature - http://unibios.free.fr/picknmix.html

To engage it you have to hold start at boot up however the jvs sync takes too long and the bios does not register the button press. I can force a crash on a mv-1c which can somewhat get me the menu but in a very broken state.
It can be reduced, but as always there’s a trade off. JVS spec says to give io boards 1 second to power up, which is probably too slow for the picnmix you mention.

It can be reduced, but as always there’s a trade off. JVS spec says to give io boards 1 second to power up, which is probably too slow for the picnmix you mention.
Is it a variable that I can modify on my end or does it require rebuilding the firmware to change the timeout?

Is it a variable that I can modify on my end or does it require rebuilding the firmware to change the timeout?
No it's not - it's part of the 'core' timings. I haven't really used unibios - any other functions where you hold a button down on power-up that doesn't require a 161-in-1 (which I don't have..)?

In other news, got the vewlix IO today and there is indeed hope :)
2018-09-03 vewlix.JPG

Still doing a bit of research on it, but the fix to get above is really easy and something anyone can do. I'll post a bit more when I have the facts.

In other news, got the vewlix IO today and there is indeed hope :)
Still doing a bit of research on it, but the fix to get above is really easy and something anyone can do. I'll post a bit more when I have the facts.
Woohoo! Let me know if you need me to test anything for you

Anybody thought about input lag benchmark testing various JVS IO boards? Seems pretty easy to get an automated precision timer test going for closing an input button circuit to seeing the output on the JAMMA connector.

On a related note, given the size of JVS packets, baud rates, and typical input configs, what's the theoretical max refresh rate that could be used? I assume most JVS IO boards have some kind of hard-coded max packet and/or polling rate like 200hz or something?

No it's not - it's part of the 'core' timings. I haven't really used unibios - any other functions where you hold a button down on power-up that doesn't require a 161-in-1 (which I don't have..)?
You hold A+B+C to get into unibios or B+C+D to get into MVS menu. A+B+C+D to get to memory manager. None of them work unless you soft reset from a game.

Mailed all rev 1.4 customers with info on fix, and made a short video demonstrating how to perform the mod:

If you have the full-debug firmware installed, please update to 2018-08-20t2 version as the full debug will impact performance.

The vewlix io has a couple of 100ohm resistors in series with the JVS datalines, I have no idea why they did this or what they were hoping to accomplish - and I've seen other RS485 design that does this.

Big thanks to @Derick2k for sending me a board to investigate.

@invzim Thanks for figuring it out. Does the fix affect the jammafier working with other boards after this fix?

I cant do the fix yet, but looking forward to it. I am redoing my home office so everything is packed away. Gonna be another 2 weeks before I start getting stuff back.

I wonder if those resistors on the Taito io are also the reason why it doesnt work with certain boards/systems??

@invzim Thanks for figuring it out. Does the fix affect the jammafier working with other boards after this fix?

I wonder if those resistors on the Taito io are also the reason why it doesnt work with certain boards/systems??
I've tested the mod with other IO boards I have at hand and all looking good (sega, capcom, taito egret3) and in theory it should be good all around. The resistor removed is to make the signals a little 'prettier', but not all JVS systems use it so it shouldn't have a negative impact.
It worked for me. Thank you @invzim and @Derick2k

I will setup up OSSC and test a little more this evening
Great stuff! Thanks for testing quickly, one thing is on the bench - but you never really know until it's tested live.

I wonder if someone can recreate the Sega Tower of Power....
LXVfnsN.jpg

So far this is my longest chain:
R5Nn3ds.jpg

button input > JVS > JAMMAFIER > FastIO > X3 > Niko's JVS translation
BYZGdEg.jpg

Thanks to Niko's fabulous work this probably actually runs faster than a legitimate TGM3 setup since it patches the internal JVS routine to end quicker in game.

I think most issues are resolved now - still waiting for little feedback from @Blackfish on test/service and audio on the Noir cabinets. Unless something major comes up I'll do another small batch (max 15) soon.
Some upcoming firmware features:
1 - Input/button test on OLED
2 - MVS remap, i.e. button 4,1,2,3 = 1,2,3,4
3 - Option to have button 4&5 on just kick connector

I'll have to implement some kind of ini file system to make feature 2&3 persistent across reboots, as it would be a PITA to set these each time the cabinet is power cycled.

I think most issues are resolved now - still waiting for little feedback from @Blackfish on test/service and audio on the Noir cabinets. Unless something major comes up I'll do another small batch (max 15) soon.
Yeah, Sorry. I have been tied up with work and haven't had anytime to do anymore testing. I will hopefully get some time this evening and then I'll report back with my findings.

Mailed all rev 1.4 customers with info on fix, and made a short video demonstrating how to perform the mod:

If you have the full-debug firmware installed, please update to 2018-08-20t2 version as the full debug will impact performance.

The vewlix io has a couple of 100ohm resistors in series with the JVS datalines, I have no idea why they did this or what they were hoping to accomplish - and I've seen other RS485 design that does this.

Big thanks to @Derick2k for sending me a board to investigate.
Was that on the older K91X1097C Taito JVS IO boards or the new K9101262B variant that jassin000 discovered?

More info:
Taito Vewlix JVS IO

Was that on the older K91X1097C Taito JVS IO boards or the new K9101262B variant that jassin000 discovered?
Older one: "K91X1097B"

And it looks like all these IOs are essentially the same. I would love to see if the same resistors on the JVS data lines are being used in the latest iteration that @jassin000 has/had.

Some upcoming firmware features:
1 - Input/button test on OLED
2 - MVS remap, i.e. button 4,1,2,3 = 1,2,3,4
3 - Option to have button 4&5 on just kick connector

I'll have to implement some kind of ini file system to make feature 2&3 persistent across reboots, as it would be a PITA to set these each time the cabinet is power cycled.
man you made my day with the mvs remap

Back