What's new
I believe I have the export cards. They don’t work in the Japanese cabs. Saving progress in general would be great with RF tags. Is this just theory or has this been done on the actual arcade (not emulated).

Also, since mine does t have the server, is there a simple way to make 1v1 to work ?

You can save games to Mifare 4k NFC cards using a raspberry pi and ACR122U NFC reader, I have working code (thanks to a very generous benefactor) tested with ID8 running on a Ringedge board that needs more testing and maybe sticking a frontend on but I think would be usable in an arcade, you'd just need to come up with a way to wire the readers in neatly.

Dude that would be incredibly, could simply print a personal design on the cards to make them look professional. I’m a decent fabricator, I’m sure I could print or craft something that looks good. How far away you think this is till it’s available ?

If you can get the pi, card reader hardware and are happy to help with testing that would really speed things along. I'll get a demo up on YouTube over the weekend, been meaning to far ages but have had crap phone issues, new phone as of last week so no excuse now, hold fire until you see the video to make sure it does what you expect it to!

The cards are easy enough to purchase in bulk, and you could make a design for the arcade, or take a sticker printer with a logo or something for the top with the name and a picture for people who want a card, maybe some way to build loyalty to your arcade?
These are the ones I purchased and they work great and there's a boatload of them in a pack so I've got a lifetime supply... :P

NTAG215 13.56 MHZ NFC Tags RFID TagMo DIY

https://www.ebay.com/itm/143652345689?var=442633950303

And this is the reader I used:

ACR122U-A9 NFC Card Reader Writer USB 13.56Mhz RFID

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313843799830

Unfortunately NTAG 215 cards don't have enough capacity for ID8, you need the Mifare 4k cards. The saves are 2048 bytes and although they are called 4k you don't get 4k of storage, you lose 25% of the space to key management 😕

Unfortunately NTAG 215 cards don't have enough capacity for ID8, you need the Mifare 4k cards. The saves are 2048 bytes and although they are called 4k you don't get 4k of storage, you lose 25% of the space to key management 😕
Sorry My Mistake, I haven't dealt with ID8, Just the Naomi 1-2 sorry!

If you can get the pi, card reader hardware and are happy to help with testing that would really speed things along. I'll get a demo up on YouTube over the weekend, been meaning to far ages but have had crap phone issues, new phone as of last week so no excuse now, hold fire until you see the video to make sure it does what you expect it to!
Ready and waiting

I have someone "prepping a ringedge" for me to work as a server, is there a simpler way to get these two machines to link up ?

Just watched it, it is much farther along than I realized! Incredible. I have a few questions.

I’m wondering if there is a card reader that gets inserted rather than placed on top, just to have it more secured when people are driving.

Will the process be completely automated? Or will key strokes need to be done during the process ? Wondering if an operator will have to manually do something or if eventually the user will just be able play as if nothing is different.

You mentioned printing, how would it print? From the id8 printer or from a third party reader/printer ?

Off topic, but is there any idea if I can link two arcades together for 1v1 using a pi?

Incredible work. Totally ready to help.

Off topic, but is there any idea if I can link two arcades together for 1v1 using a pi?
Let's get this in another thread if you don't mind. I would be interested in learning more about it. It seems crazy to have to have an entire Ringedge devoted to being a server. Seems like it should be possible to replicate it with another device. I unfortunately ended up with some broken REs and only have 2 working ones to work with so never have gotten to the point of linking up for 1 on 1.

You mentioned printing, how would it print? From the id8 printer or from a third party reader/printer ?
This is done virtually and visible on a server via a web browser.

Let's get this in another thread if you don't mind. I would be interested in learning more about it. It seems crazy to have to have an entire Ringedge devoted to being a server. Seems like it should be possible to replicate it with another device. I unfortunately ended up with some broken REs and only have 2 working ones to work with so never have gotten to the point of linking up for 1 on 1.

This is done virtually and visible on a server via a web browser.
I get it now, gotcha! Should I just buy a Pi and Reader and we continue from there?

I am also very interested in the nfc card readers for my id5 i have talked to you before and just saw your youtube video and looks great!!! Also for the other guy talking about linking games together i am in the same boat as you and would like to know how to link these babys without having to buy that spendy sever which are impossible to find.

That would just be an sd card you can save the data on. I'm not sure on which version cause I've got a model 3b but not sure if you need a zero or 4 to run the software to emulate it.

Raspberry Pi 3A or 3B or 3B+ or 4B and microSD card, 8GB is fine
USB to serial adaptor - I use the TrendNet TU-S9 but anything using the Prolific PL230x chipset is fine
Female to Female 9 pin serial cable
ACR122U card reader
Mifare 4k NFC cards - any generic ones should work fine

If you want to power the Pi with 5v from the DC Out connector on the Ringedge you can make up a Molex to USB connector with these:

14 Way Molex Mini-fit Jr. 5557 Series Female White
Model: FF55-39012145-H

Molex, Mini-Fit 5556, Female, Contact,16awg
Model: FA51-39000077-T

Back