What's new

UltraSean

Student
Reaction score
Is there any sort of way to add HDMI support to the Naomi itself, or maybe the I/O? I’ve been using the CPS2 HDMI mod to record and stream, and it is great. I’d like to do the same with the Naomi, but when I run the VGA directly to the BENQ, the image comes out on the monitor, but the El gato on the monitor out (from the Benq) doesn’t pick up any signal.

It’s in the works

D35EB264-C362-42B1-A0FB-7B2B5A1AF0D5.jpeg

Adding a new flex cable to my Xmas wish list...

I think its wasteful and pointless to add HDMI to all these different systems.
When you can use just one OSSC for ALL your systems.

It’s certainly not pointless.

Not everyone wants to deal with upscalers, or likes using SCART.

And if you have to bring a console to a party, or to a friend’s place, dealing with an upscaler is a hassle.

I’d love to omit upscalers from the equation, but we’re unfortunately handcuffed to them for a majority of systems.

Last edited:
They're certainly not cost effective compared to using a scaler, and that's put me off. You buy the scaler once, with these you buy each one of these for a fair bit of money for every console, and either put in the labor yourself or pay someone else to do the labor.

You buy the scaler once, with these you buy each one of these for a fair bit of money for every console, and either put in the labor yourself or pay someone else to do the labor.
That is 100% my point! It's wasteful to buy what is essentially the same device over and over again when you only need one.

I'll admit the clarity of the CPS2 HDMI mod is nothing short of fantastic (even my precious OSSC setup has some visible noise in comparison).
But the awe is seriously downgraded when I need to spend 100$ or more plus installation efforts on each one of my devices.

Also at least in the case of the CPS2 HDMI device it only supports 1920x1080 in 5x mode (so the top and bottom of the screen is cropped).
OSSC supports 1600x1200 at 5x (so nothing is cropped)... If you don't own a 4k TV you likely don't care or have even noticed, but I both own and care about this feature.

You buy the scaler once, with these you buy each one of these for a fair bit of money for every console, and either put in the labor yourself or pay someone else to do the labor.
That is 100% my point! It's wasteful to buy what is essentially the same device over and over again when you only need one.
I'll admit the clarity of the CPS2 HDMI mod is nothing short of fantastic (even my precious OSSC setup has some visible noise in comparison).
But the awe is seriously downgraded when I need to spend 100$ or more plus installation efforts on each one of my devices.

Also at least in the case of the CPS2 HDMI device it only supports 1920x1080 in 5x mode (so the top and bottom of the screen is cropped).
OSSC supports 1600x1200 at 5x (so nothing is cropped)... If you don't own a 4k TV you likely don't care or have even noticed, but I both own and care about this feature.
I hear you. I love all these mods, but for arcade stuff, RGB to my Framemeister is good enough for me as opposed to modding in HDMI outs.

Now for Dreamcast and the 64, the HDMI mods are amazing

Honestly I really liked the @Hatsune Mike approach that was the NeoVGA. Digital capture of the video signal pre-DAC and output as either 240p or 480p. Then pass that to your external upscaler.
These HDMI mods go the extra step, but we’re already seeing standards shift (1080p to 2K, 4K etc).

Honestly I really liked the @Hatsune Mike approach that was the NeoVGA. Digital capture of the video signal pre-DAC and output as either 240p or 480p. Then pass that to your external upscaler.
These HDMI mods go the extra step, but we’re already seeing standards shift (1080p to 2K, 4K etc).
Agree with this entire thing!
Yes we should be trying to get the cleanest pre-amp source video we can from each console... But that's is where it should stop (no extra step).
We should then pass all this high quality low resolution video to a single scaler solution for processing into 1080p/4k/etc.

As you correctly pointed out... We are already seeing shifts in standards.
What happens in another 10 years when everyone is using 8k panels and we have 8k scalers?
You are going to go back and re-mod all these HDMI systems again? You'd have to if you wanted to stay current.

Again its just the wrong approach to mod systems in this way/manor.
I understand the positives, and yes I'm not saying they don't exists when clearly they do... But the negatives outweigh the positives.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone who owns a Vewlix (or multiple) shouldn't be commenting on cost wastefulness... just saying. ;)
That's a weird line to draw in the sand.

If we move it over a few inches we can go with "Anyone who owns video games they could emulate instead shouldn't comment on cost wastefulness" :P

Ok so then the question I have is then, WHAT EXACTLY DO I NEED TO BE ABLE TO STREAM/RECORD FROM MY JAMMA CONNECTION? I researched ossc previously, but I couldn’t find anything concrete.

I for one have been waiting for this and can't wait for the HDMI mod for the Naomi 1/2!

Anyone who owns a Vewlix (or multiple) shouldn't be commenting on cost wastefulness... just saying. ;)
That's a weird line to draw in the sand.
If we move it over a few inches we can go with "Anyone who owns video games they could emulate instead shouldn't comment on cost wastefulness" :P
I'm just saying, if you can afford to own multiple Vewlix's, your argument on spending lots of money is pretty much moot.

The advantage of these HDMI mods is they're self-contained, plug in and forget.

If you're just working on your home setup, and you've got everything on a big ol' SCART switch or whatever it's not as compelling maybe.

But if you're bringing a Naomi setup to your local it's really handy to be able to just plug it in and have games ready to go. No extra boxes to worry about, less cables, less setup and config.

That's a weird line to draw in the sand.If we move it over a few inches we can go with "Anyone who owns video games they could emulate instead shouldn't comment on cost wastefulness" :P
I'm just saying, if you can afford to own multiple Vewlix's, your argument on spending lots of money is pretty much moot.
If you don't spend $150+ per console on HDMI mods you could buy a Vewlix...

The advantage of these HDMI mods is they're self-contained, plug in and forget.

If you're just working on your home setup, and you've got everything on a big ol' SCART switch or whatever it's not as compelling maybe.

But if you're bringing a Naomi setup to your local it's really handy to be able to just plug it in and have games ready to go. No extra boxes to worry about, less cables, less setup and config.
^This, absolutely.

For me, I gotta have the best of both worlds. My original consoles are SCART connected and planted at home.

I have a secondary set of consoles, for example a SuperNT or MegaSG for portability.

I mentioned this in another thread, but the RAD2X cables are a good compromise for me to be able to pick-up and go with some of my OG consoles. HDMI mods are just a more extreme use-case for what i need...

If you don't spend $150+ per console on HDMI mods you could buy a Vewlix... Hmm.
You make a good point! Shit...where are my priorities!?

These mods are definitely superior to the external scaler options that are out there in almost every area except cost. Aside from certain feature set shortcomings like the CPS2 Digital AV out's 1080p only line5x output, the pure digital nature of purpose built HDMI mods will inevitably produce a nicer picture on a modern display than any scaler solution. This is why I have HDMI mods in my Gamecube, Wii, and Dreamcast, and will also have an HDMI mod in my PS2 as soon as they are available. If there is a source for the pure digital video information available on the motherboard of a console, a well implemented HDMI mod will be an improvement. With scalers like the OSSC there is a ton of fine adjustment required to get an image than approaches the quality of a native digital to digital solution.

The issue of cost is a personal one, and thus I understand that these solutions may not be for everyone. It certainly helps that most of these are open source projects I can build and install myself.

returning to actual original issue, it is known fact - Dreamcast's VGA, and it looks like NAOMI too, not compatible with certain monitors or TVs.
is it known why exactly this happen and how to fix this problem ? (not using OSSC and similar devices)

Back