What's new
Have you run the Enable OpenJVS Hat script from the menu?

Have you run the Enable OpenJVS Hat script from the menu?

I enabled OpenJVS in the options menu, under Setup -> manage netdimms I selected the netdimm as OpenJVS device. But now I see I missed the enable HAT part under setup! Just upgraded to 6.1-92 as well, just to make sure I'm completely up-to-date. I could play DOA2 with my Xbox One controller, but now the single boot up to the OSM doesn't seem to be working anymore, comes up with error 31... I haven't changed anything in the meantime, just upgraded... I also cannot send the OSM manually anymore it seems.

I've come across this with another user, there is a missing record in the netdimm csv file, you can manually correct it by connecting to the pi and browsing to /var/www/html/csv/dimms.csv - make sure there is a column called cab at the end - you can add this by just typing ,cab after the last entry so it reads: name,ipaddress,type,opentarget,defaultgame,openjvs,openffb,cab

Then go into the netdimm setup screen and choose horizontal or vertical from the drop down and update the entry

I was wondering, I have one of these: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002571752569.html, which is an 8.8" wide TFT display. It's 1920x480 with an HDMI interface. It's intended to display stats on your PC.
Since the Raspberry's HDMI port is unused in WiPi Netbooter, what if we enabled the X server (no desktop environments needed, just plain X) and made a little program to display the game logos (which are already there) on it, like a marquee? I could read the game data from the CSV, find out what's currently loaded, and display the correct image. What do you think?

Mine is using this 3D-printed case, which actually makes it look the part (as a marquee): https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4958265

What do you think?

Last edited:
I've come across this with another user, there is a missing record in the netdimm csv file, you can manually correct it by connecting to the pi and browsing to /var/www/html/csv/dimms.csv - make sure there is a column called cab at the end - you can add this by just typing ,cab after the last entry so it reads: name,ipaddress,type,opentarget,defaultgame,openjvs,openffb,cab

Then go into the netdimm setup screen and choose horizontal or vertical from the drop down and update the entry
Thanks for the quick reply, appreciate it. Just got the chance to take a look at it, and found this in the dimms.csv file:

name,ipaddress,type,opentarget,defaultgame,openjvs,openffb
Naomi,10.0.0.3,Sega Naomi,on,menu,horizontal
Did as you said, updated it with a additional column called "cab", updated the entry in the setup, but it just booted to a screen "CHECKING NETWORK".
Deleted the entry through the GUI and readded it, but issue remains.

I figured I needed some additional values, as there are 8 column headers and only 6 values:
name,ipaddress,type,opentarget,defaultgame,openjvs,openffb,cab
Naomi,10.0.0.3,Sega Naomi,on,menu,horizontal

This did the trick:
name,ipaddress,type,opentarget,defaultgame,openjvs,openffb,cab
Naomi,10.0.0.3,Sega Naomi,on,menu,generic,none,horizontal

Took a few tries to get it to boot like this as it kept overriding the "defaultgame" for some reason, but now it boots properly to the OSM, and I have controls via my Xbox One controller :)

EDIT: @chunksin the HotD2 ROM used, is it from this thread? https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/games-fixed-to-work-with-dimm.1073/ Looking for a way to boot it to 15khz, but seems like it's not supported.

Last edited:
Sorry about that issue with the CSV data, I'll resolve it properly in the next release

I was wondering, I have one of these: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002571752569.html, which is an 8.8" wide TFT display. It's 1920x480 with an HDMI interface. It's intended to display stats on your PC.
Since the Raspberry's HDMI port is unused in WiPi Netbooter, what if we enabled the X server (no desktop environments needed, just plain X) and made a little program to display the game logos (which are already there) on it, like a marquee? I could read the game data from the CSV, find out what's currently loaded, and display the correct image. What do you think?

Mine is using this 3D-printed case, which actually makes it look the part (as a marquee): https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4958265

What do you think?
It's a great idea and go for it, I've got no issues with people adapting the image for whatever they like. X11 and openbox are installed and available, set up for the 3.5 inch touchscreen, the config files are in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d and /etc/xdg/openbox

Hi @chunksin - i am going to use your image to JUST use it as the card emulator for my WMMT2 cabinet. So it won't need to load the image. What is the best way to do this? Set it up in server mode, with NFC and Card mode set to auto? and then select the WMMT ROM (even though its not going to be served up)?

Thanks!

Matt

Actually - since it all works "as-is" - I think I will just convert the Chihiro over to boot via the WiPi as well - just need to fish a ethernet cable through the cabinet. I have been using a CF card boot, and the original card reader, but the original card reader is now not functioning 100% - so time to switch to WiPi!

After getting this setup last night and today - I noticed that *sometimes*, even though the card is set up to "auto" - the card_reader.py script isn't running upon bootup.

@chunksin - have you ever seen this? I would guess maybe its a timing issue or something?

After this week of running it - we will see how often that occurs. (I have it power up at 7am automatically, and shut off at 6pm), so will have 5 sets of data this week.

Matt

I've seen it on F-Zero AX, that can need a reboot before it starts properly, could be down to caps or something maybe? Not played a lot of WMMT so hard to say on that one

Bit of useful info, if you have an old piforcetools setup on a non wifi enabled Pi like a B+ you can add a USB wifi adaptor using the Mediatek RT5370 chipset and WiPi will work fine. Good option if you can't get hold of a Pi 3 or 4 for a reasonable price.

I'm getting a black screen booting Monkey Ball using the 6.1 image from the first post.

Tried using a naomi 1 and a naomi 2 boards. Both are using the standard stock european bios.

Does Monkey Ball need a Japanese region bios? Usually when the region is wrong there is "error 02" but this game is just a blank screen.

I have the Monkey Ball panel hooked up too so the IO should be fine.

I would connect it to the wifi network and update to the latest 6.1.92 version and then try again.

Is it only Monkey Ball that's doing this? MB doesn't need a Japan region bios, I've played mine on US. I've never had a black screen booting via netdimm, only time I've had black screens is when I use a CF to boot

Ran the updater to 6.1.92 and unfortunately monkeyball still doesn't boot for me. After loading and rebooting with the naomi logo it's a black screen. Test button does nothing either once it's at this blank screen

Any other game I tried boots fine. Even atomiswave games. One or two give errors understandably e.g. for region (sf zero 3) or controlls (airline pilots) but everything else looks fine.

Checked 5v 3.3v and 12v under load and all are spot on.

I'm on firmware 4.02. Interestingly I tried updating to 4.03 via the built-in updater app but that failed - stuck in 0%. Thankfully no brick.

I'm baffled by this one. Anyone with a eur bios able to test it?

OK it's a faulty netdimm. Found two more games that don't boot.

Mvc2 - gets to the black screen with white writing "NOW LOADING" then goes to fully black screen. Other capcom games like power stone 2, spawn and cannon spoke boot fine.

Metal Slug 6 - black screen with intermittent flashing white text "LOADING". Other atomiswave games like dolphin blue and KOF Neo Wave boot fine.

;(

Anyone in EU or UK with a spare netdimm for sale?

You could try swapping out the memory in the netdimm or removing a stick (if you have 512M)

Hi Kuze, yes I tried that. Used 1x stick first in slot 1 then swapped the with the other stick into slot 1. Same problem. I guess both sticks could be bad but the test menu runs a fairly comprehensive memory test and passes. I might see can I buy a new ram stick on ebay.

Just thinking as I type this that possibly memory slot 1 itself is bad and perhaps I'll try a single stick in slot 2 if it supports running from just slot 2.

I also wrote the new mutibios eprom for naomi2 and set dip 2 3 4 off for Japan mode. No luck with monkey ball again, but also Street Fighter Zero 3 (japan only) fails to boot too so that's another one to the bad list for this netdimm.

Also wrote chunksins image to a new sd card.

Very peculiar issue the fact that most games boot but some don't. Has to be a bad netdimm. They have really shot up in price on ebay. Paid €100 for mine a few years ago, ebay seller in Portugal now looking for €400 with delivery! Some scummy sellers are even selling them with a pi and I assume Chunksins image for €700+.

Have the banana panel hooked up to the cab ready to go teasing us all here since we can't play it :D

Back