What's new

TobyRieper

Student
Reaction score
Hey folks, hope you can help me with my Outrun 2 SP Cabs. We were sent the wrong game for our Cabs so looking at booting outrun 2 via compact flash cards.

I have read alot about netbooting and zero pic chips.
I have 4 x Dip 18 pic chips ready to burn with my TL866 programmer.

2 chihiros are Netdimm version 4.0 and the other 2 that are 1.15.

I have 4 x 1gb CF cards and a startech IDE controller. I also have one IDE compact flash reader that came with a chihiro (had normal outrun 2 on it )
Also we have 2 official Sega CF readers (previously had Initial D3 on them)

What would be the best way to get all 4 cabs running outrun 2?
I don't want to netboot as they are in an arcade and we have so many failed GD ROM drives so I thought CF would be the way to go. I have the 512mb Outrun SP.Bin file but no loader file.

If anyone could give me any advice that would be much appreciated :)
*I have read up on these forums how to burn zero chips and loading games on a CF card via ATAID.zip*

Last edited:
I guess no one can help. I do have good news however, I couldn't get Naomi CF tool to burn the cards properly. The process seemed to go well until it finished writing the card and crashed my PC (Windows 7) so loaded up Outrun 2 SP, that worked fine for 10 mins then the dreaded error 26 reared it ugly head.

I figured it was something to do with the image/CF card so I used the fantastic ggcfi by @rtw
Worked first time no errors, perfect.

If anyone could help with updating my netdimms to 4.0 that would be fantastic. A guide for dummies with steps I can follow. I have a PC, Ethernet cable, switch and router and can make a crossover cable if needed.

Glad that gcfi worked for you :D

If you could be so kind to post pictures of your units you might get some more replies.

I am not familiar with Chihiro updating but I believe you need to put them into netboot mode, then use the transfergame program and send the image across. So initially you should try to get them to answer to ping.

Thanks @'rtw" it is indeed a powerful little program.

Here are some screens of the 3 chihiros that need their firmware updating:
If someone could outline some steps for me that would be much appreciated :)

Thanks,

Attachments

• IMG_20201007_152643.jpg
    IMG_20201007_152643.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20201007_152920.jpg
    IMG_20201007_152920.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20201007_153104.jpg
    IMG_20201007_153104.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 31
Latest firmware can be found here: CHIHIRO TYPE 3: New Firmware !

There are many threads explaining people's experience with this, but basically you have to change the dipswitches to put the chihiro in Netboot mode and send the firmware file (unpacked) which is a bin file to the chihiro as if it was a regular game, then you should just follow the instructions shown on the screen.

Thank you @Darksoft for the confirmation. I was worried my firmware version was too low accept firmware via netboot.
I presume I use transfer.exe?
I don't have a crossover cable but have a router and switch. (I can make a crossover cable needs be)

I don't have a crossover cable but have a router and switch. (I can make a crossover cable needs be)
Use a regular router and be sure to adjust the IP addresses. Your PC will have an address given by the DHCP and you will have to use a similar one on the Chihiro. If that doesnt work, a Cross-over cable between your PC and your Chihiro would be the best.

Thanks a million @Darksoft Saves me sending the boards off.
During the middle of a game O had a problem with the second Chihiro with ' Media Malfunctioning during gameplay. I'll try and reburn the pic chip again and the CF flashcard.
Looking forward to getting 4 up and running :)

During the middle of a game O had a problem with the second Chihiro with ' Media Malfunctioning during gameplay. I'll try and reburn the pic chip again and the CF flashcard.
Looking forward to getting 4 up and running
That could be because your CF is not properly written or because you have the wrong keychip. There is one for NetBoot and another for CF.

Yes I've been using the ABC.BIN. Confirmed all PIC chips on the one Chihiro. So far I've only managed to get one Flash card working (an old one from Giz10p. Other cards just reset the cab after a while and throw up a media malfunction error. It's not the pic chips or the machine. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

I Use @rtw ATAID and GCFI tool with correct command line parameters to save the ABC.BIN file and flash the CF card with the extracted security info etc. Before I flash the card I use HDDGuru to do a low level format, re write the security sector using the -W parameter of GCFI then slow format with windows 7 FAT.
What allocation size do you recommend and FAT16 or 32?

I sure hope you can help @Darksoft as I'm tearing my beard out.

So far I've only managed to get one Flash card working (an old one from Giz10p. Other cards just reset the cab after a while and throw up a media malfunction error.
That's what happens when you use an old Firmware. Upgrade to the latest one. Also make sure that you got the right ID for your CF, sometimes you need to give it reversed.

Reversed, ok. Will upgrade to the latest firmware on all 5 chihiros. Thanks so much for your help :) I will keep you updated.

You do not need to reverse the sector from ATAID !

There is no such thing as low-level format of a CF card, you can erase the sectors but you cannot get any lower than that.

Just format the CF cards in Windows as FAT-16 and use the security sector as volume id ...

What kind of CF cards do you have ? I use 512 MB Transcend.

I have 2 SanDisks and 1 Jessops 1 Kingston from AndyGeezer Giz10p. They are all 1gb cards. :) Andy's card is the only one that works at the mo.

Cool I've been doing them FAT 16. Ohh so name the volume of cards the security sector? Could that be it I wonder?
Thanks for your assistance @rtw I will format the card using FAT16 with a cluster size of the default which I think it's 16kb

The security sector as volume name is only a simple method of keeping track of it, it has no other effect.

After the card is formatted as FAT16 you should never need to format it again.

I found many CF that didn't work. But they would not boot right from the beggining. The issue that you have with one CF reseting after some time that looks like you got an old Firmware.

Thanks @Darksoft I will use the latest firmware that has been posted on this forum. Hopefully Friday will be a good day.

I found many CF that didn't work. But they would not boot right from the beggining. The issue that you have with one CF reseting after some time that looks like you got an old Firmware.
Hi, I'm back at the arcade again today. Ready to flash these firmwares, I did read in the firmware updated thread that you can't use the command line tool GCFI and can just copy and paste the ABC.BIN and GAME.BIN to the flash card. It mentioned I need to edit some hex in the ABC.BIN file? Could you @Darksoft or @rtw shed some light on this..
I can ping the Chihiro3 from my pc no problems and it is in netboot mode (changed the jumper and used a netboot 0 pic) thanks guys in advance. :)

Back