What's new
This is slightly off topic, but only a bit.

We could probably stand to be a little nicer to each other here. Like, not immediately jump down the throat of a fellow hobbiest for the most minor of infractions.

It actually sucks that @RetroRGB and @cruzlink2 have been made to feel unwelcome here for instance, because both of them have contributed a literal fuckton to the hobby. If you don't want to be their buddy over some slight or whatever that's cool, but Bob keeps a ton of people informed about a lot of stuff that would otherwise be very hard to keep up with, and Cruz has fixed more retro gear than plenty of people here have even touched.

Either of them would be welcome in my arcade in they were in town. The hobby is better for both of them being around, and it would be cool if they were here more in my mind, and not feel like they were unwelcome for stupid reasons.

And, at least in my view, and with what they just said, @notsonic clearly was just trying to be helpful. If you don't automatically just assume the worst. I don't use Facebook for instance, so I had no idea Yaton was actively posting there still.

Just saying, maybe we could all (and I'm guily at times too of being a dick, not excusing myself) stand to cut each other just a little bit of slack and help each other out more. We'd all benefit.

Off my soap box now.
"Assume positive intent" is the phrase that was beaten into my head in my IT Service desk days. 😅

I have already filed a case with PayPal and they won’t let me open a new one on the same transaction. I may call them though. I’d love to hear if anyone else has done the same and what the results are/were.

I’ve had horrible experience trying to call PayPal. Def interested to hear how it goes
I’ll keep you in the loop. I doubt they’ll do much; but if others here start making claims, maybe they’ll reconsider.

Is it possible to do a chargeback on paypal F&F through your bank (assuming you didn't pay with paypal balance)? I would consider that if talking to PP gets you nowhere. I remember reading something about how there is or was this ethos at Paypal to have almost intentionally hostile customer service.

Is it possible to do a chargeback on paypal F&F through your bank (assuming you didn't pay with paypal balance)? I would consider that if talking to PP gets you nowhere. I remember reading something about how there is or was this ethos at Paypal to have almost intentionally hostile customer service.
That's a good point, maybe I can try that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. It might be well over any limit though since it was in January.
My main concern would be getting my PayPal account banned. That would be a bigger pain in my ass than this whole situation, haha.

Edit: Contacted my credit union -- no go. Womp womp.

Last edited:
I bought an Astro City from Yaton. The deal was $1900 total (including shipping) for one that was in good condition, with a tube that didn't have any burn-in and two six button controls.

When it arrived, I saw it had two 4-button controls, so I already knew he got it wrong. I carefully wheeled it out of the palette and heard a clank - After opening the back, I realized he never bolted the chassis to the CRT frame and it was flopping around.

I waited to power it on until Jose and Artemio arrived...this was back on August 25th when everyone was visiting. We inspected the whole thing and found the yoke connectors were broken. We tried to get it working and only got an image in the center of the screen. We put it back together and I ordered some proper yoke connectors and a chassis cap kit.

Jose came by this week, did the full recap and fixed the yoke connectors - No change: https://twitter.com/RetroRGB/status/1577425368528859136

We also tried putting the CRT in TATE mode to see if it would fit and it didn't - The frame hit the back of the cab, so it was probably the wrong frame. My guess is Yaton never powered it on - He just slapped a CRT, frame and chassis into a random Astro City and shipped it over.

I spoke to PayPal and they said they'd start an investigation against the account I sent my money to (gouqinghua0314@sina.com), but since he insisted on using friends and family, there isn't much they could do.

BUT

If enough people complain to PayPal, they'll definitely treat it differently than just one complaint...ESPECIALLY considering the combined total dollar amount from all the people he screwed over. Also, if the payment included a credit card, there's some hope. Luckily, 2/3 of the PayPal payment came off my credit card, so there's a small chance I'll get something back, but most likely not as much as it'll cost to figure out how to properly repair this.

So, if you care enough to try to get your money back from any of his scams, start compiling all the different PayPal accounts he uses, report them all and let them know a LOT of people are getting screwed over. I know a lot of people here hate me and that's fine...but maybe you can put that aside temporarily and help us all try to get our money back? My damage is tiny compared to what he did to other people I know, but I'll still help any way I can out of principal.
Ask for a replacement chassis on their FB page. I had the same issue with one of the cabs they gave me. Red pot for front porch just did not work. could not find problem. They sent replacement chassis. Would not buy from them again - too many issues. Another option is to buy a chassis from This store: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004125631640.html
I have purchased a chassis from them and it had no issues for one of my cabs.
Your issue is almost certainly a chassis one, nothing to do with yoke.
Note with tate mode for many cabinets the monitor only fits one direction - CCW (astro City). Older cabs the mounting studs often don't align well when you rotate monitors due to frame being a little warped. Line up a couple of studs then use a bit of force to line the others up and seat them into the bushing

Not sure where the issues with RetroRGB/Bob stem from (maybe from former members who are now inactive or got banned?), but I would maintain that whatever issues people have with him or his content can be... taken elsewhere. A-P isn't the place for it. I for one am happy to have him around and welcome him into the community. Let's leave whatever drama happened in the past and move forward. This is a feedback thread for Yaton - let's keep the train on the rails.

Regarding Yaton, he still has quite a few unresolved issues with members here, myself included. I got tired of him ghosting me, being unresponsive, and not delivering the replacement chassis he promised me, so I just gave up and charged him back. I don't have the time nor the patience to play PM/email tag with him. I haven't gotten a single update in well over a month. Totally unacceptable for someone running a for-profit business.

IMO, he should stay banned until he resolves outstanding issues with members; if it's possible to revoke his posting privileges but allow him to continue to respond to existing PMs (i.e. prevent him from starting or responding to new PMs), that'd be cool. Yaton's more recent behavior isn't much different than KC, and KC earned himself an indefinite ban, so I'm not sure why we'd make an exception for Yaton in this case. Just because he's responsive to some people on other sites and/or has been delivering orders doesn't excuse the fact that he's left tons of people here flailing in the wind, wondering what happened to their stuff, their money, or both.

Nah, lots of people like Bob, there's just a small vocal group that has issues with the NY crew for whatever reason. It's petty nonsense that really doesn't belong here imo.

Bob and Jose are cool with me, that's for sure!
Wait what beef? We’re just usually chillin and doing our thing. Kinda silly to be hating lol. Anyways I need to file a complaint on PayPal as well and explain the situation to them.

I must say that I have receiverd all the goods from James, the comunicaton not was always perfect but I have received some parts that are simply impossible to find and was able to complete 3 x Astro city wich were without front panel and lots of parts missing too.
Yaton was a precious resource for me.

○k. I just can't look your order. my pp dead. so now i clear. i will resend a Toei 252s to you this week .thanks james
On 5th September you said me here send a new chassis;
On 29th September you talked about refund by mail;
Nothing today…

But you were online on 14th October here.

All of it seems to be really fun for you, you come here to admire your work or something like that?

Finally got around fixing the chassis for @RetroRGB yaton Astro. Original issue was not horizontal size control and foldover on the right side. Played it safe and changed out u450 the AN5501, the pots on the remote board, and Q508 2SD1944. The pads on Q508 were terrible, one fell off and two of them were hanging by a thread. I patched that up in addition to all the other work and finally got this chassis fully working.

Attachments

• IMG_20221024_143546.jpg
    IMG_20221024_143546.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20221024_144627.jpg
    IMG_20221024_144627.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_20221024_144859.jpg
    IMG_20221024_144859.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_20221024_145802.jpg
    IMG_20221024_145802.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_20221024_155056.jpg
    IMG_20221024_155056.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_20221024_175613.jpg
    IMG_20221024_175613.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 79
Finally got around fixing the chassis for @RetroRGB yaton Astro. Original issue was not horizontal size control and foldover on the right side. Played it safe and changed out u450 the AN5501, the pots on the remote board, and Q508 2SD1944. The pads on Q508 were terrible, one fell off and two of them were hanging by a thread. I patched that up in addition to all the other work and finally got this chassis fully working.
Thanks for following up. I’ve been wondering how this went. I’m glad to hear he’s got a working cab!

Anyone know what's a good way to contact him if you don't facebook? No response to e-mails regarding an order I placed on the website. Interested in hearing from people who have spoken to him recently how you managed it.

Maybe WeChat Jamesyaoplus
Anyone know what's a good way to contact him if you don't facebook? No response to e-mails regarding an order I placed on the website. Interested in hearing from people who have spoken to him recently how you managed it.

I’m definitely interested in reaching out to him by some other means to see if he responds, because we’re still getting reports he’s doing business with people like usual. He obviously is going out of his way to not fix things

Back