What's new
Thank you @djsheep. This is exactly what I was looking to see happen. 6 official games + hacks/etc for this platform isn't much but it's all still worth exploring as opposed to keeping it running constantly on a single game at all times. I consider this entire new functionality as a worthwhile bonus for existing CPS3 owners and pretty much mandatory for anyone considering setting up a new CPS3 system from scratch.

@Darksoft: is this setup still going to require the CD for security or SCSI2SD addon?

is this setup still going to require the CD for security or SCSI2SD addon?
That will depend entirely on which games you load onto your SIMMs. if you load up "No CD" versions then you will not need the CD, if you load the CD versions then you WILL need the CD.

Was the price ever revealed? And estimated month of release?

Was the price ever revealed?
I think the estimation was around 450$ for a full set of 8x SIMMs.

Not "cheap" by any means, but IMO worth it because once each game has been written to one of the 8 banks we can use a noCD BIOS.
Totally remove the SCSI drive/device, while still being able to switch games on the fly/at boot (no 40min write time required).

I intend to sell my original SIMMs and SCSI2SD device once I've converted over.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the estimation was around 450$ for a full set of 8x SIMMs.
Yes, that's the estiamated price. Also notice that it comes with 2 adapters so you can program the simms in a TL86 in question of minutes.
Damn, I love the idea of this, but is saving those 40min worth that $450? This one's steep!

but is saving those 40min worth that $450? This one's steep!
True, but you could sell the existing SIMMs and SCSI device to soften the blow. *shrug*
You think so? If someone is coming into this with nothing, why buy that stuff now? Or do you mean there are people who are running legit games that would want it?

If you are planning on selling your old style repro simms I would do it now, before the new ones are available. I'll be keeping my set as a collectible. I'm not sure if I will go for the new style, but probably.

The original simms will always have value, but it may fluctuate a little because of the desire for the quick swap. Collectors want the capcom ones, plain and simple.

I don't think is steep by any means.

It's hard work.
It's new bios.
It's new simms with new technology and capacity.
It's new design.
It's preserving the games we love one more time.
It's rejuvenating the system and the players desire to choose instantly, no more 40 minutes per flash, per game, per time you want to change to another game.
It's a proper multi of a complex (and every day more expensive) system.
It's setting you free from devices like the cd or sd adapter, scsi cables that often fail.
It's very good news in this awful year.

Questions. If I were to buy a non 3s cps3 board and someone else flashed 3s for me on the new big memory sticks, will it work on my board with out the disk drive?

I am also interested by the way .

CPS3 systems do not contain a unique key, rather the decrypt keys are contained in the carts.
That means IF you install correctly written SIMMs to the correct sockets with the correct noCD cart, it WILL work/boot without a disc drive/SCSI2SD device.

Beware however, IF anything happens to the data contained on said SIMMs (corruption/failure) you will be totally unable to rewrite them yourself.

Damn, I love the idea of this, but is saving those 40min worth that $450? This one's steep!
It's not really about "saving" those minutes, it's about doing it at all. My SuperBIOS setup is basically just a battery-free Third Strike board. It's not practical to switch games, so I don't. I did it once, and never again in the years I've owned it.

Once I can host people again and my arcade nights are back on? Being able to flip the cabs over to Jojo's for a night on request becomes as easy as swapping my CPS2 cabs from ST to Vampire Savior because we have the right players show up that night. Easy, no problem, have fun.

That's a huge value, easily worth it. I'm not in a hurry to upgrade tbh, without live events my cabs are basically useless, but once I can have people over again I'd be happy to pay that price to upgrade.

Hey man, our hobby is arcades, we love spending money, I get it.

I'm just saying, that's about $11.25 a min, your points are valid, but it's moving to the bottom fo my mulit-must have list.

The Namco multi is moving up! :P

Back