What's new
  • Red Wire to Pin 32on Pi (GPIO12)
  • Pin32 to GND via 1k Ohm resistor
In order to debug your issue, get hold of a USB-A male to USB-A female extender cable.
Connect it between your Triforce 1 and your SEGA JVS IO
Verify that everything works.
Open the extender cable carefully and cut the red wire in the cable.
Retry the operation.
If it does not work the sense handling is broken.

- Triforce 1 - Sega JVS IO = Triforce boots
- If i cut the sense line what should happen? Should it boot or not?

I suspect the Triforce will not boot which means that the sense handling on the Pi is flawed.
However the only way to determine what is going on is to try it. Of course you don't need to buy a cable, if you have the parts you can solder a quick cable together in 5 minutes :)

- Triforce -> normal USB cable -> Sega I/O = Boots
- Triforce -> Cut red Wire USB cable -> Sega I/O = Boots (Strange, i expected it not to boot
- Triforce -> Cut red Wire in OpenJVS adapter -> Pi = Boots

It looks like that the sense line of the adapter is doing something unexpected. Will redo the adapter later tonight.
Is the sense line a simple voltage i can measure? (guess i should measure 2.5 V on the sense line)

Thanks alot for all the help.

Last edited:
@Orakelschaf Hello - sorry for not replying earlier, was on a surfing holiday!

> Pin32 to GND via 1k Ohm resistor

This will be your problem, the Triforce is picky about the sense line value and resistors will vary by current so it's not a particulary accurate way to do it. I'd suggest using 4 x signal diodes (1n4001 as an example) instead for the triforce, this will likely fix your issue as it has other people in the past (this is what your real sega IO uses).

When you cut the sense line the Triforce will boot fine as it will detect that no IO is connected, so this is expected behaviour.

Also as an aside you keep mentioning that you're using a RS232 adapter. The protocol is RS485 so you should be using a USB to RS485 adapter - but I assume that because it works on Naomi 1 and 2, you are in fact using one of these adapters with some of the RS232 to RS485 converter on the end?

I would like to suggest that the reference design on github gets changed to only using diodes and removing the resistor solution.
I originally left that in there just because people are more likely to have random resistors laying around their houses - but good suggestion, I'll put a warning about the Triforce on first and then re-do the picture at some point.

Same here, I didn't want to solder 4 Diodes together, as it looks messier, and has more failure points if any of the solder points break, but in the end that's the only thing that worked universally.

Use a veroboard/stripboard and solder the diodes on that. Stick a molex header pin on each side and use dupont cables. Very clean.

I've continued with the Guncon3 tests and so far so good, 2 player action is great, but there ara a couple of notes:

- For Confidential Mission I had to enable a Reload button (Button B) for Screen-In/Out reloading.
- Lupin the Shooting boots, i can coin and start a game but gives random "Com. Error Ocurred between Naomi BD andI/O Bd." Some times is after a few seconds of playing and sometimes i can get to the end of the first scene. I've tried this on both a Naomi and Naomi2 boards with latest Multi BIOS in Japan regsion as well as Export region and the original Export BIOS that came with my Naomi 2 and its always the same error at random spots. I remember this didn't happen with MP07-IONA-US (But is a PITA to work with that IO)

Also is the Qanba Drone PS4/PS3 joystick compatible? I can see it being discoverd by the scan and can configure buttons and joystick but when I try to boot a game the game errors out with a No Jamma I/O board connected message. Then this happens i see a couple of green led blinks but nothing more in the HAT. Also Naomi test menu doesn't see any JVS board. I've tried connecting the joystick to all the USB ports in the PI4 and setting both PS3 and PS4 modes. Is there anything else I should try? Could this be related to power consumption?

I've continued with the Guncon3 tests and so far so good, 2 player action is great, but there ara a couple of notes:

- For Confidential Mission I had to enable a Reload button (Button B) for Screen-In/Out reloading.
- Lupin the Shooting boots, i can coin and start a game but gives random "Com. Error Ocurred between Naomi BD andI/O Bd." Some times is after a few seconds of playing and sometimes i can get to the end of the first scene. I've tried this on both a Naomi and Naomi2 boards with latest Multi BIOS in Japan regsion as well as Export region and the original Export BIOS that came with my Naomi 2 and its always the same error at random spots. I remember this didn't happen with MP07-IONA-US (But is a PITA to work with that IO)

Also is the Qanba Drone PS4/PS3 joystick compatible? I can see it being discoverd by the scan and can configure buttons and joystick but when I try to boot a game the game errors out with a No Jamma I/O board connected message. Then this happens i see a couple of green led blinks but nothing more in the HAT. Also Naomi test menu doesn't see any JVS board. I've tried connecting the joystick to all the USB ports in the PI4 and setting both PS3 and PS4 modes. Is there anything else I should try? Could this be related to power consumption?
Hi elrod, sorry that you're having some trouble!

In terms of Lupin the Shooting, it's something I'll have to look at myself at some point - but it could be due to the fact that we can't fully guarantee the speed at which we can reply to the Naomi due to the fact we're on Linux, a multi threaded operating system which might decide that some other process is more important than OpenJVS for a few milliseconds. Some games (not many) are really funny about the reply times, and if they don't get them super quickly they'll bug out. The MP07-IONA-US IO is an embedded device so reply times can be guaranteed there. I've unforunately not got any of my arcade equiptment with me at the moment, but I'll try and get my hands on a Naomi to do some testing.

If the game errors out with No Jamma I/O detected it would suggest that OpenJVS isn't starting up properly because the map file is broken, and it's breaking whilst trying to read it. Could you copy the map file here? I'm assuming you're using WiPi?

Here's V1.1, the main difference is that now it uses the 26-pin header for compatibility with older model Raspberry Pi. Everything is included in the zip. Hope it helps! :thumbsup:

https://gofile.io/d/pTtsqS

x-Open-JVSv11-Board-Small.png

x-Open-JVSv11-3-D-A-Small.png
Do you still have this PCB posted somewhere? I'd like to build a couple of those.

My open jvs is having issues where it stops working after about 1 minute of the game booting up. It all of the sudden gets Jamma IO Bad connection error. Any ideas on why this would happen?

some way to configure the aimtrak ultimarc. it doesn't recognize my settings
IMG-20230724-WA0000.jpg

some way to configure the aimtrak ultimarc. it doesn't recognize my settings
IMG-20230724-WA0000.jpg
I have the same issue; hopefully someone sheds some light on it. I haven’t been able to really get the Aimtraks to work well with OpenJVS and they don’t appear as configured in the menu.

Back