What's new

Solkan

Beginner
Reaction score
Hello,

I've tried to upgrade my T3 Chihiro with this promizing Firmware.

While updating from 2.19 to 2.20

FirmwareUpdate_1.JPG

But, after the upgrade, I see no changes and the boot version is still in 2.19
FirmwareUpdate_ko.JPG

After that, I've put an IDE to CF adapter (powered by an external PC PSU) in the Chihiro and got a "Error 25. Cannot access GD-ROM drive".

I'm not really sure it's because of the wrong Firmware or if I burn incorrectly the CF (I flash the CF with the "NaomiCF v1.34" program I used for my Naomi Compact flash).

Can you help me with this problem ? Thank you.

Ps : what is the type of the connector that is on the Chihiro Media board and where I can get the power ?
Chiihiro - SSD alimentation.PNG

Attachments

• FirmwareUpdate_2.JPG
    FirmwareUpdate_2.JPG
    146.9 KB · Views: 44
yes. It's normal that you see 2.19 version. We did it that way so that you're always able to update to 2.20 ;)

Error 25 means that the dimmer cant access the gdrom. Make sure that everything is properly connected and powered.

But before that, the first test I would do is try loading from a normal gdrom a normal game, so you're sure that everything is in pla e and properly powered.

Unfortunatly, I don't have any Chihiro GDRom.

I've tried also with a small IDE HDD with the same result.

TRy powering the HDD from an external source and connect to a PC from using that power source to make sure that it actually reads well. Also check the jumper settings. Do you have ZEROKEY PIC?

What error do you get when no harddrive / compact flash / gdrom is connected?

I am unsure, but if I remember well it should give you error 33 like that. (I can retest within 8 hours this evening.)

The internal power connector is identical to the external one that powered the gdrom. It has GND, 5V and 12V. A compact flash adapter don't need the 12V.

Reactions: nem
Stupid me and stupid Chinese stuff : it was the little master/slave jumper of my CF adapter that was broken. After replacing it, the CF was recognized and the Chihiro starts loading the game.

- Testing a Game Program
- Loading a Game program

And unfortunaltly, I met a new Error 21 "THIS GAME IS NOT ACCEPTABLE BY MAIN BOARD" when I use the games I used to netboot (OR2 and VC 3 for 512 Chihiro).

I use the gcfi_1.10.zip package to create my compact flash cards.
For some reason it only wants to work with a 512MB compact flash card.
Windows 8 (maybe 10 as well) have the tendency to write something to the card after formatting.
Due to that, the tool refuses to work as well on these osses.
I finally ended up using a windows 7 in virtualbox. I mount a raw image of a 512MB compact flash card to it and I run the tool to prepare it. Next, I copy the image to a real flash card. After this, even a bigger flash card appears as a 512MB to windows. (And probably the chihiro as well)
Obviously, you need to use the correct id's from the compact flash card you intend to use.
And, you need to know what you're security pic is looking for. Some are programmed for ABC.BIN, others for XYZ.BIN, but basically, it can be anything.

And, you need to know what you're security pic is looking for. Some are programmed for ABC.BIN, others for XYZ.BIN, but basically, it can be anything.
Can you tell me more about this. How can I know what my PIC is looking for ?

I use the same PIC for Netbooting the Chihiro. Do I need another one ?

I only discovered last week that my netboot pic also works for a compact flash boot.
It wouldn't suprise me that most people will still tell you need a different pic for netboot and compact flash boot.

The situation is probably that some security pic's only work for compact flash / gd rom and others for both netboot and compact flash gdrom.

If you look at the contents of a compact flash card, you will find 2 files on it. There is a smaller 1KB file and a larger one which is the actual game image.

The name of that smaller file is important and is sent from the security pic to the system. So your system won't boot if that file name is incorrect.

The most common used filenames are ABC.BIN and XYZ.BIN. So you can simply try renaming that file and see if it makes a difference.

If your security pic isn't code protected, you can read it out and check the binary what filename it's looking 4. You need a pic programmer for that. Maybe the source of your security pic can tell you what it needs.

I could send you a known working pic if you don't have the equipment to check / burn one yourself. I can provide a working compact flash image as well. All I need is the compact flash "id" of your card. (Usually 2 hex codes in the number range)

There also are hardware designs that allow the readout of a security pic. Those purpose was mainly to read out the original security devices and get their encryption keys.

Just let me know how you wish to proceed.

In the name of science, I changed the ABC.BIN on one of my cards, The system very shortly accesses the compact flash card. (led flashes shortly). After that, I get a media board malfunctioning.

As you are seeing the "game loading" line, it means that your file name is correct.

So, it must be something with the program to get the game on the compact flash card. Have you tried the gcfi package?

According to google, on naomi error 21 means that the game code is corrupt.
This enforces the theory that your procedure to get the image on the flash card is not working as expected.

So, it must be something with the program to get the game on the compact flash card. Have you tried the gcfi package?
Not yet. I will try this evening (when I will be back home :) )

So, if my CF ID is 3530 and my CF is mapped on the E: drive, I will use
Code:
gcfi  -s 0x3530 -d E:\ -l CFB.BIN -g or2sp.bin
And BTW, thank you for you answers; it helps a lot

Look at the contents of your compact flash card to see what key file it's using now.

So, if the key file is ABC.BIN your command would be:

gcfi -s 0x3530 -d E:\ -l ABC.BIN -g or2sp.bin

You can rename the ABC.BIN file afterwards as well.

I format the card before I run the tool (not a quick format but a full.)

Problems you can expect:
On windows 8.1, the tool gives me issues telling that the card isn't empty, even after it has been formatted. It's due to the OS putting a file on the cf card after the format.

The tool only seems to works with 512MB compact flash cards.

On a virtual xp machine (running in virtualbox) the os gives an error that a "delayed write failed". The compact flash card isn't working.

On a virtual windows 7, it gives an error window as well, but the card seems to be functional.

Some usb compact flash readers don't allow sector based access to the compact flash card. (Not even as administrator). I use a tool called lockvolume.exe by Joachim Schicht (run as administrator) Just select the drive letter of your compact flash card, next select Lockit and Safe Dismount. This should fix the issue.

Obviously, if you have a chinese cf to ide adapter hooked to an old pc with pata interface, if your cf card is 512MB and if you are running xp, you shouldn't have those problems :)
You need such a setup to read your card id anyhow, but you only need to read that id once.

Obviously, if you have a chinese cf to ide adapter hooked to an old pc with pata interface, if your cf card is 512MB and if you are running xp, you shouldn't have those problems :)
You need such a setup to read your card id anyhow, but you only need to read that id once.
I've an XP old Atom with PATA I used to powerup when I need to read CF ID (I use NaomiCF.exe from here :http://notinmame.blogspot.com/2012/07/naomicf.html).
Unfortnatly all my CF are 2 Gigs. I will try with a FAT format at 512 Mo

I can send you a blank image of a 512MB cf card. If you restore it to a card, it will appear as a 512MB card to the system. If you pm me your email adress, I can probably send it over mail after I compressed it.

As long as you don't repartition it, it will remain 512MB

After a long evening of testing all kind of tools (even trying to partition my 2 Gigs CF with Windows diskpart), I ended up with simply format (FAT) my CF in Windows and tranfert the bin file with NaomiCF.exe software (https://notinmame.blogspot.com/2012/07/naomicf.html).

Too simple to be true but it works flawlessly.

I really don't know why my CF didn't work before that since they seemed to be already formated in FAT.

Thanks for all your help and, of course, for the FirmWare

Back