What's new

BladeZX

Grand Master
Reaction score
Has anyone done this?
Can someone tell me what roms need to be updated in order to make it into a Rastan Saga?

Thanks

I have done this.

Let me check my notes and get back to you.

It's only a few roms that have to change.

The graphics/sound roms are the same between all versions of Rastan/Rastan saga.

I’m interested in this as well. Thx for any forthcoming info.

Ok, here is what I have for you.

rastsaga.zip is the set you want.

You need to change the maincpu ROMs.

gamedescrom nameregionoffsetsize
rastsagaRastan Saga (Japan Rev 1)b04-20.76adpcm065536
rastsagaRastan Saga (Japan Rev 1)b04-19.49audiocpu065536
rastsagaRastan Saga (Japan Rev 1)b04-01.40gfx10131072
rastsagaRastan Saga (Japan Rev 1)b04-03.39gfx120000131072
rastsagaRastan Saga (Japan Rev 1)b04-02.67gfx140000131072
rastsagaRastan Saga (Japan Rev 1)b04-04.66gfx160000131072
rastsagaRastan Saga (Japan Rev 1)b04-05.15gfx20131072
rastsagaRastan Saga (Japan Rev 1)b04-07.14gfx220000131072
rastsagaRastan Saga (Japan Rev 1)b04-06.28gfx240000131072
rastsagaRastan Saga (Japan Rev 1)b04-08.27gfx260000131072
rastsagaRastan Saga (Japan Rev 1)b04-14.19maincpu065536
rastsagaRastan Saga (Japan Rev 1)b04-13.7maincpu165536
rastsagaRastan Saga (Japan Rev 1)b04-16-1.20maincpu2000065536
rastsagaRastan Saga (Japan Rev 1)b04-15-1.8maincpu2000165536
rastsagaRastan Saga (Japan Rev 1)b04-18-1.21maincpu4000065536
rastsagaRastan Saga (Japan Rev 1)b04-17-1.9maincpu4000165536

It's possible you don't even technically have to change all 6, because they are in pairs.

My memory is fuzzy on that, and my notes are not as detailed as I remembered.

When I was in the middle of all my work on Rastan, I thought I would remember everything about it and didn't write some things down. I was wrong.

Changing all 6 is recommended though, as that's how the code was intended to run.

Their positions on the PCB are 14, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25.

You can see they are labeled with blue painter's tape below.

rastan_saga_retail.jpg

You should only use rev 1 ROMs as my testing has shown that rev 0 have a bug that causes a crash on level 5, in some instances.

I have verified this on legit and bootleg boards and have read other online accounts.

All Rastan romsets will have dumps that end with the same extension.

You are interested in: .7, .8, .9, .19, .20, .21

This is the mapping from the romset to the positions on the board.

b04-13.7 = 21
b04-15-1.8 = 22
b04-17-1.9 = 24
b04-14.19 = 14
b04-16-1.20 = 23
b04-18-1.21 = 25

I hope this is helpful.

Edit: I had read the rom labeled 25 as 15. I have corrected that.

Last edited:
is it a different game, or just a region thing??

@GeorgeSpinner thanks so much
I read that the chips are hard to find but u can use 27c1001 chips with some mods

For a 27c010 or 27c1001 eprom:
  • Connect pins #30, 31, 32 together and connect them to pin #1 with a small wire.
  • Gently bend pin #24 so it won’t plug into the socket and connect it to pin #16 with a small wire.
  • Solder a small wire on pin #2 that you will plug into pin #22 of the socket.
For a 27c301 or 27c1000 eprom:
  • Connect pins #30, 31, 32 together and connect them to pin #1 with a small wire.
  • Connect pin #2 to pin #16 with a small wire.

@GeorgeSpinner
I do not see the ROM names like you said for rastsaga.zip

Here is what I see

Attachments

• rastansaga_roms.jpg
    rastansaga_roms.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 109
@GeorgeSpinner thanks so much
I read that the chips are hard to find but u can use 27c1001 chips with some mods

For a 27c010 or 27c1001 eprom:
  • Gently bend pin #24 so it won’t plug into the socket and connect it to pin #16 with a small wire.
  • Solder a small wire on pin #2 that you will plug into pin #22 of the socket.
For a 27c301 or 27c1000 eprom:
  • Connect pin #2 to pin #16 with a small wire.
The chips are so very easy to find.

I got them from Amazon and eBay.

They weren't even expensive.

You want 27c512. Any brand.

These will work.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JW736SZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_JN2Q7QF4SD1VDMGBWE8Y

@GeorgeSpinner
OK I have lots of 27c512 chips here
DId u see my other post about the file names being different in my rastsaga.zip file - 2 post above this

@GeorgeSpinner
I do not see the ROM names like you said for rastsaga.zip

Here is what I see

The roms you are interested in are the last 6 roms in the list.

As long as they end in the extensions I specified, they will work.

You probably have a newer dump than the list that was returned by the db.

I believe I used the roms you are showing.

I think all that rom chip hackery posted above is for the mask roms on that board- uses some odd type- good info in here, but what’s the difference between the two versions?

I think all that rom chip hackery posted above is for the mask roms on that board- uses some odd type- good info in here, but what’s the difference between the two versions
Not sure what you mean by versions.

Rastan vs Rastan saga?

Japan (SAGA) vs USA/WORLD.

The different file names used between the 2 romsets?

Check mame for that. Supposedly cleaner dumps?

If you compare the contents of all the romsets there isn't much there.

I don't think it's much of a hack, considering graphics and sound are identical (I believe) on all revisions.

You are replacing the game data roms in their entirely.

If you see how all the different versions of Rastan are assembled, theses are the files that change.

There are differences, Saga is the superior one IMO.

Rastan Saga (the Japanese version) features an opening sequence, when the player starts the game, which explains the purpose of Rastan's journey. It is not included in the versions released in other countries (which are simply titled Rastan). Also, in the Japanese version when the player completes a stage ("Round") the "victory" screen has text pertaining to the storyline. In the international versions, there is a "generic" victory screen with generic text ("You are a brave fighter to have cleared such a difficult stage"). However, the international versions feature a different attract sequence which shows all the items that can be obtained by the player along with their effect.

In the Japanese version there are far fewer bats during the bat swarm sequences in the castle of level 1 than in other versions.

In Europe, the arcade game was originally released with its Japanese title Rastan Saga

There are differences, Saga is the superior one IMO.

Rastan Saga (the Japanese version) features an opening sequence, when the player starts the game, which explains the purpose of Rastan's journey. It is not included in the versions released in other countries (which are simply titled Rastan). Also, in the Japanese version when the player completes a stage ("Round") the "victory" screen has text pertaining to the storyline. In the international versions, there is a "generic" victory screen with generic text ("You are a brave fighter to have cleared such a difficult stage"). However, the international versions feature a different attract sequence which shows all the items that can be obtained by the player along with their effect.

In the Japanese version there are far fewer bats during the bat swarm sequences in the castle of level 1 than in other versions.

In Europe, the arcade game was originally released with its Japanese title Rastan Saga
I'm intimately familiar with both versions, in terms of gameplay and their ROMs.

I thought this conversation was limited to the technical differences.

They do share the samev exact time roms for graphics, even though there are additional scenes in Rastan Saga.

I'm not sure what you say about the bats in level 1-2 is accurate.

I believe the difference is not related to region, but is related to revision.

Prior to Rev 1 there are fewer or no bats in the swinging rope on level 1-2.

Rev 1 has a swarm of bats at that section, regardless of region. I didn't count them but the difficult seems the same to me.

is it a different game, or just a region thing??
I didn't see this earlier.

It's the same game, but there are some cosmetic differences.

These are the differences I noticed.

Rastan Saga:

There is an intro scene that sets up the story.

Between levels there is unique dialog.

There is dialog at the end of the game that wraps things up.

Rastan:

Weapons and items explained during attract.

Same dialog after every level except 6.

No end of game dialog.

Reactions: stj
Yeah, sorry, no idea about the bats, I just cut and pasted that from the internet. The only think I've seen is the cut scenes vs the items, I think the cut scenes are cooler.

If that's revision based and not region based, OK, but it seems to be region based from what the internet shows. My PCB is just Rastan and I don't have the cut scenes.

Back