What's new
I wish I knew, but that is beyond my knowledge about these things.
I remembered that the Fujitsu MSP55LV100S is not stocked anywhere, so I wanted to know what's your opinion about creating custom pcbs with connectors that make the programming process easier than de- and re-soldering (and also eliminate the need for sacrifice carts).
If that's not an option, please ignore this n00b question.
The sizes of nor flash chips you would want to use aren't available. The 161in1 C/V roms use F0095H0 which are 8Gbit. If you google for 8Gbit nor flash the likely only hit you will see if a press release from a long time ago. Most manufactures seem to top out at 2Gbit, which would mean having to have 4x the number of chips. Its also asking a f-ton for someone to design 2x cart PCBs (4x if you do both AES/MVS), a number of flash PCBs and a number of adapter PCBs needed to adapt the flash PCBs to a programmer.

Here’s a thought, what if you just mirror the 161 layout in a new PCB but don’t disconnect the JTAG lines?

Then you just parts move everything to new PCB and program slowly with JTAG.

Here’s a thought, what if you just mirror the 161 layout in a new PCB but don’t disconnect the JTAG lines?

Then you just parts move everything to new PCB and program slowly with JTAG.

Cost. At that point you are better off getting a full multi cart where all of that work and more has already been done

Reactions: ack
I've messaged a few sellers on Alibaba about F0095H0, with the needed BGA(?) footprint package. One says they found some from a supplier and are offering them at 4$ a piece. They said they can send some pics after they buy them. I let them know others would probably be needing this IC as well. We'll see what happens.

Edit: Another seller just sent me this, It's looking promising.

Edit: It's probably going to smooth things over with the sellers if we can get a tally on who all would need some of these. None of them are likely going to have it on hand and would need to purchase from another supplier. I'm going to get at least 5. Anyone else interested in this to let the seller know and make it worth their time?

Attachments

• ef30cb591e6c863b5cc9436b61a746cb.jpeg
    ef30cb591e6c863b5cc9436b61a746cb.jpeg
    7.2 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
About the castellated holes: I think Furrtek got a similar problem with one of his projects and ended up making a flex pcb instead.

Edit: It's probably going to smooth things over with the sellers if we can get a tally on who all would need some of these. None of them are likely going to have it on hand and would need to purchase from another supplier. I'm going to get at least 5. Anyone else interested in this to let the seller know and make it worth their time?

So you're trying not to kill 161-in-1 carts for their flash chips (1 cart can be used in the expansion of 3) On the one hand, just buying the chips is cheaper then the average $25 per chip you're paying by killing a 161-in-1; but the chips in the 161-in-1 (when you get it) are known to be of good working quality; something I can't say of some of the IC's I got from Aliexpress in the past. Getting dead chips is more common than not and you won't know you got a bad flash chip until you solder it and try to program it.

Choose your poison. :)

@ack if this PR is not included in the codebase, does it mean that we won't be able to fit all the games in the 3G of space? What does the extra 70MB of space give us?

Also, about publishing binaries so others can test this code ... :)

About the castellated holes: I think Furrtek got a similar problem with one of his projects and ended up making a flex pcb instead.
I think all of the adapter we made are 4 layers, and flex are 2 layers. We could arrange another layout for routing but place will still be limited.
Also, flex are very expensive. It's cheaper to waste few PCB than create flex.

I'm in for some F0095H0

I'm in for some F0095H0
I've messaged a few sellers on Alibaba about F0095H0, with the needed BGA(?) footprint package. One says they found some from a supplier and are offering them at 4$ a piece. They said they can send some pics after they buy them. I let them know others would probably be needing this IC as well. We'll see what happens.

Edit: Another seller just sent me this, It's looking promising.

Same here, 6 or 12 will be great depending on the price.

@ack I saw in the github comments you were not sure about the fitting in an AES case. Would measurements help? I ordered one a bit ago and can measure when it comes in if that's helpful.

@ack if this PR is not included in the codebase, does it mean that we won't be able to fit all the games in the 3G of space? What does the extra 70MB of space give us?

Also, about publishing binaries so others can test this code ... :)
The original limit on games was because of the 2G of available C flash space. Adding the 3rd C flash chip removed that limit, but shifted the limit to be the available P flash space. That PR is about optimizing how the P rom data is stored in the P flash chips to free up ~70MB. Vortex had some concerns about how I did that. I have since made some adjustments which hopefully address those concerns. I'm currently waiting on feedback to the adjustments.

I don't have any plans on making an exe. Vortex's github should be considered the authoritative source for everything.

@ack I saw in the github comments you were not sure about the fitting in an AES case. Would measurements help? I ordered one a bit ago and can measure when it comes in if that's helpful.
yes that would be helpful, thanks. I'm not even sure if the AES version uses DIP style daughterboards.

I don't have any plans on making an exe. Vortex's github should be considered the authoritative source for everything.

Have you had a chance to test your updated code on real hardware? or just the original code?

Reactions: ack
Have you had a chance to test your updated code on real hardware? or just the original code?
I've tested my original PR and the adjustments from Vortex's feedback on a real cart. The latter is just a tweak to the CPLD code and didn't require changing the on optimized p rom data on the flash chips from the original PR/test.

And by tested I mean checked that it was doing what I expected. I didn't play/test every game on the cart looking for an issue.

I've tested my original PR and the adjustments from Vortex's feedback on a real cart. The latter is just a tweak to the CPLD code and didn't require changing the on optimized p rom data on the flash chips from the original PR/test.

And by tested I mean checked that it was doing what I expected. I didn't play/test every game on the cart looking for an issue.

Thank you for your contributions. Hopefully your updated code will be accepted shortly, rather than hacking it into the codebase by hand. In the mean time, I grabbed a free Win11 VM from Microsoft, installed the community edition of Delphi and build the executable. When I copied it over to my Win7 VM (with a legal license that doesn't expire like win11) it ran just fine. So at least I have a way to build the binary once your final code is accepted.

@ack I merged your repo changes with the main branch, build an exe and ran it. No errors detected. I used VTXCart_Games.zip (linked to earlier in this thread) as the games source (removing all the games that are not supported). I did notice a few games have strange characters for their name (not sure where it pulls that from). Are these just puzzle games that you removed?

example: Janshin Densetsu --> [?·³? ?·? ]

How does one go about and fix what the item is called in the menu?

You can change the name of a game by editing Games/<romset>/menu file. The only one I touched was to make mslug2t be Metal Slug 2 Turbo. The pics/cart from a few pages back used this games list.

Code:
tstsuite
3countb
sonicwi2
sonicwi3
aodk
alpham2
androdun
aof
aof2
aof3
bakatono
b2b
bangbead
bstars
bstars2
flipshot
blazstar
bjourney
breakers
breakrev
burningf
ctomaday
crsword
crswd2bl
cyberlip
doubledr
eightman
fatfury1
fatfury2
fatfury3
fatfursp
fightfev
fbfrenzy
galaxyfg
ganryu
# garou        - bankswitching mode 4
garoub
gpilots
ghostlop
goalx3
gururin
ironclad
irrmaze
janshin
kof94
kof95
kof96
kof97
kof98
# kof99        - bankswitching mode 3
kof99b
# kof2000    - bankswitching mode 7
kof2000b
kof2001
kof2002
# kof2003    - bankswitching mode 2
kof2003b
kabukikl
karnovr
kotm
kotm2
kizuna
lastblad
lastbld2
lresort
lbowling
legendos
magdrop2
magdrop3
maglord
mahretsu
froman2b
marukodq
moshougi
# matrim    - graphics mode 6
matrimb
mslug
mslug2
mslug2t
# mslug3    - bankswitching mode 6
mslug3b
# mslug4    - graphics mode 5
mslug4b
# mslug5    - bankswitching mode 2
mslug5b
mslugx
minasan
miexchng
mutnat
nam1975
neobombe
neodrift
neomrdo
turfmast
neocup98
nitd
ncombat
ncommand
ninjamas
overtop
panicbom
pgoal
pnyaa
popbounc
pspikes2
preisle2
pulstar
pbobblen
pbobbl2n
puzzledp
puzzldpr
joyjoy
quizdais
quizkof
quizdai2
rotd
ragnagrd
rbff1
rbff2
rbffspec
ridhero
roboarmy
# svc        - bankswitching mode 2
svcb
samsho
samsho2
samsho3
samsho4
samsho5
samsh5sp
savagere
sengoku
sengoku2
sengoku3
shocktro
shocktr2
socbrawl
spinmast
stakwin
stakwin2
strhoop
s1945p
2020bb
sdodgeb
ssideki
ssideki2
ssideki3
ssideki4
superspy
tws96
teot
trally
tophuntr
tpgolf
twinspri
viewpoin
gowcaizr
wakuwak7
wjammers
wh1
wh2
wh2j
whp
xevious
zedblade
zintrckb
zupapa

example: Janshin Densetsu --> [?·³? ?·? ]
Oh, I realized you are probably talking about the output from the compiler. That has to do with backup ram stuff not what is displayed in the menu.

Back