What's new

gamemaster14

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had a Naomi 2 board for a good while now, never had any issues with it, The other day I tried to run Virtua Fighter 4 Final Tuned and it just freezes at the Sega screen. I did some more trouble shooting, Naomi 1 games such as Street Fighter Zero 3 Upper and Guilty Gear XX Accent Core work just fine.

I tried Naomi 2 games Virtua Fighter 4 Version C which froze just after the warming screen and Club Kart Freezes in the part of the intro when it would start to show the graphics of the game.

I had read on other topics about checking voltages and reseating bios and nothing seams to make a difference. I checked the fans on both GPU and they both spin just fine (assuming the chips under the fans are gpu). The case fan also seams to run fine.

I have read that Naomi 2 also has issues with a gpu coming off of the board, I looked at the chips quickly and neither looks different to the other.

If anyone could give me advise on what could be going on with this board and if there are any possible solutions I can try to fix it, that would be greatly appreciated.

I had one that did a similar thing. Can you run the ram check from the test menu to see if any of them are reported bad?

Everything checks out ok, Ram test everything is good, club kart cartridge all roms are good, tried swapping gd-rom drives, and power supplies, no difference.

Only thing I can not swap out is the naomi 2 board itself as I only have the one.

I read something about one gpu detaching from the board but have no away to check for that, any help is appreciated.

Ram test everything is good, club kart cartridge all roms are good
have you done RAM test with N2 cartridge plugged in ? otherwise there will be tested only N1 RAMs

if all RAM tests are OK unlikely it's "GPU detaching" issue, because main CPU access video RAMs not directly but through GPU chips, so...

have you done RAM test with N2 cartridge plugged in ? otherwise there will be tested only N1 RAMs

if all RAM tests are OK unlikely it's "GPU detaching" issue, because main CPU access video RAMs not directly but through GPU chips, so...
Yeah all ram tests, rom board tests and dim board test come out as ok. That was the first thing I did. I was fearing the gpu issue.

Are you using game cartridges? or are you using dimm? if so you could try changing the ram modules and see the battery status

Are you using game cartridges? or are you using dimm? if so you could try changing the ram modules and see the battery status
Yeah I tried everything I could think of, change gd-rom drive, tried a different dimm, then tried a Naomi 2 cartridge (Club Cart) everything crashes which leads me to believe the board itself is at fault
well, then assuming it is not power supply issue - it might be bad T&L chip or GPU...
That sounds possible, which chip is the T&L, and is there anyway to know if the chips are bad, other than replacing them? Like any signs from a visual inspection? Any things I can try, such as pressing on the chip and seeing if anything changes?

Back