What's new
Has anyone tried a standard tl866ii programmer and using a 48 pin adapter for the 42-pin eproms? Wondering if you were successful as I prepare everything I can before ordering the multi and trying to keep costs as low as they'll go.

Has anyone tried a standard tl866ii programmer and using a 48 pin adapter for the 42-pin eproms? Wondering if you were successful as I prepare everything I can before ordering the multi and trying to keep costs as low as they'll go.

I assume you're talking about an adapter like this:
https://digicoolthings.com/eprom-programmer-adapter-for-27c400800160-and-27c322-16bit-eproms/

It's tedious but it is possible. I wouldn't recommend it though.

There are fourteen 27C322 EPROMs that have to be programmed for the System 16 Multi. Those 48 pin to 40 adapters can only program 1/8 of a 27C322 EPROM at a time, so you have to split each of the 14 files into eight 512k pieces, and then flash each 512k piece to the EPROM one at a time, advancing the bank switch dial on the adapter after each piece. 14 * 8 = 112 flash cycles to program one set of EPROMs for the Multi. They cover those steps for programming a 27C322 in the page I linked above.

FWIW, I offer free programming for EPROMs - all you have to do is pay for shipping the chips both ways. Send me a PM if you want me to program a System 16 Multi EPROM set for you.

I assume you're talking about an adapter like this:
https://digicoolthings.com/eprom-programmer-adapter-for-27c400800160-and-27c322-16bit-eproms/

It's tedious but it is possible. I wouldn't recommend it though.

There are fourteen 27C322 EPROMs that have to be programmed for the System 16 Multi. Those 48 pin to 40 adapters can only program 1/8 of a 27C322 EPROM at a time, so you have to split each of the 14 files into eight 512k pieces, and then flash each 512k piece to the EPROM one at a time, advancing the bank switch dial on the adapter after each piece. 14 * 8 = 112 flash cycles to program one set of EPROMs for the Multi. They cover those steps for programming a 27C322 in the page I linked above.

FWIW, I offer free programming for EPROMs - all you have to do is pay for shipping the chips both ways. Send me a PM if you want me to program a System 16 Multi EPROM set for you.
Thanks for the offer. I may take you up on that. I looked into what needed to be done on the TL866 and didn't realize I needed to break it up into 8 files. I thought it was 4 and even then knew it was going to be daunting, but 8...lol. Yeah, that would take forever and a day.

I thought I had a donor for this and... Guess not. Does anyone have board recommendations? Obviously I'm looking for a less-desirable game as a donor.

I thought I had a donor for this and... Guess not. Does anyone have board recommendations? Obviously I'm looking for a less-desirable game as a donor.
Mine was a Flash Point PCB. Since there's no mod to the main board for a multi, just keep the ROM board stored somewhere, whichever game you decide to buy. Flash Point seemed to be a good one to get for "cheap". There are probably others.

Could someone provide me a pinout for the CN5 connector? I'm trying to get a selector to work and I've replaced and swapped every major component on the adapter and it won't actually change games (everything else on it works). Before I start digging into programming, I'd like to somehow verify that CN5 is connected as it should be.

Copied from another post, CN5 pinout:

S16_CN5.jpg

Red +5V
Black GND
White Reset

Which kind of selector are you trying to install, LCD (by me), Oled, something other?

Copied from another post, CN5 pinout:

S16_CN5.jpg

Red +5V
Black GND
White Reset

Which kind of selector are you trying to install, LCD (by me), Oled, something other?
I need the CN5 pinout on the multi itself. 10 pins. Those 3 pins work fine as I can reset games manually. I'm Installing Blade's Multi-Pi. I like the Titan selector so I went with this too.

I need the CN5 pinout on the multi itself. 10 pins. Those 3 pins work fine as I can reset games manually. I'm Installing Blade's Multi-Pi. I like the Titan selector so I went with this too.

Those are basically only "data"-lines. You can compare the function with the dip switches next to that connector.

Game changing via dip-switches (without selector at all) works fine?

When you're trying to use the selector, are all dips set to 0-position?

Ok, I have no experience from the Multi-Pi -selector.

Back