What's new
@twistedsymphony

also what I’m thinking is the following

burn the rom chip from the star soldier aleck64 dump, plug it in the aleck pcb with the lockout chip from the n64 game and maybe you can plug and play use the Jamma edge since maybe that rom is programmed to work with it! :)
Problem is it’s a chip we can’t burn right? Or have replacement for to use?

A23E1203-998D-4A53-800B-8537A415FBF2.jpeg

Problem is it’s a chip we can’t burn right? Or have replacement for to use?

Correct... These are SERIAL EPROMs not Parallel. You cannot buy replacement chips. From what I've heard they were only made available to Nintendo.

If you wanted to use Parallel EPROMs you would need to design a serial interface to access them. I believe this is what the FPGA does on the more complicated Aruze Aleck64 carts and it's possible this was done to save from having to license the chips from Nintendo.

@twistedsymphony oke that leaves me no choice other then to hack this edge connector from the everdrive

318EF745-A0EB-475F-B732-9C64167DE36E.jpeg

to the aleck connector

and load the dump files in there to make it work. So to make a multi we need to make a seta to n64 adapter and then 3D print a casing where then you can slide in or a normal n64 game or a everdrive where you can load in all the arcade dumps and or n64 games or even original seta/n64 cards

i Will order some parts to have the n64 to seta converter made up

Last edited:
So to make a multi we need to make a seta to n64 adapter and then 3D print a casing where then you can slide in or a normal n64 game or a everdrive where you can load in all the arcade dumps and or n64 games or even original seta/n64 cards

if you design this PCB please try to make it work with a normal Aleck64 cartridge case. We can then replicate the Aleck64 cartridge case with 3D printing.

Yes I will make in a way that you can use your original aleck64 mobo/cards with no mods And then a plug and play adapter that plugs in it to work with your n64 cards or everdrive . So you can still play your normal n64 if you don’t want to buy a everdrive. I ordered some parts and need to do some pcb checking in the following weeks.
As soon as I got a update in having this ready
I make everything public .

I’m not here te make money on this as most people don’t own a aleck so I won’t be rich making this haha. So you can have a choice me making it for a small fee or you make it yourself @home

And in the end I also want to upload a 3D design for the card. as I work everyday with 3D printers and the 3D design programs . That wil be the most costly and time consuming s

Will keep you all updated!

I suppose this is interesting, but I'm failing to see the real world application of the project.
As @brizzo said, wouldn't the best "Jamma N64" be an original N64 motherboard that had padhacks or Brooks Retro boards for control?

I don't buy the "its sharper" argument, yea the first revisions of the N64 (the ones that are really easy to RGB mod) DO look soft/muddy.
But the new mod from Tim (ie works with all versions of the N64) produces a much richer image (I would assume comparable to this).

@jassin000 sorry you feel this way. This exact reason is why we have taito x2 multi/lindy multi/Naomi multi etc etc

But isn’t that the same story then like why don’t you put a ps2 in your cabinet or a dreamcast or a wii etc or maybe a Pandora box and have all the goodies.... yuk

Since we all are arcade based here . This is arcade based at its finest in my eyes giving some new life and love to a unknown Jamma board

anyway I’m just trying to run stuff on your original hardware. Modding a n64 to work in your cabinet is no fun :) this is for me a project. I don’t charge people anything to come look here :D it’s for my own amusement and yes I try a n64 with rgb mod and yes it looks good maybe the exact as the aleck64 but that’s not the point . This way maybe people can also play all the aleck64 games on there aleck64 board without spending 1000 euro on a starsoldier card or any other rare games

Last edited:
This way maybe people can also play all the aleck64 games on there aleck64 board without spending 1000 euro on a starsoldier card or any other rare games
Alright, I can see the point/this as a perfectly valid reason.
Also nice work with this find/information. :)

Reactions: AMS
@twistedsymphony sorry yes forgot to put it down. that I can do :) as there is plenty of space inside a aleck card if I have the pcb fully working I can upload here a few drawings of the shell we can/want to use for 3D print

oke that leaves me no choice other then to hack this edge connector from the everdrive
The everdrive v3 or x7 will not boot using a NUS-5101 cic as the bootloader does not support it, and Krikkz does not want to make a custom version to do so. I had tried this in the past, but also tried it again a few nights ago (installed 5101 cic into everdrive v3 (before ultracic-ii/iii was invented), and it does not boot).

Last edited:
A custom solution is required in order to play all the Aleck64 titles. The cartridge you are tinkering with "PCB-2A" from Vivid Dolls, has 3 chips on it. Upon closer inspection and some google, you'll find that all three chips are propriety, unique parts that cannot be purchased.

NUS-ZSAJ = Maskrom, it has pins labeled as AD0 to AD15, ALEL, ALEH, /RD -- where as a standard memory chip has A0 to A31, D0 to D15, /CE, /OE. So this is why a fpga or additional logic is required, as the nus maskrom uses ALE (address latch enable), which means the n64 cpu provides the data address on AD0 to AD15 in two parts (ALE, low, high) to make 32bits. It then strobes the /RD signal and the data is output on AD0 to AD15. Each time the /RD signal is strobed an internal address counter increases so the cpu is able to consecutively request up to 256 words of data.

BK4D-NUS = also known as BU9850. 4 kilobits (64 words * 64 bits = 512 bytes), serial eeprom that uses a custom protocol.

CIC-NUS-5101 = This is a microcontroller that functions as the security lockout chip. There are many variants of the CIC, both for regions and specific games used on the retail N64. We didn't know how to properly emulate this chip until around 2016. Ironically, the 5101 is actually unique and slightly different from the algorithm that was used in the retail CICs.

So with that explained, you could use a donor for the BU9850 and CIC, but you still need a custom solution for the Maskrom. Which leaves you with may as well roll something custom for all three parts.

I'll show you in a few days what I've been working on :)

@brizzo

Wow brother you got me like watching a Houdini show! Thanx for explaining all most was abracadabra for now what you just said Haha but everyday I learn more thank you

well if your working on something . I better stop from here and let you take over as you are far more experienced then i am in the whole chips shizzle .

well if your working on something . I better stop from here and let you take over as you are far more experienced then i am in the whole chips shizzle .
Tinkering and playing around is how you learn. I think you should make yourself a cartridge adapter so you can play retail n64 games :)

@brizzo yes that’s what I’m planning to do. I order all the connectors etc so I can make one. Btw you got me curious on what you working on :)

can’t wait to see it

Oké so a new day a new update. :)

The aleck64 system boots n64 games that need the expansion pack like donkey Kong 64 with no extra . So that makes me think the extended memory is already build in the system

0D380C90-EDC5-490C-BCF0-C6A84E2D91D6.jpeg

As On the n64 you need on a few games the expansion pack or it wil not run.
That’s also I think why there is an enhanced image on most games look better on the rgb on the aleck as it always uses the highest setting that n64 games also benefit from of you have a ex pack.
So the aleck 64 looks more and more good in a way that it’s using arcade hardware and is almost same in price of you want to achieve the same on a n64 you have to get

n64 console
Expansion pack
Rgb mod
n64 to Jamma

beter get a aleck while you still can get them for 150 euro or so

I’m waiting on some parts to come in to try to make a plug and play adapter to work on your normal n64 card without any altering

Back