What's new
does this chassis require an isolation transformer and are you using one?

The chassis is a generic one from China, as far as I can tell. Can't find any info online by searching model numbers. The cab did not have a isolation transformer when it arrived. It also didn't have a ground wire on the incoming power cord. It had a janky-looking wiring setup, that could have been daisy-chained off another cab (had an outlet on the back in addition to the power cable to plug in).

The monitor had been running fine for weeks prior. I'm going to pull it out and see if something got bumped or snapped when I reoriented the cab. I opened a different thread for troubleshooting the monitor - https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/ok-baby-no-picture-and-chassis-is-a-mystery.27476/

[Edit: Chassis has been identified as a Yatta Model 988]

Last edited:
Hey everyone! Happy Thanksgiving!

Life intervened for a bit on this project, but I wanted to come back and provide an update.

First things first, with the help of some folks in the monitor support thread, I got the picture fixed on the chassis with a judicious replacement of a capacitor controlling the horizontal width.

replaced capacitor.jpg

Control Panel - I ordered a replacement CPO from https://arcadeartrepro.com/product/weche-ok-baby-cpo/ and I can say that I am happy with the delivered product. I will say be prepared to wait awhile, it took about 2 weeks before my order processed. However, shipping was great and it even came with a little card thing to smooth the CPO. I believe this is a small shop and customer support was great when I reached out.
PXL_20231101_172954007.jpg

After a nervewracking 15 minutes I had the overlay on, with a pretty good alignment.
PXL_20231101_195212526.jpg

PXL_20231101_202335546.jpg

I added a Noctua fan to the cab for some air flow and replaced the marquee light with a couple of led strips from amazon. They run on 12v so I was able to use power from the jamma loom I bought to hook it all in.
PXL_20231121_181637653.jpg

PXL_20231117_215825838.jpg

PXL_20231117_215836611.jpg

And with that... I'm done!!!
Really glad with how things turned out and I do indeed love this cab (and I will find a dedicated pcb that suits it soon, I promise). I almost got a 2nd one at auction recently, but didn't win.

I wanted to thank everyone here for following along and providing good advice on getting this thing up and running. I've learned a lot and my passion for this hobby is only growing.

P.S. One last pic of the next generation having a turn!
PXL_20231103_164745668.PORTRAIT.jpg

This came out great! I've always admired these little cabs and yours came out awesome!

I've worked on restoring a few Jaleco Pony mk4 (the cab the OK Baby is a clone of) and it could have been a nice cab if the plastic it's made of did not become that fragile. It quickly became a nightmare to work on, as all those screw inserts broke one after the other. I don't expect the ones supporting the weight of the front glass to survive very long.

Definitely not a cab I'd let children play with.

Alright, where did we leave off? Painting...

Trigger Warning: the following pictures contain material that may make you uncomfortable. If you do not wish to see subpar prepping, small imperfections, or things you would do better please avoid this post.
At this point I was/am still terrified of breaking anymore of the plastic on this machine so I took an approach of limited risk. I partially dissassembled the unit and only sanded the worst spots to get off gunk or smooth down gouges that I felt I could do safely.

(sanding revealing the hidden inner beauty of this cab)
PXL_20230926_235626190.jpg

I mentioned before that I had found videos claiming this spray paint did not require sanding. I did a test on the front panel to see how it looked.
PXL_20230927_000403852.jpg

Satisfied with this I removed the top/front of the cab, the side rubbers? and then taped up the rest before painting.
PXL_20230928_205910541.jpg
PXL_20230928_223408074.jpg

Tape removed:
PXL_20230929_002731046.jpg
PXL_20230929_002748433.jpg

)

Hi.
Could you tell me what brand and type of spray paint you used to paint it, without needing a primer?

Back