What's new
It’s almost like the doors were outsourced from someone else and simply fixed to the cabs in the main assembly factory. Photos are tough because printing places can adjust images to look how they think they’re meant to look. Then the type of lighting used to photograph the “whites” can really impact how it comes out in the image. I’m sure your end result will look mint though @Thomas

Pretty impressive progress so far! Love the writing up with all the info.

This picture of yours is the actual colour of the paint when they were new. I don’t believe they’re actually smoke stained. At least that’s exactly how mine looked - even on the areas that were protected from external elements - smoke and light etc.
736D92CA-5DDE-4AE2-9348-97786775A4C0.jpeg
Hello,
This frost white is the one with the color code NH-538?

https://www.paintscratch.com/content/images/swatches/Frost-White-1993-Honda-Civic-F5F5F1.jpg

Thanks!

Awesome resto, are you able to measure the dimensions of the communication port cover?
I have 2 blasts sitting here with them missing.

Does anybody know (or owns) what was supposed to be installed in the comm port and how it was connected internally?

The cabinet body had a lot of scuffs and scrapes all around so I used the color that I mixed for color matching to use as a touch up paint. I could have used the urethane paint that I sprayed with but the color isn't a perfect match, the paint is thin and difficult to apply with a brush, it dries too quickly, and needs to be sealed with clear coat. It might be okay without clear if I never get it wet but it wouldn’t be shiny enough. So using the enamel paint from the art store was best.

IMG_7503.JPG

Before doing the touch up paint I did a quick hand polish on the whole cabinet.

IMG_7485.JPG

Someone must have been in a hurry the day my cabinet was sprayed in the factory because there were several spots with little or no paint.

IMG_7012.JPG
IMG_7190.JPG

I used thin brushes for most areas. And a sponge for some spots.

IMG_7508.JPG
IMG_7879.JPG

The coin reject flap was looking gross so I tried soaking it in vinegar, then bleach, and neither had any effect. Then I soaked in hydrogen peroxide (Oreor 40 Volume Developer) out in the sun and that was successful. I had to leave it outside for two full days in direct sunlight when the outside temperature was over 100F to see a difference.

IMG_6708.JPG
IMG_7859.JPEG

Sponge "D", the foam strip along the instruction sheet glass, was badly discolored and worn so I removed it with Goof Off and a plastic spudger before I painted the control panel base.

IMG_7374.JPEG

I assume the original color was white but I replaced it with black foam. And the original thickness is 2mm but mine is 3mm which isn't a problem, but I needed to cut the width to 5mm. My new strip doesn't extend all the way to the metal pieces on the sides and the slight gap looks a little bad but this is how the original was.

IMG_7695.JPG

I originally bought a one player reproduction control panel but very quickly decided that I don't like it.

IMG_7019.JPEG

The art seems to be a new design based on a few different authentic panels and the start button looks very odd and naked sitting alone on the side of the panel. The entire right side of the panel is empty and doesn't look good to me. I should have paid more attention before ordering it. I also don't like having the controls in the center. I thought I would like a one player panel but it feels weird to me to sit in the center and have the controls in the center. And of course it's always nice having player two controls for co-op play. So I got a two player panel (with the original Blast City art design) from alberto1225.

IMG_7470.JPEG

For my Astro City I bought a new old stock panel complete with controls and wiring for a premium price on ebay mostly because I didn't want to deal with figuring out what I would need to buy to complete a two player reproduction panel (the Astro came with a one player panel and controls but I didn't want to reuse any of those parts). I have some arcade sticks for consoles but never bothered to change parts or find out what's in them, so last year when I bought these cabinets I didn't know what people were talking about when they said things like "JLF". For the Blast City I needed to figure out what JLF was among other things, and it was slightly complicated for someone with no knowledge of levers and buttons. After looking around online I learned that Sanwa basically only makes one lever (with a few variations), the JLF, and Seimitsu makes a line of different levers. For variety, I bought a Seimitsu LS-56 for the player one side and a Seimitsu LS-32 for the player two side. I'm reusing the wiring that came with my Blast and Net City and needed to move all the wires around on the JST plug for it to work correctly with the new levers. This was unexpected but not a problem. The next unexpected issue was a problem: one of the levers fit the alberto1225 panel but the other did not. (I also remember that one of the levers had an option between an S plate or flat plate and I still don't know what that's about. I suppose it changes the height of the lever placement.) I checked the three old panels that came with my cabinets and saw that there is no consistency for lever mounting. The reproduction panels are also different: the LS-56 doesn’t fit the alberto1225 panel but the LS-32 does. The LS-56 does, however, fit the one player Rbtamanini panel that I originally bought. The LS-32 may also fit if I use the S plate that he provided but I didn’t try. I looked around for an adapter and found a Flat Plate Converter made by Kowal that fits the LS-56 and mounts on the alberto1225 panel.

IMG_7764.JPEG
IMG_7793.JPEG
IMG_7888.JPEG

For buttons, it looks like Sanwa and Seimitsu each make one type of button in different sizes. They both offer screw on and snap in type buttons and I couldn't find any clear information on which is best for an arcade control panel. For variety (and for the colors) I bought Seimitsu buttons (screw on) for the player one side and Sanwa buttons (snap in) for the player two side. And the best in my opinion is screw on, because the snap in buttons warp the control panel overlay and are more difficult to install and remove.

I really like the LS-56 with Seimitsu buttons. It's a perfect combo for shooters. The lever feels tight and the short throw is great. And I like that the Seimitsu buttons take a little more effort to press compared to Sanwa buttons.

IMG_8032.JPG

While wiring the controls I took a look at the ground connections in the manual and realized my control panel base hinge wasn't grounded. The AMP UP connector for ground has two spots for wires but only one was connected. So I added a second for the hinge. The manual also shows a ground point for the coin box door frame but I don't have any wire connected to the frame and I don't see an easy way to add one. Maybe a mistake in the manual? My cabinet has a wire going to the coin mech door hinge then another to the coin reject housing. Maybe that's what should be printed in the manual. Or I'm misreading the diagram. I don't think it's necessary to ground the frame anyway since it's completely covered by the non-metal coin box housing.

IMG_7911.JPEG
IMG_7912.JPEG

Below are the ground locations:

HOT-1351 rear top panel, screw that attaches fluorescent light bracket to panel
HOT-20001 bolt on control panel
CQN-1055X control box hinge
CQN-1320x coin mech door
HOT-1202 coin box door frame (I think this is incorrect)

Parts shown in the earth wiring diagram:
HOT-1000 is the whole cabinet
HOT-10001 isn't found in the parts list but it's on the diagram as part of the coin meter area
HOT-1002 is the metal floor of the cabinet
HOT-1270 is the coin chute (mech) door assembly (door plus parts attached to it)
HOT-1350 is the fluorescent light assembly
HOT-1351 is the fluorescent light lid
HOT-1500 is the assembled control box
HOT-20001 is the assembled control panel 2L8B
HOT-1202 is the coin box door frame
CQN-1055X is the control box hinge
CQN-1320X is the coin chute (mech) door (metal door specifically, HOT-1270 is the door including other parts attached to it)

I had a difficult time getting the lock brackets to latch when closing the control panel box. I spent a bunch of time messing with it and couldn't get both sides to latch even with the control box top scraping against the front of the cabinet as I closed it. Eventually I got both sides to latch by bending the brackets forward slightly and by squeezing the top and bottom of the control panel box together when closing it. I don't know if this is normal or if it's another weird problem like I had with my monitor bezel not fitting.

IMG_7900.JPEG

Looking super nice!

It's funny that you don't like how the single player panel feels, out of my 8 cabs only one has a two player panel. That's the natural default for me now.

Looking super nice!

It's funny that you don't like how the single player panel feels, out of my 8 cabs only one has a two player panel. That's the natural default for me now.
Part of the reason is hand placement. When I'm playing alone, I feel more comfortable sitting in the center but have my hands over to the side on the player one controls. It's because these cabinets are small and I have long arms and like to sit as close to the screen as possible.

As I wrote previously, Gunbird 2 has terrible audio and fortunately someone found a fix for it not too long after I bought the game. I completed the fix for my board and the game sounds so much better now. Seems louder as well but that could be due to replacing the other capacitors on the board. If I set my volume control on the Blast at 50% it's too loud to enjoy.

More info: https://www.arcade-projects.com/thr...ment-wip-help-wanted.13212/page-5#post-311554

IMG_8217.JPG
InkedIMG_8215.jpg
InkedIMG_8235.jpg

Digikey parts I used (except the chip which is from ebay and seems to be the only place where it's available to purchase):

Part NumberManufacturer Part NumberDescription
R21P10ADCT-NDERJ-P06J100VRES SMD 10 OHM 5% 1/2W 0805
R23P10KADCT-NDERJ-P06J103VRES SMD 10K OHM 5% 1/2W 0805
R28P10KADCT-NDERJ-P06J103VRES SMD 10K OHM 5% 1/2W 0805
R31541-RCC08050000Z0EACT-NDRCC08050000Z0EARCC0805 0R0 ET1 E3
R33541-RCC08050000Z0EACT-NDRCC08050000Z0EARCC0805 0R0 ET1 E3
C4493-16034-1-NDUSV1V100MFD1TECAP ALUM 10UF 20% 35V RADIAL
C5493-16034-1-NDUSV1V100MFD1TECAP ALUM 10UF 20% 35V RADIAL
C6493-14724-1-NDULD1H010MDD1TDCAP ALUM 1UF 20% 50V RADIAL
C71276-6840-1-NDCL21B104KCFNNNECAP CER 0.1UF 100V X7R 0805
C81276-6840-1-NDCL21B104KCFNNNECAP CER 0.1UF 100V X7R 0805
C9493-16034-1-NDUSV1V100MFD1TECAP ALUM 10UF 20% 35V RADIAL
C10493-14724-1-NDULD1H010MDD1TDCAP ALUM 1UF 20% 50V RADIAL
CP361276-6840-1-NDCL21B104KCFNNNECAP CER 0.1UF 100V X7R 0805
CP411276-6840-1-NDCL21B104KCFNNNECAP CER 0.1UF 100V X7R 0805
U39YAC516-M

I have the original marquee for Gunbird 2 which is cool but it looks bad when the marquee light is on (plus my blue background has some scuffs and tears). I wanted something translucent so I bought a marquee from Arcade Marquee. I didn't do any fancy design work. I just placed a scan of the original Gunbird 2 marquee image on top of a scan of the Blast City blue background with the outer yellow lines removed and sent the file over to be printed.

IMG_7676.JPG

The marquee looks fine. It doesn't have the same rich blue paint-like quality of the original Blast marquee. And overall the print quality isn't as good as I hoped. But it still looks fine. Unfortunately I tried to wipe my fingerprints off with a little bit of alcohol after trimming the sides off, thinking it was laminated, and smeared the ink all over the left upper corner. So I needed to order another one.

IMG_7686.JPG

Original blue background below. The layer of ink is very thick and very smooth like paint. The color is rich and vivid.

IMG_7678.JPG

My second Gunbird 2 marquee came from Arcade Art Repro. The colors look off in the photo below but when the fluorescent light shines through, the colors look better (still looks off in my photo but I think that's just because of the phone I used to take it). Print quality is very nice and while the blue background doesn't have the paint-like quality of the original, the color is very close. It was also pre-cut so I didn't need to spend time trimming the edges and getting my fingerprints all over it.

IMG_8244.JPEG
IMG_0446.JPEG

I also bought a Strikers II marquee from Arcade Art Shop along with instruction cards. All very good print quality on par with Arcade Art Repro. I wasn't liking the look of the original Gunbird 2 instruction card placed over the blue Blast City Instruction Space card. I removed the Instruction Space card but that looks worse because the white of the control panel base under the glass appears darker (glass has a tint). And it looks odd like something is missing. So I took scans of the instruction cards, expanded them to fill the whole instruction space, and extended the color to the edges. I like it better this way. It's a cleaner look.

IMG_8196.JPG

IMG_0436.JPG

IMG_8246.JPEG

IMG_8197.JPEG

I decided to adjust the monitor to what I suppose is the correct aspect ratio for Psikyo games. Previously I set the monitor so that the games would fill the screen (3:4 ratio) but the circle test pattern was showing ellipses. Now I have circles, but I also have black bars on each side of the screen which exposes some of the convergence issues on the edges that I couldn't fix completely. It's not bad and I've learned to ignore it in favor of a correct aspect ratio.

IMG_8203.JPG
IMG_8214.JPEG

Always wanted to do this sort of thing to my cabs. So its cool to see you do it, thanks for sharing your experience!

The cabinet body had a lot of scuffs and scrapes all around so I used the color that I mixed for color matching to use as a touch up paint. I could have used the urethane paint that I sprayed with but the color isn't a perfect match, the paint is thin and difficult to apply with a brush, it dries too quickly, and needs to be sealed with clear coat. It might be okay without clear if I never get it wet but it wouldn’t be shiny enough. So using the enamel paint from the art store was best.

IMG_7503.JPG

Before doing the touch up paint I did a quick hand polish on the whole cabinet.

IMG_7485.JPG

Someone must have been in a hurry the day my cabinet was sprayed in the factory because there were several spots with little or no paint.

IMG_7012.JPG
IMG_7190.JPG

I used thin brushes for most areas. And a sponge for some spots.

IMG_7508.JPG
IMG_7879.JPG

The coin reject flap was looking gross so I tried soaking it in vinegar, then bleach, and neither had any effect. Then I soaked in hydrogen peroxide (Oreor 40 Volume Developer) out in the sun and that was successful. I had to leave it outside for two full days in direct sunlight when the outside temperature was over 100F to see a difference.

IMG_6708.JPG
IMG_7859.JPEG

Sponge "D", the foam strip along the instruction sheet glass, was badly discolored and worn so I removed it with Goof Off and a plastic spudger before I painted the control panel base.

IMG_7374.JPEG

I assume the original color was white but I replaced it with black foam. And the original thickness is 2mm but mine is 3mm which isn't a problem, but I needed to cut the width to 5mm. My new strip doesn't extend all the way to the metal pieces on the sides and the slight gap looks a little bad but this is how the original was.

IMG_7695.JPG
I've been wanting to touch up a couple spots on both of my Blasts.

Did you mask any of this before you brushed? Also curious if you could share which enamel paints you found that match.

Looks fantastic! Great posts, as always.

Back