Pinned Darksoft Neo Multi Help thread

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    • Hello All, I will do my best to be as detailed in my report and hope the issue can be resolved quickly. If I need to move parts or this whole post into other section, just let me know.

      Just so everyone knows, I am experienced in MVS and AES for many years. I am also very technical inclined and also a audio engineer by degrees and passion.

      Here is the hardware that I use, and all my bugs and issues come from:

      Environment: Home Arcade @ 72 F

      Enclosure: Dedicated Big Red US Neo Geo MVS Cabinet. (Built 10/25/90)

      System Board: MV-4FS Original Rom (new Battery replaced last month & Clock is set)

      Games & Slots: The DS-Multi has been in physical slot one, and physical slot four (with the same results). Slot two has my dedicated US original MVS kit of Metal Slug X, and my dedicated US original MVS kit of Samurai Showdown in slot three.
      DS Muiti MVS Virtual Slots: All games are from the roll up base pack. Slot 1 is Bust a Move Again, Slot 2 is Top Hunter, and Slot 3 is Fatal Fury Special

      Non Related Issue: Monitor – White spec lines going across the screen in different directions. I asked for help on this issue on this post here -> arcade-projects.com/forums/ind…ern-all-across-my-screen/

      ISSUE: Virtual Slots 2 & 3 do not run the game correctly or at all when cycling through the games with the game select button or when it is in auto demo rotation.

      DETAILS: Only the virtual slot number one on the DS-Multi seems to load fine when using the game selection button. All other games will just not run or load. Some example of games I am getting this on are Fatal Fury Special, Top Hunter, Word Heroes (all), and many more. If I have the boot menu come up and choose to boot to a game directly from the menu it works correct. Once it times out and goes to the next game, and then return back to it (or the game selection button is pressed), the same issue will happen all over again.

      MORE: This happens when the DS-Multi is in Slot 1,2,3, or 4 (with game in front or around it).

      Please see the attached images for what it the screen looks like at the failed game. Attached images also show what versions I am running and diag.

      Thanks for any help you guys can offer.!! :D
      Images
      • MVS- Game Not Loading2.jpg

        177.3 kB, 2,017×1,367, viewed 17 times
      • MVS- Game Not Loading.jpg

        435.36 kB, 1,943×1,463, viewed 22 times
      • 20190127_170737.jpg

        500.27 kB, 1,440×810, viewed 21 times
      • 20190127_170804.jpg

        630.38 kB, 1,500×844, viewed 19 times
    • The game select button on your cabinet does not select the game on the multi cart. You switch the game on the multicart buy holding left or right and start for three seconds. On a multi slot this will usually cause it to switch to the next cart in the motherboard (unless the multi is the only cart) but the next time you come around to the multi cart the next game will play.
    • Mitsurugi-w wrote:

      The game select button on your cabinet does not select the game on the multi cart. You switch the game on the multicart buy holding left or right and start for three seconds. On a multi slot this will usually cause it to switch to the next cart in the motherboard (unless the multi is the only cart) but the next time you come around to the multi cart the next game will play.
      Seriously? I would love a little more credit from you then this.... I fully understand how the board and cart are to work... however, when it comes around to the next cart in on the motherboard and it is the DS-Multi it just fails to load any game pre-selected in virtual slot 2 or three. I would have to have virtual slot 1 pre-selected for it to load the game. I am not asking for it to cycle through the virtual slots (but that would be super cool if it did too), I just wanted to load correctly the pre-selected game.
    • Mitsurugi-w wrote:

      Hmm. Sorry. I didn't understand what you were saying.

      Ok. So let's try taking every other cart out of the multi slot pcb but the multi so we can try to pinpoint the problem. Let's see if it's cycling to the other virtual slots properly at all.
      Yep. Just tried the DS-Multi in the 4 slot by it self and it works great on all three V-Slots.
    • Ok. So the multi cart is working as expected. The multi slot pcbs are picky about which slots the carts are put in. We used to have to rearrange the order of carts when we added a new game because some games would not work in a specific order. Really weird. Start adding one cart at a time until it happens again.
    • Mitsurugi-w wrote:

      Ok. So the multi cart is working as expected. The multi slot pcbs are picky about which slots the carts are put in. We used to have to rearrange the order of carts when we added a new game because some games would not work in a specific order. Really weird. Start adding one cart at a time until it happens again.
      Okay, just tried it and here are the results:

      [DS Mutli MVS] = Works fine (and runs all V-slots) as expected.

      [DS Mutli MVS] + [Normal Game] = Works fine (and runs all V-slots) as expected.

      [DS Mutli MVS] + [Normal Game] + [Normal Game] = Same Issue (it will hang for 30 secs or reboot)

      [DS Mutli MVS] + [Normal Game] + [Normal Game] + [Normal Game] = Same Issue (it will hang for 30 secs or reboot)

      Also tried putting the DS Multi MVS in slot 2, and 4 with other games around it and received the same issues.
    • Which regular carts are you using in which slots? I dont believe anything is wrong with your multi cart but I do think there is some interference happening due to some regular cart.

      I can try to reproduce it when I return from Japan. I only have a four slot for testing but havent encountered your issue yet.
    • Mitsurugi-w wrote:

      Which regular carts are you using in which slots? I dont believe anything is wrong with your multi cart but I do think there is some interference happening due to some regular cart.

      I can try to reproduce it when I return from Japan. I only have a four slot for testing but havent encountered your issue yet.
      I am doing something to help you guys and the community too. I am going through each game and putting a list together of the results of each game loading and running. I am half way through right now.

      But for your testing.... I have the DS Multi MVS in slot one, US Metal Slug X in slot two, and US Samurai Showdown in slot three.

      The post was edited 1 time, last by Chrisanne: Thank You very much Brentradio :P ().

    • Hi guys, sorry to bother, just a couple of quick infos: I am considering Darksoft MultiMVS and I read throught the topic and I'm not sure if the issues stated in the first post (games, Unibios) are software-related (therefore solvable, no matter when, no rush) or hardware related.

      if it's the first, I'll place the order. :)

      Thanks to everybody for your effort, love this community!
    • pedroTFP wrote:

      Hi guys, sorry to bother, just a couple of quick infos: I am considering Darksoft MultiMVS and I read throught the topic and I'm not sure if the issues stated in the first post (games, Unibios) are software-related (therefore solvable, no matter when, no rush) or hardware related.

      if it's the first, I'll place the order. :)

      Thanks to everybody for your effort, love this community!
      Yes, all the issues (of the few left. Make sure you check here:

      Darksoft's MultiMVS Latest Firmware, Menu and Instructions
      * Arcade-projects, the site where you get the most of your arcade games.
      * If you want Drama go to Neo-Geo forum ---Darksoft