What's new
Want To Buy
at $350 that cab is a very good buy. at $500-$600 pluss needing to buy a panel plus needing a "cap kit" (this is the first time I've ever heard anyone call it a "cap job") you're entering the range of "that's the going rate"/"I need to decide if I really want THIS cab or a different one"

the thing with arcade machines is that the very good deals will be available for hours, not days. so you need to be diligent in checking for new listings, plus ready to go check them out the same day.

Personally I wouldn't go out of my way to buy an Aero City, the control panel is a bit cramped and I think they're a bit on the ugly side. But if I had the option to buy one for $350 I would just because that's a good deal. At $500 I would leave it for someone who specifically wants an "Aero City" and I wouldn't be trying to snake it out from under another buyer by over paying.

That's why I was suggesting going to see it with cash on hand. If it's as described and you like it, offer $350-400 cash and have it in your hand on the spot, a seller is always going to be more motivated and negotiable when an a deal is in front of them rather than waiting to see if the other person shows up.

Particularly in a case like this where the seller has pointed out they need the money, I'd be willing to suggest that this other buyer offering $500 may not really exist and the seller is trying to extract more money out of other potential buyers..

Personally I prefer the Astro, but the Aero is still a good unit if you can get it for the right price and in the right condition

Thank you everyone for all of your input! Will let you know the outcome soon!!!

Oh and since you are all experts on this subject, if I want the cab to be able to hold like 4 or 5 games, I was told I need something called a CPS2 Multikit? Is that correct? I just want to know how I can be able to play a few games, but definitely not one of those Pandora's Box things, I want to get the actual boards, but not have to switch them out each time. That's what these Cab's were made for, right?

you will have to switch the boards out each time. these cabs are not designed for multiple games, but they are designed to make switching boards as easy as possible. Basically you open a door on the front of the cab, unplug the current game board and remove it, then plug in the new one and close the door. Depending on the cab there may or may not be room to store multiple games inside at once so all you'd have to do is move the JAMMA connector.

The caveat is that there are some arcade game boards that allow for swapping out games like cartridges on a console. Capcom's System 2 hardware (CPS2 for short) is one of these. This is also the hardware that plays games like Street Fighter II and Marvel vs Street Fighter.
Darksoft makes what's called a "Multi Kit" that plugs into this hardware and allows you to play all of the CPS2 games on the one board.

if you want to know more about the CPS2 hardware and what games were made for it you can go here: http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=795

The multi kit lets you play all of the games on original hardware so it's not a Pandora'a Box style solution but it's a hell of a lot more convenient (and cheaper) than owning the whole CPS2 library as original boards.

I personally have 6 CPS2 boards that are original and still run a battery which I have replaced as well as the multi, but at least the multi gives you the option of owning originals of boards that you really want to have, while also being able to play the entire library.

twistedsymphony: Thank you for your input, so you're saying that these cabs are designed to switch games easily. So my next question is, what do I need to play Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter? That is the one game that I must be able to get a hold of, because it is my boyfriend's favorite game from when he was little. Do I just go on e-Bay and buy that CPS2 and that is the game? Like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marvel-Supe...851648?hash=item1ec1a54100:g:svwAAOSw2xRYftcs

xodaraP: Thank you for your input, can you send me a link to one so I can read more about it? I still don't get it... sorry I'm sucha noob...lol

Yes that auction would have been what you needed if it hadn't already sold. The CPS2 system the Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter is on, has the cartridge (or B-board) and the motherboard (or A-board). You need both. The B-board can b switched to play other games like you would a home console that used cartridges. But as was said earlier you can convert any B-board by installing Darksoft's CPS2 multi kit and play EVERY CPS2 game on that one pcb.

If you were in Australia I have a Marvel vs Street Fighter board running my Darksoft multi board :) it's a fairly popular game so you should be able to find the board

Link for information on the multi board is above, you do still require a CPS2 motherboard from any game as the multi replaces the ROMs that would normally be installed

That eBay auction was fairly expensive... you should be able to pick up the game cheaper than that, especially if you find a suicided board and then I'm sure a U.S. member can help with decrypted ROMs or you can run the multi on it ;) if you were the one who bought it, great you have what you need and a platform for the multi if you want it

Last edited:
Thanks guys! I think I understand now, finally! So the CPS2 is basically 2 components, the A board which is the Motherboard, and the B board which is the actual game. Right? So I would need to get a CPS2, and then I can play the games that are compatible with that, like Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter. So another question I have is, since xodaraP said that that auction was fairly expensive (and no it wasn't me who bought it), should I just buy a CPS2 individually and then the game board individually?

e-Bay auction for CPS2: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CPS2-A-BOAR...116306?hash=item4b125521d2:g:PDcAAOSwTuJYq6T7
Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter B Board: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marvel-Supe...694877?hash=item237d754d5d:g:d4AAAOSwopRYcwLU

should I just buy a CPS2 individually and then the game board individually?
You will likely pay more going the individual route.
Best to find a A+B combo for sale complete and ready to go.

If you are looking to make a multicart, I would suggest buying a complete working Marvel vs. Capcom (A+B).
It will make the instillation of Darksoft's kit easier.

I'm probably the only person who will tell you this BTW, most are against the destruction of original B-boards.
FYI if you didn't already know... The installation of the kit requires the removal of the battery (this breaks the original game in a way that only a few can repair).

Shaeri87- I have a Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter board I have been considering selling. It has been in my collection for 15 years and I just changed its' battery a couple of weeks ago. I also have a Motherboard to go along with it. Both are USA versions. Also have an X-men Vs. SF.
I am in Burbank and would prefer to deal in person, PM me and we can talk about it if you are interested.

Jassin000 already mentioned it, but as a reminder you would still need a Kick Harness like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arcade-kick...513099?hash=item4b08a4010b:g:hWMAAOSwQiRUqhij

One other thing, if you get that particular cab and change the control panel for SF you will need six more buttons. I think I have some in my stash I could give you.

jassin00: Thank you for telling me! Appreciate it!

Otheym: Cool!!! Okay will do, thank you.

My advice buying I'm assuming your first candy cab, is to be patient for the right machine. Living in southern California, there are a lot more machines than any other part of the states. I moved to NH for two years, and I think I ended up being the only owner out there. Jassin will tell you that it can be quite a desert for machines. I agree that the aero city has a smaller profile but it is a simple enough layout and operation. For versatility, if you want to do the most with one machine look up anything with a "Tri-sync" monitor such as my Sega Blast City or the Sega New New City. Those are two of the best machines I have played in multiple gamerooms. My monitor after being adjusted will stand up to most 15khz monitors I have seen in person, so don't let people automatically tell you the tri-sync will suffer on the lower setting. Also, some of these monitors have an automatic adjustment for easy use. Sega cabs have arguably the most spare parts available and hold the most fair pricing compared to other manufacturers. I suggest staying away from Taito cabs like the Egret II. They are double the price and I think my local buddies bought up every stupid part they could find over the years.

A question for the Candy Guru's here:

When I mentioned earlier I may have had some buttons, turns out I only have screw in type (regular Happ style).
I see in the pics that Aero has push in type.

What buttons normally comes on the Aero? Sanwa? Seimitsu?

Where is a good place to source the same style buttons so they match?

Thanks.

Generally candy cabs use a metal panel with snap in buttons but you could use screw in if you wanted for whatever reason

Sanwa and Seimitsu are your 2 big manufacturers, I prefer Sanwa buttons but Seimitsu sticks. I bought mine directly from Japan from akishop :) in the US you have a couple of really good previously mentioned suppliers so you're good to go

Very cool idea for your boyfriend, he will be happy for sure!

I HIGHLY recommend the CPS2 Darksoft Multicart. This allows you to have EVERY CPS2 game made all on one game board.

You would need:

The working arcade cabinet
The CPS2 A board
The CPS2 B board
The Darksoft CPS2 multikit

Good luck and please post picks when you get it going!

Oh, and welcome to the forums.

:D

You can get the Darksoft CPS2 multikit from here:

https://paradisearcadeshop.com/522-multi-pcbs

I would recommend getting the kit soon as these do sell out fast, and you would have to wait for another batch to be made and shipped to the States.

Thank you everyone above for your input! Seriously appreciate all the help!

I will be needing to get a Panel for the 6 Button configuration, so I guess I have to order from: http://www.rs2006.co.jp/e/conpane/index.html --> JPY11,570, unless someone knows where I can get one locally, that would be ideal.

Then I need to pick out some buttons. Also, I want to get the panel customized so that it has some artwork on it maybe, because those Aero panels are kinda boring, IMO. Anyone know where I can get that done? Someone had mentioned in a previous thread that being in Southern California, someone might be able to cut the panel here, but I don't know where I would start looking for someone who does that.

In terms of the Darksoft Multikit, I will need to watch that video on the link, and learn more about it. I can see why going this route will save a lot of money, than buying individual game boards.

Oh, and should I go ahead and just order the Kick Harness before I actually get the Cab, or should I wait? Will this one work for sure? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arcade-kick...513099?hash=item4b08a4010b:g:hWMAAOSwQiRUqhij

Last edited:
Oh, and should I go ahead and just order the Kick Harness before I actually get the Cab, or should I wait?
I'd wait. Only because if you don't get that Aero and end up with another cab it's entirely likely it will already have a kick harness installed, it's pretty commonly part of the wiring. The Aero is an exception since it's standard with only 3 buttons. No point in wasting money.

Also, that harness you linked is wired with connectors for American style buttons. Where it says ".187 Quick Disconnects" the .187 is the size. If you're getting a candy cab you're going to be using Japanese buttons, and those take .110 connectors.

I'll be totally honest, if I were you I'd pass on that Aero. They're great cabs, but not ideal for what you're looking for, and I'm not surprised at the bidding war, it was listed super cheap. A bunch of us saw it when it went up, but none of us have room for more cabs. :P

I say not ideal for a few reasons. One, it's quickly turning into less than a steal with the price increase. The cap kit stuff is fine, happens all the time, but price going up + needs work isn't great. And more importantly, it's just not a great cab for 6 button fighters. The control panel isn't set for 6, you have to find a replacement and that's a pain, but even if you do that, get the buttons and kick harness etc, you have to factor in the size.

Aero city control panel is significantly narrower than a standard panel. Maybe 6". That means for 2 player gaming you're really rubbing elbows, not ideal for fighters.

It's not hard to get candies in SoCal, I'm confident we can find you something better.

Back