What's new
If I apply this firmware - what version shows up for the media board? I am currently at 1.15.

Thanks!

Matt

Hi guys .. when I sold one of my outrun 2 cabs a while back I kept my original OR2sp flash drive so I could install it into my other cab.. I didn't realise the Chihiro would need a update to work with it .. whats the best way to update it? I have no gd-rom drive only the Chihiro type 3 and the original or2sp flash kit
thanks for your help

Upgrade with Netboot.
But this firm is a bit different, it's hacked to use non original CF cards.

thanks for the reply im not too clued up on netbooting is there a guide on how I can do it? cheers

The easiest way is to grab a raspberry pi and piforce tools... I find the web fork of this easy to use:

https://github.com/dev-tty0/Piforce-Web

Follow those instructions and you will need to get the right FW version and modify the csv file on the image to "load" the firmware.

Matt

Can someone help me with this?

I have to fall on my sword and say I understand alot of things arcade wise, but I have zero experience with Chihiro systems. I had a friend recap my system and replace the fan. I also asked him to update the firmware and convert me over to a CF or SSD solution. My cab is an Outrun 2 and I was hoping to be able to upgrade to Outrun 2 SP.

We however cannot the zero key we are using (net boot one) to work with the Compact Flash. Apparently they are different? We've tried a myriad of different compact flash boot keys on PICs and didn't really get anywhere.

Could someone take a little pity on this guy (me) and help me out? Give us a little direction or give us the steps to make this work?

Thank you so much in advance!

What is happening exactly - the one you have works fine with netboot - but not with CF? If it doesn't work with CF - what are the symptoms?

The reason I ask is because I have one that seems to work fine with both netboot and CF.

Matt

I hear you @werejag - but I can guarantee you that my Chihiro with it's zero key is able to netboot WMMT2 and play it, or load it off CF and play it - all w/o changing the PIC.

I'm sort of playing middle man to the guy helping me with this. But he's having trouble making the image. I currently have a valid sega key for outrun 2 and we have the same problem when we create the compact flash image. The decrypted binaries for outrun 2 sp and a zero/null key don't work either.

I showed my friend your replies and this was his response - "

"I was under the impression that there were 2 chips
netboot and CF
imo i believe it's not the PIC
but the compact flash itself
that's where I'm stalling"

It's the compact flash solution that isn't working for him, so I doubt it's his netboot code?
I also was under the impression that the security pic for netboot and compact flash are different.

I know official firmware is only able to use a specific brand of compact flash cards.
Maybe the firmware update didn't succeed and that's causing the issue? (As the problem is posted here I assume they did a firmware upgrade to this version)

So, what firmware version is it showing? What error is it showing in compact flash mode?

I always get an error 25 can't access the gd rom drive. Anyone got the same error and fixed the problem. I used different cards, installed an XP PC with ide card reader to get the right number and spent days with try and error but was not able to solve it. I also bought a special cf Pic for my chihiro type 3. Maybe someone could help me. Thanks

"Error 25" means that your CF reader is not even recognized by your mother board.
Please check :
- if your CF reader is correctly powered (you can try to power it with a external ATX PSU)
- if it is configured in "master" (and not "Slave")

I tried external psu nothing changes still error 25 if I change the jumper between master / slave I get error 24 which means gd rom not found. I also tried two different card reader but it's still the same problem.

Does the error come up right away at startup, or do you see some activity like (loading a game) before it shows that error 25?

Have you tried without cf card (even without cardreader) connected? Does that give you the same error?

I can try it out this evening within 4 - 6 hours.

What brand and size of cf card are you using?

Are you sure your cf2ide adapter supports dma transfer? Some older ones don't.

Iam not at home so I can't test it. Have to take a closer look when iam back after Easter holiday. I think I bought the right card reader. When the chihiro boots up it goes directly to error 25 or error 24 depends on the master/slave jumper on the cf2ide adapter..

Last edited:
Back