What's new
Is there anyway to tell what kind of cart I have. Recently bought and it came allready loaded with 3rd strike. No cd or any other scsi attached. It runs and plays fine. I really don't plan to change the game as of now. Just wanted to know before I attempted to write something and botched it up lol. Thanks

Usually it's STANDARD SH2 version. You can never botch up anything to be honest. Give STANDARD SH2 version a try first

Is there anyway to tell what kind of cart I have. Recently bought and it came allready loaded with 3rd strike. No cd or any other scsi attached. It runs and plays fine. I really don't plan to change the game as of now. Just wanted to know before I attempted to write something and botched it up lol. Thanks

You're best to open it up to find out 100%

The general guideline is as djsheep mentioned, but there are some cases where the "custom sh2 chip" of the original was replaced by a "Standard SH2 chip". I believe people do this so the "4th strike" can be used?

Customs will look like this:

2TrPhvLl.jpg

While Standard will have "SH2" on the big chip like this:

1673411609694.png

It would be great to know which cart you have there. Also please let us know which region are you running. It shows up on boot on the screen.

Yeah the region never shows up. Just boots to this screen

Attachments

• 20230111_093813.jpg
    20230111_093813.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 101
  • 20230111_093841.jpg
    20230111_093841.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 89
My guess is that you have a genuine cart that's been converted to the NoCD UltraBIOS and the SIMMs have been programmed for NoCD Third Strike. This seems to be a common thing lately with resellers. I'm guessing there's no CD drive or SCSI2SD connected at the back?

If you have a security screwdriver to open up the cart (slide the case out to be careful not to break the tabs) to show the front and back of the PCB that should let us know if it's custom or standard. Almost 99% sure it would be custom.

My guess is that you have a genuine cart that's been converted to the NoCD UltraBIOS and the SIMMs have been programmed for NoCD Third Strike. This seems to be a common thing lately with resellers. I'm guessing there's no CD drive or SCSI2SD connected at the back?

If you have a security screwdriver to open up the cart (slide the case out to be careful not to break the tabs) to show the front and back of the PCB that should let us know if it's custom or standard. Almost 99% sure it would be custom.
You are correct. No scsi or cd. So if I wanted to write some other games I would have to flash the bios?

I also have this other cart. Is this standard sh2? Waiting on the scsi and just want to make sure I get right iso.

Attachments

• 20230111_094110.jpg
    20230111_094110.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 98
  • 20230111_094103.jpg
    20230111_094103.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 110
I also have this other cart. Is this standard sh2? Waiting on the scsi and just want to make sure I get right iso.
whats in your picture is a piece of plastic with a sticker on it.

you will need to open the cart shell and look at the chip on the PCB in order to tell which SH2 it has.

You are correct. No scsi or cd. So if I wanted to write some other games I would have to flash the bios?

You can use the NoCD BIOS with UltraSIMMS and select the game using DIP switches, however that kit is out of stock at retail for the moment.

You will need to re-flash the BIOS with the regular UltraBIOS and then you can change games using a CD drive or SCSI2SD (or alternative).

@ShootTheCore offers a trusted and well priced cart conversion service in the US: https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/cpiii-bios-upgrade-service.16105/

You can use the NoCD BIOS with UltraSIMMS and select the game using DIP switches, however that kit is out of stock at retail for the moment.

You will need to re-flash the BIOS with the regular UltraBIOS and then you can change games using a CD drive or SCSI2SD (or alternative).

@ShootTheCore offers a trusted and well priced cart conversion service in the US: https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/cpiii-bios-upgrade-service.16105/
Thanks alot dude! I figured that's what I needed to do

Reactions: idc
Just for clarity, the UltraBIOS code can be used with regular SIMMs (non UltraSIMM) too?

Can also confirm this 100%

I've got both cd and nocd Ultrabios with a regular simm setup

Back