What's new
@Derick2k, how did you get the relay reset mod working or did you find it was included in the PiDim image?
Im just getting around to it, finally got the touchscreen kit in, so will be testing over the next few days. I want to finish these N2 setups, I have a one system going to a fellow member in a Australia as a gift and another one to @8bitforlife I finally got his N2 modded and ready to go, but this touchscreen image is nice so thats getting done for him.
thanks= you @Derick2k did you need another blast city speaker case before i chuck it?
If he doesn't want it I'll take it --- I've been meaning to mess with re-foaming speakers.

Hey! Thanks for replying! (Don't know why my email didn't alert me that you had responded earlier.) It does not show anything after the game is loaded. I have tried several games that were preloaded on the card that looked like they were us versions. (The Japanese ones all have JP in them.) Although the Pi netboot came from Europe, so maybe they aren't US versions? I have been trying like mad to find the 4.01 or 4.02 updates online because they didn't come loaded on my SD card with the games. Every link I have found is dead.

If I remember well, I got my update bin from this site. I believe a person called gakman posted the link to some bin's here.

The 4.01 and 4.02 are naomi netdimm firmware revisions. On chihiro numbering it will show 4.00 after the update.

There is a method to change the chihiro region. It's jumper needs to be set to netboot and it needs a netboot security pic. If it's set on the test info screen you need to press the filter board service button several times (20 or something) It will show the region. After another number of presses, it will allow to change that. (Might not be the exact procedure)

If you have the blank screen after game loading and you press the test button, does it give you the test menu? Have you tried a dimm ramtest to ensure your dimm memory is working correctly?

I will definitely try the region thing. I have done the dimm test and it does pass. I will also try and find that update. I will let you know! Thanks!

Those updates are ONLY for TYPE 3 consoles. If you try on a type1, you can brick it.

He said he had a type 3 and the picture he showed also stated DIMM BOARD (Type 3)
It's indeed Darksoft who posted that image and not Gakman. My mistake.

I assume that version is still the one that needs the compact flash card prepared specially and not the latest one that came out and caused a bit of confusion?

Yes. 100% it is a Type 3 Chihiro. That part I have definitely confirmed. I tried changing the region and then tried loading different games that were labeled that region, but I still get the Error 31 every single time. It fully loads the game and the Chihiro reboots and then gives the Error 31. I just saw your post and link. Is that made to be able to netboot and update? I did happen to find a 4.02 bin and tried to load that, but it seems to load from the PI, but then nothing happens on the Chihiro. It just act like it is still waiting on the game to load (actually still says "loading game" on the screen, but it shows it totally uploaded on my Pi's mini screen. I do have my computer close enough to my Chihiro that I could possibly try loading something from here rather than from the Pi to experiment, but I am not sure. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If there are any other screen shots/pics that I could give that may help, please let me know!

when you "load" the 4.02 bin it should bring up a screen that shows you what your current FW version is, and confirm that you want to move to 4.02. If you don't see that, then it didn't load. I am looking to see if I can find my 4.02bin file.

I'm having an issue during my first time hooking this thing up. I've got the system booting but under the Naomi logo on startup it says GD ROM system instead of network system. When I try to send a game to the machine i get error 25.

The game I'm trying to send is cvs2 to a Naomi 1.

I've got the system inside a new net city.

I'm dumb. It was in GD-ROM mode, which didnt know existed until just now. Switched the jumpers and it now boots into network mode. The problem of sending the game failing still persists though. Here's how to do the jumpers: http://8bitplus.co.uk/projects/netboot-sega-naomi-netdimm/

Now it just says "checking network connection..."

Last edited:
I'm having an issue during my first time hooking this thing up. I've got the system booting but under the Naomi logo on startup it says GD ROM system instead of network system. When I try to send a game to the machine i get error 25.

The game I'm trying to send is cvs2 to a Naomi 1.

I've got the system inside a new net city.
Your jumpers are set wrong on the NetDIMM. Set it up like this:
NetDimm_Jumpers_conf.png

EDIT: Well, now that we have the NetDIMM in Netboot mode, what's left is to go into test mode and change the IP settings.

Actually, how ARE you transferring games to it? A Pi? PC?

Last edited:
EDIT: Well, now that we have the NetDIMM in Netboot mode, what's left is to go into test mode and change the IP settings.

Actually, how ARE you transferring games to it? A Pi? PC?
A pi.

Just set the settings to:

Then ran a network check which says:
Program ver: 4.02
DIMM STATUS: GOOD
ETHER MODE
CHECKING NETWORK
REMOTE DISABLE
LOOPBACK: GOOD
GATEWAY: N/A
SERVER: N/A
COMPLETED

Also pinged my netdimm from the pi and got unreachable

Last edited:
I THINK the Pi defaults to sending an image to 192.168.1.2. Set your Netdimm to that in the test menu and try sending the game again.

What error are you getting now?

EDIT: Never mind, just saw your edit.

I don't think your settings took on the NetDIMM. You have to hit "Set" before it'll apply. Gateway should be set to 192.168.1.1.

What error are you getting now?

EDIT: Never mind, just saw your edit.

I don't think your settings took on the NetDIMM. You have to hit "Set" before it'll apply. Gateway should be set to 192.168.1.1.
My pi is saying IP 192.168.1.2. still should set DIMM to 192.168.1.1?

I hit set.

Sometimes I'm getting an error that the game isn't compatible with the main board but thats not possible since the game never sends.

For clarification, I haven't changed the dimm IP to 1.1 yet. Playing some mvc2 for a bit to "test" controls and stuff lol

I seem to recall there being a gateway setting, which should be 1.1. The IP of the NetDIMM should be 1.2.

The "Not compatible with main board" is a fairly generic error, depending on what game you're sending, or it could just be that it's not seeing a game at all.

1. Make sure you have the netdimm to the ip address the pi is expecting.
2. Try to ping that ip. If it fails, needless to try something different.
3. Gateway shouldn't matter as long as it's in the same subnet as the pi ip and netdimm ip.
So if pi is 192.168.1.x than Gateway should be 192.168.1.y

It basically shouldn't matter, but I sometimes here about people having issues with the pi ethernet auto negotiation.
So maybe a crossover cable will work better than a straight network cable.
I know people will say it shouldn't matter on modern devices as they should detect automatically if a straight or crossover connection is needed, but apparently sometimes the pi is having trouble with it.
If you have a switch or router and only straight cables, you can connect that between the pi and netdimm with the straight cables.
If it's a router, only use 2 of it's lan ports and not the wan port.

Last edited:
Back