What's new
Test fit went well. I'll probably make a adjustment to the bottom of the case where the JAMMA edge is for slightly better clearance. I decided to skip a fan solution since I can just mount one on the DE-10 Nano directly using the existing screw posts and a printed adapter, or use one of those 25mm fan/heatsink/thermal pad combo Raspberry Pi coolers.

Kinda wish the screw holes on the top weren't so deep, but I couldn't avoid that if I wanted to make a support-less model (I guess I could raise the corners and split the glamor line, but I don't wanna :P). The case is pretty oversized due to the included HDMI and power cable, but that doesn't bother me all that much, and shortening the case in whatever flavor of 3D modeling software should be a trivial task. I'll probably throw the STL on Thingiverse once I finalize the model.

20210922_185448.jpg

Oh , that looks pretty darn nice. Definitely looking forward to the files. :thumbup:

Got mine up and running! Looks awesome! Unfortunately I don't have a CPS2 harness, just a CPS1. But I'm getting an adapter soon, so for the time being it's 3 button games only. I was having the Sync Lock thing happen, but then realized I had forgotten to follow the step to make the 4 changes to the ini.

Once I fixed that -boom. Awesome stuff @invzim !!

@invzim Could I please ask for an update to the documentation, stating what the A and B button are for? I might have missed it, but I don't see it stated anywhere.

Buttons working and twisting the cables helped :) though it doesn’t remember my last core setting it seems

@invzim Could I please ask for an update to the documentation, stating what the A and B button are for? I might have missed it, but I don't see it stated anywhere.

I think this would be helpful. Maybe just an overhead picture with each switch circled and labelled 1. 2. 3. etc and a small text list underneath. I grabbed a picture from online and added some numbers. Feel free to provide info on the functions of each thing and i'll update the list. I haven't even tuned mine on yet, still waiting for ram so i took this info from posts here and irkens site. Let me know if you can fill in the blanks.

This will help cut down on what does X/Y/Z button do i think! Hopefully educate some more people on what each thing actually does.

expander.jpg

1. RCA AUDIO OUTPUTS: Stereo left and right audio outputs. Red = right channel / White = left channel (these only work when 3 is switched to RCA)

2. VOLUME ADJUSTOR: Controls the output volume for sound via the JAMMA EDGE CONNECTOR ONLY, NOT line level audio via RCA.

3. RCA / JAM AUDIO SWITCH: RCA = Stereo audio output via the RCA connectors line level. JAM = Amplified audio via the jamma edge, downsampled from stereo.

4, LITTLE RED BUTTON: Unused, only used for initial programming of unit. Just leave it be.

5. JAM / CHAM SWITCH:
--JAM = (JAMMA) 5 buttons via the edge connector, button 6 will be via the cps2 harness. You can also get buttons 4/5 from CPS3 harness.
--CHAM = (CHAMMA) All 6 buttons can be obtained via the jamma edge connector. If you set this mode but don't have chamma wiring, button 6 will always be stuck on.

6. CPS2 HARNESS: Connect your cPS2 wiring harness here to wire up button 4/5/6 ( or just 6 if your cab is wired for buttons 4/5 to the jamma edge)

7. MICRO SD CARD SLOT: Used for saving settings, firmware updates, , storing debug logs when needed.

8+9. A / B BUTTONS: These are used to navigate the settings on the OLED screen

10. ENA / DIS USER LOCK SWITCH: This enables lock mode which prohibits and changes being saved? ENA = Enables lock mode and stops any changes being saved (it will show on oled disaply when this is enabled) DIS = Disables lock mode and allows changes to be saved.

Hope someone finds this useful!

Last edited:
Should I get video if the usb is unplugged? Only get video if the usb is connected to the expander. I wanted to briefly connect usb hub with keyboard..
No you will not get an image. All the electronics except the audio amplifier on the Expander is powered via the USB cable. It's a little kludgy, but if you use a USB extension cable, you can connect the expander to a hub. Intended design goal is that a keyboard should not be needed.

Just got mine in today! Im setting up a new SD card as I type this but I'm curious (and I probably missed it somewhere on this thread) - what is the SD card slot for on the actual expander? Firmware updates, I wager?
The SD card is for saving settings, firmware updates, , storing debug logs when needed etc.

How are you guys connecting a USB keyboard to the DE 10 nano?

I'm up to the part where i need to have a keyboard connected to hit F12 and open the menu to configure wifi and update, but this thing has no USB ports on it and i don't have any kind of USB to whatever port i need adaptor. So is this an extra thing people need to take into account to set this up? Make sure you get a USB to mini usb adaptor so you can run this step via a keyboard? Just wondering if there's something i'm missing here.
I used a micro to usb female adapter, but pressing f12 and left did not bring me to a place I could edit the config. So I just put the sd card in my computer and manually set the four settings in the mister_example.ini and then renamed it to mister.ini.

How are you guys connecting a USB keyboard to the DE 10 nano?

I'm up to the part where i need to have a keyboard connected to hit F12 and open the menu to configure wifi and update, but this thing has no USB ports on it and i don't have any kind of USB to whatever port i need adaptor. So is this an extra thing people need to take into account to set this up? Make sure you get a USB to mini usb adaptor so you can run this step via a keyboard? Just wondering if there's something i'm missing here.
https://irkenlabs.com/jamma-expander/operation
1pstart + right = F12

It's way easier to set the MiSTer up on a desk though, and then move it to a cab once things are up and running,
https://irkenlabs.com/jamma-expander/mister-installation

You only need hdmi + usb + ethernet to set it up, all of which the DE10 has without the jamma expander. I'm not 100% sure if this is what you're getting at though.

THanks, i missed that.

But to set it up on a desk i'm going to need a mini usb to regular USB adaptor for my keyboard right? Because i have no other IO boards for mister. It's fine i'll just buy one, just want to make sure that will make the keyboard work and i don't need one of the other IO boards with the full sized USB ports for that. It probably seems dumb but this is the first ime i've touched mister so i'm learning!
Use the supplied OTG cable for keyboard while setting up the MiSTer.

I did my setup as Invzim suggested.

Use LCD monitor via hdmi on the DE10
Network connection
Keyboard with micro USB to OTG cable supplied
Prepped SD card with Mr. Fusion, etc...
Did all the updating and then ini settings, etc...
All worked without a problem, went smooth

So...
I powered the de10 directly with its supplied psu
HDMI out to LCD
Supplied MicroUSB to OTG cable to Keyboard
Prepped SD card to DE10
(all while it was mounted to the Jamma Expander, but you can really prep the DE10 ahead of time on its own, then just mount to the expander and you are good to go)

The one issue I had was:
I tried a cheapy like $4 no-name keyboard and it didn't work with the mister, lol, although it works with other pc/systems. Then I tried one of the better-known brand keyboards and it worked just fine.

Last edited:
Cool, I was thinking the same thing to upload an image of the preloaded/set up SD card, but Im using 512gb card, not sure how the image will compress, etc..plus I still want to test a few things if I do it :)

Intended design goal is that a keyboard should not be needed.
I'm still new to Mister. I'm playing with the release candidate of the Mistercade, and I don't want to compare it too much to your product, I'm not in a position to do so. But I am running a Mister in cabs now. My experience so far is that it's necessary to have that keyboard at times. Not for operational use once things are 'perfect', but for setup.

If you do a revision to your board I'd keep that in mind, I think it is a bit of a shortcoming.

Fedex romania or internarional or whatever liars . Nobody asked me any documents who can help them to make clearence in customs … anyway , package is now in otopeni airport custom office , lets see how much will take to go out from there . I called today more 2 hours uninterruped from 2:30pm till 4:55pm and nobody answer

Attachments

• 093C576A-60D7-4898-9F38-3AC263C0F4EA.jpeg
    093C576A-60D7-4898-9F38-3AC263C0F4EA.jpeg
    57.7 KB · Views: 48
Back