What's new
I can burn these for you - do you have the EPROMs already?
Yeah, I'd need the EPROMS too. Is that something you can provide or should I source them.

I'm also sorta thinking about buying an eprom burner but I only occasionally need to burn an eprom so I don't know if I should spend the money on one or not.

I need a couple of these pcbs , I haven’t been around for a bit happy to see someone made them , pm me if you can hook me up

So I have KI coming to me soon and also a non-working KI2 board coming to me. I kinda want to dual boot this thing but that custom pcb would have been a nice solution to add since it would have made things for me easier than to daisy-chain solder those roms. Also any other updates to this?

Last edited:
Hey, guys, my next project is probably a KI multi. Sounds like it’s best to hold off on the multi PCB right now, do we know if there will be an adjusted PCB in the future?

The KI boards are stupid fragile. Anything that bends them ain’t it.

I really want one of these PCBs but I am seeing the bowing. I mean the measurements were slightly off right? so maybe if done right then the boards wouldn't bow. I just feel there has to be several prints done in different measurements for it to fit comfortably. I'm not sure if anyone is willing to even do this. I personally don't know how to even go about printing a PCB.

Last edited:
Also shouts out to @DogP, your rom mod to boot KI2 on a KI board works wonderfully. I didn't need to try to hunt down that ide board which I had only seen once and sold recently last month on ebay for $150.

Attachments

• ki2_conv_ide.jpg
    ki2_conv_ide.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 82
Sometimes it's still cheap even nowadays, there was another one that went for only 20 bucks last month.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/155250031573
Wow! but how often does that even come up? I mean now I have the rom hack but it would be cool to have that for collectors sake. I am still deciding whether to sell my naked non-working KI2 board or try to fix it. I reached out to arcade services since they say they "specialize" in working these boards, I ask a general question but the dude wouldn't answer my question unless I sent an RMA and it was approved. I get he wouldn't field any questions due to a paywall but damn.

Hello,

I am new to the board and this discussion.

Recently i took some time to reverse engineer the decompression algorithm that decompress KI1 & KI2 ROM to RAM and made a tool to unpack the ROMs (works with all KI1 and KI2 ROMs except KI1 p47).
I have also rewrote a boot loader with a different decompression algorithm (LZSS) as i don't know what was the original used, i was not able to figure out what compression algorithm was used.

A side effect of the rewrote boot loader with the LZSS decompression algorithm is that the game boot way much faster and the sound glitch in MAME is fixed (sound works from boot without having to change the volume setting) (this can be seen in the video below).

Then i decided to take a shot at patching the KI1 ( ki1_l15di.u98 ) to make it works on the KI2 board (the other way around has already been done) and here's the result :
View: https://youtu.be/auornUEF1mo

A fully working K1 rom running on the KI2 machine on MAME.
At the end of the video you will see the checksum errors, all the checksum from the CHD and the sound ROMs match KI1 CHD and ROMs, the ki2-l14.u98 (which is in reality the KI1 ROM) checksum will not match any existing ROM as it's the repacked and patched one.
It was really tricky to achieve as some addresses to the I/O were hidden in the data section (pointers) and not only in the instructions.

I will publish all the work done to a git repository in the next months.

I have two KI1 boards and one KI2 board (all working), next step is to program an EEPROM and to test it on real hardware.

I am also working on a custom boot rom allowing to select which game to run by pressing START P1 or START P2 to select the game at boot (when turning on the machine).

Last edited:
Hello,

Recently i took some time to reverse engineer the decompression algorithm that decompress KI1 & KI2 ROM to RAM and made a tool to unpack the ROMs (works with all KI1 and KI2 ROMs except KI1 p47).
I have also rewrote a boot loader with a different decompression algorithm (LZSS) as i don't know what was the original used, i was not able to figure out what compression algorithm was used.

A side effect of the rewrote boot loader with the LZSS decompression algorithm is that the game boot way much faster and the sound glitch in MAME is fixed (sound works from boot without having to change the volume setting) (this can be seen in the video below).

Then i decided to take a shot at patching the KI1 ( ki1_l15di.u98 ) to make it works on the KI2 board (the other way around has already been done) and here's the result :

At the end of the video you will see the checksum errors, all the checksum from the CHD and the sound ROMs match KI1 CHD and ROMs, the ki2-l14.u98 (which is in reality the KI1 ROM) checksum will not match any existing ROM as it's the repacked and patched one.
It was really tricky to achieve as some addresses to the I/O were hidden in the data section (pointers) and not only in the instructions.

I have two KI1 boards and one KI2 board (all working), next step is to program an EEPROM and to test it on real hardware.

I am also working on a custom boot rom allowing to select which game to run by pressing START P1 or START P2 to select the game at boot (when turning on the machine).
This dude’s lapping the rest of us noobs. This guy is just remaking KI in his image like he walks on water and my best contributions to the community are half assed advice and witty banter.

Hello,

Genius ! 😅
Can't wait to test it on real hardware!

Last edited:
Especially this part !

The perfect boot rom hack would be to be able to select a specific zone from a bigger HD containing the chds from both games

The perfect boot rom hack would be to be able to select a specific zone from a bigger HD containing the chds from both games
My idea regarding this topic is the following:

- Create a PCB that will connect in place of all the ROMS and the IDE
- Replace all the EEPROMs by a large Flash memory (flash memory of 128Mbits with the same characteristics as the EEPROMs exists) for the sound roms and the boot roms
- Adding a small MCU that will listen to read memory access to the boot rom memory space at specific unused addresses to trigger address lines toggle to select upper/lower bank in the flash memory
- Accesses to those specific memory addresses will be triggered by the first stage boot loader waiting for inputs (START 1 and START 2)
- Adding a PLD or MCU on the IDE bus to remap access to a single drive (DOM, CFLash or SDCard) containing both games data

This approach while more complex in term of hardware setup reduces ROM patching/modifications (as it may introduce bugs or requires lot of time to achieve)
One small modification on the game ROM side would be to add an inputs handler (something like press START1 + START2 + UP1 + UP2) to reset the machine in software.
I am confident this can be done by putting the processor back to kernel mode, cleaning all the registers and jumping back to the boot rom.

What i have already done is:

- The first stage boot rom for game selection (START 1 = ki1, START 2 = ki2)
- Finding the right flash memory to replace all the EEPROMs (will need level conversion though as most flash bigger than 16Mbits doesn't works in 5v)

I think in a first time in order to keep it simple, i will not replace the EEPROMs but make a board with all the EEPROMs x2 and only toggle which CE/OE pins needs to be driven based on the game selected and have two CFlash on the same board a bit like what has already been done for dual board in this topic but with the extra step of being able to control the game selection in software + software reset.
Then from there i will move to the plan above.

Just an observation from the point of view of a noob which likes the oem look and stealth mods!
There's a jumper besides the rom that toggles high/low and thus allow to select boot [and sound rom ?] upper or lower bank.
[Update: I might be wrong, cause it's long time I ain't played with this stuff. I'm afraid the jumper may just toggles the boot rom, I don't remember for sure right now, which means a pcb for sound rom or daisychain is still needed]
We could focus on the HD and leave the ROM as simple as possible. 8MB ROMs, a bypass board on the boot ROM with a MCU connected to the jumper to select the right bank, and a bypass board on the IDE bus with a MCU to remap access to a single drive (as you mentioned). The interconnection of the 2 pcbs could be done with a flex hidden under the board.

Last edited:
Back