What's new
Finally got my mister a few weeks ago. I've been very happy with it... after the initial set up and configuration. Lots of trial and error, mostly due to lack of centralized documentation and resources.

My only complaints with it so far in regards to playing console games:
  • needing adapters to use original console controllers (is the LL Cool Joy a thing anymore? Will it get released someday?)
  • lack of cartridge support (but I understand that's due to lack of GPIO)
  • lack of HDMI video and audio adjustment options (this is where the Analogue products win, imo)

I have an NT Mini Noir pre-ordered, but thinking I may sell that now whenever it eventually gets shipped out.

Can confirm that original GnG boards flash the screen when too much is going on. The lack of flash on the MiSTer core is nice, but it definitely feels “not original” to me since I’m so used to my OG board. Maybe the flash should be a settable option. :D

Just a small update to share what's going on with MiSTercade (my JAMMA adapter): I got the rev2 prototypes and am stuck on the usb connection between the USB hub and the microcontroller.

Specifically, I can reliably flash the STM32 USB bootloader, which doesn't require USB. Once flashed, the USB hub does not maintain a connection with the STM32 microcontroller.

I was (inexplicably) able to make the connection once, flash the firmware from the MiSTer itself, and see the correct device, but I haven't been able to maintain the connection since.

Who would have thought that 2 differential lines (D+ and D-) would be so complicated?

I've yet to receive rev3 and rev4 (which fix other issues) but have sent for a rev5 which I hope will help debug the issue.

This means that beta testing is delayed but it will all be ironed out before too long :)

Figured I'd write a quick review on the Antonio Villena JAMMA Adapter .

IMG-4307a.jpg

Pros:
- The Adapter is an external device that can sit outside of the MiSTer. This was vital for me since I have a nice console-like case for my MiSTer/BliSTer set-up. I didn't want something that I'd have to ditch my cool case for by attaching directly to the Mister stack.

- Very easy to set-up, once you know a couple quirks to be aware of (more on that later)

- The Xin Mo is 1 USB connector for 2 controller inputs. This is pretty great as you don't have to worry about having two interfaces taking up USB ports.

- Controls have very low lag. I didn't notice any problems with input latency, and since the Xin Mo interface is USB, it takes advantage of the fast USB updates that recently were added to the MiSTer project.

- CPS2 Kick Harness. It seems that this harness has become the standard connector for Aux buttons. Glad he chose to go with this.

- Cool lookin' plexi case. Small and unobtrusive.

- No special video output settings. Just set the MiSTer up as you would with any regular analog settings. The video gets downscaled to the proper 15khz for Arcade Monitors.

Cons:
- VGA port is male. I believe Antonio's intent was to be able to directly mate this to your MiSTer on the side, using his specific plexi cases for both the MiSTer and this. This was a bit of an annoyance because for someone like me who has my own MiSTer case, I have to connect the VGA via a cable, and that requires a gender change adapter.

- Video requires your VGA port to supply 5v. You have to switch your VGA jumper on the IO board to output 5v. Additionally, you have to make sure your VGA cable has all 15 pins connected. Pin 9 on the VGA is the 5v line. There are VGA cables that only have 14 pins connected, so you have to make sure your VGA has all 15 pins hooked up.

- There are files that need to be copied over to your MiSTer's linux folder to get the Xin Mo control interface to work. Those files are featured on his site on the JAMMA Adapter page. I guess this isn't much of a con, but it's just another thing to set-up.

- I don't like how the Xin Mo sticks out of the case like that. It would have been nicer if you didn't see the PCB of the Xin Mo, if it were integrated into the case cleaner.

TLDR;

Overall this device is pretty straightforward, but it does have a couple things to be aware of when setting it up (listed in the Cons section above). But I'm pretty happy with it, and the price seems decent for having an external device like this.

PS. If you wanna see it in action I streamed with it on my cabinet a few weeks ago:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/737492200

Last edited:
Thanks for your review. Same opinion on these facts you name there.

would like to test the one of mister adons one day if it is possible.

I’m still alive and kicking. My day job has been keeping me busy the past 2 weeks but here’s a status update video for MiSTercade:

Subscribe on YT if you want to keep up to date. I’d like to do some more in depth videos in the future. Cheers!

@misteraddons I notice you mention your integrated SNAC requires the bliss controller adapters (HDMI connector), are you planning on updating this to the new USB SNAC ?

@misteraddons I notice you mention your integrated SNAC requires the bliss controller adapters (HDMI connector), are you planning on updating this to the new USB SNAC
I might be confused.

A little history on the SNAC: It was originally conceived by a guy named @blue1 on the MiSTerFPGA discord. I jumped in and helped, making an HDMI variant to work with Bliss adapters, which are very nice. Controller adapters are the worst part of selling input solutions, in my opinion :) Anyways, I we released our solution at the same time and the official MiSTer cores slowly got SNAC support integrated. IO board v6.1's only change was to add a 7th IO pin for Genesis SNAC support. SNAC's purpose was never meant to be 0 latency controllers, though those do work of course, but rather peripherals that won't work on USB, like light guns.

At some later date, a group of Spanish developers came up with their take on SNAC, which they call SNAC-8. It requires stealing a pin from the other set of GPIO pins to get it working. It also requires unofficial cores, and main MiSTer binary.

My aim with the JAMMA adapter is plug and play with little to no configuration, or special cores. For that reason, I decided to go with an STM32 microcontroller, which averages less than 1 ms latency, controls the menu, works on every core, etc.

Sorry if that answer is kind of long, but I'm exposing all extra GPIO pins so people can do what they want. You can disable the USB controller encoder, audio DAC, extend all those through the 40 pin GPIO header and make your own solution, etc. Trying not to have a V2 of the product, but rather use a "hat" to adapt to future options and possibilities :)

hmm, maybe I'm the one who's confused.

I thought the newer SNAC 2.0 had USB connectors that you just connect straight to the USB ports. I though the older SNAC had the HDMI connection...

https://misterfpga.co.uk/product/mister-snac-adapter-usb/

edit: You can see on this page, the USB-to-console adapter boards are fairly straightforward. And I believe I read somewhere you can build your own if you get the PCB printed and ports sourced.

hmm, maybe I'm the one who's confused.

I thought the newer SNAC 2.0 had USB connectors that you just connect straight to the USB ports. I though the older SNAC had the HDMI connection...

https://misterfpga.co.uk/product/mister-snac-adapter-usb/

edit: You can see on this page, the USB-to-console adapter boards are fairly straightforward. And I believe I read somewhere you can build your own if you get the PCB printed and ports sourced.
Oh, that's standard SNAC, which blue1 developed and I made the HDMI fork at the same time. I'm aware of those adapters but chose from the beginning to not use them due to time constraints. People have been really happy with the Bliss adapters :)

@misteraddons nice video! I've been having issues with the mister input system, and I'm also using STM32 - did you manage to get all 6 buttons for both players simultaneously working properly? On the JVS-PAC 2 it 'looks' like it's working, but gets all wonky in e.g. SF2 test mode when you have a lot of input at the same time.

@misteraddons nice video! I've been having issues with the mister input system, and I'm also using STM32 - did you manage to get all 6 buttons for both players simultaneously working properly? On the JVS-PAC 2 it 'looks' like it's working, but gets all wonky in e.g. SF2 test mode when you have a lot of input at the same time.
The JVS-PAC2 is something that the MiSTer needs to fully support.

I do have everything working on my STM32, except for the USB connection haha. Bootsector (RetroPad32) wrote my firmware.

The JVS-PAC2 is something that the MiSTer needs to fully support.
I got a J-PAC for MiSTer and found it to be greatly lacking. It’s better now, but still not great. Haven’t looked into JVS-PAC2. I’m picky with latency and the J-PAC seemed less than ideal for my taste.

Haven’t looked into JVS-PAC2.
I cand send you one if you want to do some do some testing. @invzim was looking into it as well. This would open the doors to people that have jvs cabs to basically have a plug and play control solution for the Mister, no need for other adapter, crazy wiring.

I don't know much about the JVS-2, but should it not work wirhout any extra device or I/O? I mean, it's just connected via USB to the Mister right?

Back