What's new
Received the Mistercade yesterday and loving it so far. What a well built piece of kit! Setup was straightforward with great documentation. One issue I am having with my setup, is trouble with my wifi (definitely location based). I unplugged the Mistercade and plugged it into my HDMI TV setup (closer to router and ethernet) to run the update-all but I don't get an image over HDMI anymore. HDMI worked during the initial setup just fine but after adding the mister.ini file for the 15kHz I no longer get HDMI output. Is this just the way it works? I thought I read Mistercade can output JAMMA and HDMI at the same time... or does the JAMMA edge have to plugged in for both outputs to work?

@thunderclap that issue is most likely due to settings in the .ini file. Try temporarily removing the section that controls the video resolution for the menu.

It will be titled [menu] and the line under it.

Is there a tested/recommended JAMMA PSU for the MiSTercade? I am in the process of replacing my Egret 2 PSUs with new PSUs. Right now I grabbed a random recapped screw-terminal PSU pulled out of a dead Virtua Racing. Lo and behold it doesn't work; rather it just wines and doesn't turn on. Most likely because of the +5v load issue. Anyway, forget about that because it's going to be replaced.

I am considering the Mean Well RT-85A as my replacement. Can anyone that happens to have a MiSTercade and this particular PSU confirm that this power supply works with the MiSTercade with no squealing?

Is there a tested/recommended JAMMA PSU for the MiSTercade? I am in the process of replacing my Egret 2 PSUs with new PSUs. Right now I grabbed a random recapped screw-terminal PSU pulled out of a dead Virtua Racing. Lo and behold it doesn't work; rather it just wines and doesn't turn on. Most likely because of the +5v load issue. Anyway, forget about that because it's going to be replaced.

I am considering the Mean Well RT-85A as my replacement. Can anyone that happens to have a MiSTercade and this particular PSU confirm that this power supply works with the MiSTercade with no squealing?
Mine squeels too. Sad face.

Just got mine hooked up - having a few smallish issues - probably user error.

I haven't hooked this up to a CRT yet - so right now, its running through my normal bench equipment - which is CBOX Supergun -> OSSC -> Samsung LCD panel

1) The RGBs video is "hot" - whites are over saturated, etc. Any way to adjust this?
2) I see fast scrolling bars of video noise in the background - obvious with a white background, not with a black one - anyone else seeing this?

Matt

I haven't hooked this up to a CRT yet - so right now, its running through my normal bench equipment - which is CBOX Supergun -> OSSC -> Samsung LCD panel

1) The RGBs video is "hot" - whites are over saturated, etc. Any way to adjust this?
2) I see fast scrolling bars of video noise in the background - obvious with a white background, not with a black one - anyone else seeing this?

Matt

Swap the jumper next to the VGA port to 75 ohm.

I am outputting over the JAMMA edge - not the vga cable. I can try that.

Tried over VGA - both settings - colors were WAY off.... OSSC was set to RGBs

I am outputting over the JAMMA edge - not the vga cable. I can try that.

Tried over VGA - both settings - colors were WAY off.... OSSC was set to RGBs
Hmm…interesting. I haven’t used one of those SuperGuns, but I know @djsheep tested MiSTercade with his-he may have some suggestions.

It looks like the CBox has an adjustment for RGB impedance- have you tried adjusting it?

Matt
That's the issue I'm having with the colors too. Exact same issue. Also seeing the scrolling noise which is super pronounced on whites.

Shoot the core, I'm running the original Capcom q25 power supply and getting game resets and squeeling and no audio

Hmm…interesting. I haven’t used one of those SuperGuns, but I know @djsheep tested MiSTercade with his-he may have some suggestions.

It looks like the CBox has an adjustment for RGB impedance- have you tried adjusting it?

I haven't - mainly because every other board I have run through it has looked fine... I will pull out my CRT in a bit and see how it looks there - the intended use is for my arcade cabinet.

Hooked it up to my CRT - still have the video noise bars in the background - the colors are ok though - or maybe because I can easily adjust the brightness down.

In a bit I will pull out my meanwell and HAS and run it through that to see.

Matt

Well heck, no wonder it won't turn on. I'm missing the jumper on the 3.3v/5v post. How do I go about getting one??
Sorry, not sure how that was missed but I can ship one to you if needed. Just shoot me an email using my site's contact page :)
Hooked it up to my CRT - still have the video noise bars in the background - the colors are ok though - or maybe because I can easily adjust the brightness down.

In a bit I will pull out my meanwell and HAS and run it through that to see.

Matt
The video output levels are between 3V and 3.3V - just slightly less than the Neo-Geo MV1C. I haven't seen any reports of power supply issues (other than Aurich's) but keep me posted.

The brightness on all of my cabinets looks comparable to authentic arcade boards. Superguns aren't unofficially supported and weren't a rigorous part of the test cycle. MiSTer is easier to get in a "consolized" form than JAMMA form so using a supergun is, in my opinion, extra work for no benefit.

PSA: If you want to run the MiSTercade in a switcher, you may need to replace 2 resistors for the controls to work. I added protection for users who plug in their JAMMA adapter backwards, but that puts extra attenuation on P1B3 and P2B3 lines. I'm attaching a pic of the 0603 package resistors (red arrows) that need to be replaced with lower value ones. You can try slightly lower values or go whole hog with 0 ohm resistors/wire. The user would be responsible for this mod and it's consequences (especially if they subsequently plug in the JAMMA harness upside-down :)

Attachments

• CEB42B4D-2B96-4623-85E7-503E502F6313_1_201_a.jpeg
    CEB42B4D-2B96-4623-85E7-503E502F6313_1_201_a.jpeg
    215.9 KB · Views: 112
Looks perfect with my HAS - so there must be something with the CBOX that is causing the video noise.

I will try it out in my arcade cabinet on Monday - which again, is my intended use. I suspect it will be perfect there, as its a standard JAMMA cabinet (so no extra devices to go through).

BTW - using a meanwell RT-125A in this setup - zero squealing or noise.

The video noise issue was pointed out during my testing. I had the problem with two JJ-CBOX‘s (I got another brand new one sent over to test).

Just confirming that the symptoms of this are really washed out colours, overly bright screen and wavy rolling interference / noise. Adjusting the “brightness” RGB impedance pot on the CBOX just made it much worse.

I have reported the issue to Axun too, and waiting for word back. Could you do me a small favour @mathewbeall and measure your voltage readings on 12v/5v? Also could you test your -5v on it for me please.

As @misteraddons pointed out, being that I was the only person in the test group with this issue, and it was also on a Supergun, it was decided not to be investigated further due to those two factors. Aside from my cabs, MiSTercade was tested on three separate iterations of the Sentinel Supergun by me with no issues.

Paging @Axun and @drfunk2k

Last edited:
I tested my Mistercade on a HAS too, worked fine. I agree, it's not a "supergun" problem. This was supergun straight to trisync arcade monitor though, no OSSC or converter or any kind.

(But really, if you're going to OSSC it why not ... just skip the Mistercade and use HDMI out from the Mister straight?)

Also, when I was having issues with my PSU I had no problems with sound or video colors or anything else, it was just resetting during demanding cores. I haven't seen it happen again since a recap of the power supply.

Ok so I finally tested my Q25 with the mistercade plugged in... It's gotta be a PSU problem. The 5v is good but the 12v is only 5.32 (face palm).

12v is good with no load but with the mistercade plugged in it's stupid low. Guess I have to recap my PSU or replace it... Sucks cause the Q25 PSU is a pain to disassemble.

That's quite a lot of draw, 7v? The MiSTercade should not draw that much at all.

What does the 12v read on some regular PCBs? Could you test a little spread of 'em and report back the 5v/-5v/12v?

Or at least the biggest board stack you have, and the smallest (such as a CAVE CV1K PCB).

Last edited:
Back